Late evening snack ideas

Options
Blair2374
Blair2374 Posts: 50 Member
Morning all,

I started healthy eating on Monday. I have lost 3stone of 4stone of baby weight. 16lbs to reach target. Hoping to get all (or at least most) off for a hen party in Portugal in 7 weeks time.

My problem is evening eating and what to eat. A normal day is :

Morning - 20mins HIIT
Breakfast - Fruit salad or 2 Weetabix with semi-skimmed milk or 2 hard boiled eggs with 1 toast
Snacks - Fruit or celery sticks
Lunch - Salad with eggs/meat, small portion of dinner from evening before
Snacks - Crispbread, natural yoghurt, rice cakes, breadsticks
Dinner - Spaghetti Bolognese, meat/potato/lots of veggies/500-600 calorie dinner
Exercise - Take baby 30min walk or go a 5k walk/run with sister

Evening - after baby off to bed and hubbie and I relax, he brings out the junk tub, crisps/chocolate/jellies. I've managed to eat fresh pineapples/kiwis/strawberries with yoghurt instead or a small kinder chocolate bar at 70 calories. Any other tips/ideas what's nice to eat late evening? I've always felt that's my time to relax with a cuppa and get stuck into the bowl! Thanks :)

PS already going over carbs due to fruit!

Replies

• rutheglen
    rutheglen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 18kg in total, over the last 18 months (some before joining MFP. You have a similar day to me - except I go for 10k hikes, instead of running, and I have my main meal at lunchtime (it's a French thing I think - main meals were always evening, when I lived in the UK), and soup or salad for dinner. My husband is also an evening junk food muncher, and, although I used to eat cookies or chocolate with him, it was never really because I was hungry; it was just habit. Now, when he offers, I ask myself if I am really hungry...usually, the answer is no, so I don't bother. I occasionally say yes, and have a cookie ( this is lifestyle change, rather than diet forever, after all), But I no longer feel I have to eat. Just took a bit of brain re-training. My snacks of choice, during the day, are carrots - I have a huge box in the fridge, ready to munch - so if I feel I need something, that's what I usually have :)
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Have you tried just not having anything? I mean, are you actually hungry or are you snacking out of habit? I think it's important to recognise when you *need* food and when you just *want* food. My Husband likes to munch crisps or chocolate when we're watching TV on a night, I used to join him but now I don't. OK, so I may help myself to ONE crisp or a square of his chocolate but that's it. While there's nothing inherently wrong with snacking, it might be a case of breaking the habit (or modifying the portion sizes), rather than automatically looking for something else to fill the gap. I'd rather have a small bit of chocolate that I really want than a banana that I don't particularly fancy.

On the occasions I do want to nibble I go for plain popcorn, Nakd bars or a piece of fruit, but it's tough because it's so easy to rack up the carbs. Sometimes I'm happy to gnaw on a chunk of cheese as I LOVE cheese, probably even more than chocolate! Options hot chocolate can be good for curbing any sweet cravings too.
  • Blair2374
    Blair2374 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you both :) Normally the answer would be 'no I'm not hungry', therefore just eating out of habit and a 'feeling off I've had a busy hard day so time to relax and reward myself'. I guess the reward will be when I loose the excess weight instead :):)

I also LOVE cheese so cheese on toast is a favourite supper treat but staying away! The Options Hot Chocolate is a good idea. Thanks :)