Portion sizes for sauces (e.g spag bol sauce)

Options
Hi all

I know that one portion pasta should be approx 75g (dry weight). But I cant find anywhere that says how many g of sauce? (I know that the amount depends on the ingredients!... I make huge batches of spag bol etc myself and its quite healthy but I pile it on and have no Idea how much I should put on?) So Approx how many grams of e.g. spag bol sauce or chili should I put on my pasta?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It should say on the box of sauce. I just put whatever I want, weigh it, and log it. I almost never stick to the serving size.
  • stephanieleach988
    Options
    Thanks franc.. I should have said.. not from a jar but homemade.. I do huge batches of spag bol sauce and have no idea what one portion is? half a cup??
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Input the recipe in the recipe builder here on the site - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/box

then weigh it, and decide how many grams or ounces you want to be your serving size, do the math and voila!
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Another way to do it might be to work out what constitutes one portion of the main ingredient (e.g. for spag bol, the minced meat) and then work from there. If the mince packet suggests, for example, that a portion is 100g, then work out how much sauce you'd need to eat to get 100g of the mince. It may involve some fancy percentage-based maths, but this is generally how I do it. Hope that helps!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    another trick is to put all the ingredients (weighed) into the recipe builder, weight the final weight of all the sauce (g)
    set your portion in the recipe builder to be 1g=1serving
    so if it weighs 650g then there are 650 servings
    then when you serve yourself - weight that and log it as n(g) servings

i do this when we cook becasue we usually have leftovers, I used to try guessing the portion size and setting n portions but it didn't really work out as dinner servings were bigger than leftover lunch servings and i had to do more math to get it right (or guess)

now I do 1g=1serving in the recipe builder eating leftovers is easier, so is baking

have fun

for spag sauce i would use the recipe builder for the sause and add the pasta as a seperate ingredient (weighed) in your meal
  • sciencegirl_14
    Options
    I work it out from the amount of meat (as someone said above). I used Quorn mince today but I knew there were 4 servings of mince, and then one onion, various veggies, and a tin of tomatoes fits nicely with it to make 4 servings of sauce. :) but yeah, working it out on the recipe calculator is probably the best way as well. :)