The Doctor of Oz

Options
The other night I was up late after the hockey game looking for something to watch on TV. Nothing was on, so I checked the Tivo and found that my wife had recorded a bunch of episodes of some Doctor of Oz television series. Now I really liked the original with Judy Garland, so I thought let's give it a try. Maybe my wife and I can watch it together. We need a new show, and I'm not watching all that Dancing with the Stars sashaying around.

Well, it soon became pretty clear I wasn't in Kansas anymore. This guy is selling miracle cures and happiness in a bottle.

Pure snake oil hucksterism.

Is this what's driving all those posts about cleansing your diet with those antitoxin concoctions instead of eating actual food?

You're better than this. All of you. Well, maybe not that one guy. But the rest of you. You are.

Stick with the basics and have some patience for Pete's sake.

Doctor of Oz. BAH!

Replies

• andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    I have no idea how the guy keeps his license.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    GDNYDougie2-500-gif_201903.gif
  • Sad_Grandpa
    Sad_Grandpa Posts: 129
    Options

That is really disturbing.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    There's no place like home.
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options

This is what your wife is watching. Do you have parental control options on your cable?
  • Sad_Grandpa
    Options
    There's no place like home.

You're telling me. I've got a big screen, a lazy boy, an elliptical, my handyman workbench, and a refrigerator in the same room.

Of course, that room is my garage. It gets kind of crowded when the car is in there.
  • Sad_Grandpa
    Options

This is what your wife is watching. Do you have parental control options on your cable?

My grandson locked us out of them so we can't stop him from watching pokemon. Those little buggers are creepy.
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options

My grandson locked us out of them so we can't stop him from watching pokemon. Those little buggers are creepy.

IMHO- probably not as creepy as Dr. Oz. He scares the bejebus out of me.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    I hope for your wife's sake, she's not taking his advice. As for him keeping his license? Perhaps, he's no longer able to practice as a doctor for certain reasons, so he's taken to the tube. Stranger things have happened. Look at Miley Cyrus's career.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Why can't the house just fall on the Dr?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Dr Quack. He is nuts!
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options
    Speaking of houses, maybe this is a doctor your wife would enjoy watching. I know I do.

dr-house-quotes-4.jpg

I really like the way he thinks, too.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Wise words my friend, wise words.

I also agree with my other friend here...
    Speaking of houses, maybe this is a doctor your wife would enjoy watching. I know I do.

dr-house-quotes-4.jpg

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Can some explain to me what he is doing and how this has any relation to hip hop?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Can some explain to me what he is doing and how this has any relation to hip hop?

I think it's a 1970s disco move... or maybe one of those 1960s moves that went with the mashed potato dance thing... and he's too stupid to tell the difference.....?

or maybe it's from that early 80s "superman" song that was all the rage at kids parties when I was 6.....?

I give up. I don't know either.
  • shadowcatz
    shadowcatz Posts: 1
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a cardiothoracic surgeon (i.e. open heart stuff). Last year I had the *pleasure* of watching his show while getting ready for work. I'll say, he DOES know his heart stuff, but everything else.....holy cow. I'm just appalled at how all these women flock to him and hang on his every *suggestion*. Unless he's telling you about heart health, don't listen (and even at that, he'll probably do something nuts as a "demonstration").

I also wonder how much of his stuff is purely because of the show. I remember when the woman was hit by the taxi near his studio in NY, he personally came out to help her. Most tv personalities would just go "meh, not my problem".
  • Sad_Grandpa
    Options

dr-house-quotes-4.jpg

Is he taking new patients?
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options

dr-house-quotes-4.jpg

Is he taking new patients?

I wish.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I saw the title of this post and thought nah, I'm not gonna read another one about this quack but then I saw who originated the post and knew I would be in for a good read. I am happy to say I wasn't wrong.

I love me some Sad Grandpa :heart:
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is the same as the Wizard of Oz. Nothing behind the curtain.