What to eat at a BBQ

Options
2»

Replies

• Stephie2612
    Stephie2612 Posts: 39
    Options
    Woah, you guys are quick with your suggestions! Thank you :)

Believe me i would pick meat over salads any day of the week but hey i was trying to sound healthy :P

Like the suggestion of the roasted veg, sounds better than "rabbit food"!

I do plan on eating meat but i don't wanna go too overboard on sodium either but i guess one day won't hurt, might go spinning that morning too, have breakfast and then the BBQ

Sounds like a plan!
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Kabobs is a great idea!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    yea id do what everyone else is saying and allow yourself to eat a burger or 2 there. you gotta enjoy the little things and itll be tough not to indulge in something at an event like a bbq
  • geejaahkay
    geejaahkay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I will echo what so many others have said and will say. Relax and enjoy yourself. Make the smartest decisions you can and don't overindulge. Since you know it's coming up, you have plenty of time to plan. I went to a bbq last weekend and tried just about everything there, but I didn't take more than two or three bites of any one things.
  • mad_lifting_runner
    mad_lifting_runner Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Save your calories for the BBQ, IMO.

A million times THIS.
  • scot30316
    scot30316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a cookout to me. BBQ is low and slow smoked meats.

But eat everything
  • Stephie2612
    Options
    Love me a BBQ!

I'm not much of a salad fan but I have taken roasted veggies to a BBQ before. Put together some carrots, red onion, courgette, peppers etc and roast them in a tray.

Kebab skewers are always good as you can mix up your meat with some good veggies that taste fab done on the BBQ.

One of my all time faves is corn on the cob done on a BBQ, love that!

Sounds delish...thanks :)
  • Stephie2612
    Options
    Sounds like a cookout to me. BBQ is low and slow smoked meats.

But eat everything

I'm just lazy so said BBQ instead of cookout...plus that's generally what we say in Ireland!
  • Stephie2612
    Options
    Save your calories for the BBQ, IMO.

Sound Advice!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

So i am off to a BBQ this weekend and i don't want to go too overboard with my calorie intake!

I am thinking of bringing some salads and things with me and maybe even something to throw on the BBQ but does anybody have any suggestions on what might be nice?

Thanks in advance :)

Stephanie

Well dont them

Have one low fat lean portion of BBQ meat and salads. There is alway temptation, whcih is it you want?
  • Stephie2612
    Options
    I would personally just eat pretty much what ever I wanted and have some calories saved up to cover it, but I know it's really easy to overeat at a BBQ, like at a buffet! Bringing your own food would be a good idea, cos that way you can just stick to eating the food you brought without being tempted by a whole buffet of options.

I second the skewers idea! That way you get your grilled meat fix while also getting some delicious BBQ'd veggies in there too. Beef, pork, lamb, chicken, prawns, salmon - all delicious BBQ'd with cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, courgettes - I don't know what it is but courgettes taste amazing BBQ'd!

Also chicken breasts, or fish is a good option.

For sides, go easy on things like coleslaw, potato salads and creamy dressings but go crazy with the salad and raw veggies!

Thanks for the great advice!
  • TinyBriony23
    Options
    You should def allow yourself to enjoy the occasion and try to save the calories so that you can have what you want, keeps your motivation up!

However if you do find yourself low on calories you could try a quorn/soya burger! I know, I'm a vegetarian and I would say that (lol) but it's an option and they are often under 100 cals! x
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Don’t be that person who is on a diet at a weekend social event like a BBQ. Be that person who knows how to fit these events into their schedule by using some of the ideas posted.
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    lmao I love the responses here. Everyone is like EAT IT!!!! lol. I with you all. Burn an extra few calories that day if you have time and save some of your calories and just enjoy yourself. DON'T eat until you are full though. Stop when you are comfortable. And watch the carbs.
  • bashful817
    bashful817 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself with your friends/family and skip the mayo-based salads and bread. Who wants mayo after it is sitting in the sun anyway? Keep up the awesome work!!!
  • Stephie2612
    Options
    You should def allow yourself to enjoy the occasion and try to save the calories so that you can have what you want, keeps your motivation up!

However if you do find yourself low on calories you could try a quorn/soya burger! I know, I'm a vegetarian and I would say that (lol) but it's an option and they are often under 100 cals! x

Once those burgers are cooked on the grill i bet they taste just as good as meat anyway....here's hoping anyway lol
  • Stephie2612
    Options
    Enjoy yourself with your friends/family and skip the mayo-based salads and bread. Who wants mayo after it is sitting in the sun anyway? Keep up the awesome work!!!

Luckily for me i don't like mayonnaise based salads.....silver lining whoop!
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Burgers are not BBQ. Hot dogs are not BBQ. Brisket. Sausage. Ribs. Pulled Pork. That's BBQ.

Yes!!!! BBQ is done low and slow. It comes from the smoker. Burgers or hot dogs is called grilling.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Roasted eggplant, zucchini (or any squash), grilled onions and red peppers.... mmmmm.....
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Bring a salad, put the meat on the salad, partake in any physical activities they are doing i.e. horse shoes or bag toss and have a good time