Lifting Straps Padded or Regular

Options
Well there isn't much to add in the body of this post but my grip is crap when I DL and I'd like to try the straps. There are 2 versions, padded and non. Thoughts?

Replies

• la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    padded ones are a little easier on the skin around the back of the wrist once weights get a little heavier..
  • wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    No real difference in terms of day to day use. I've always found padded straps to be as uncomfortable as unpadded, plus they seem to fall apart sooner.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I use padded ones. Less pinching on the skin. The padding is neoprene.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shields1847
    shields1847 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much weight you're using, I find anything past 400 on my deadlifts without padding destroys my wrists and skin. That being said, it's more preference otherwise.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I'm only DLing about 185-200 depending on the day
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Neither.

Increase your grip strength instead of going to straps.

farmers walk, grip hangs etc.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Neither.

Increase your grip strength instead of going to straps.

farmers walk, grip hangs etc.

^ I would suggest this, except maybe on your final heavy set you could use them. By not using them on all other sets your grip will get stronger over time.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You can increase your grip strength while using straps, its not either-or.

I have padded straps but would actually recommend unpadded if you can handle the extra pain/s&m type marks on your arms. If the padding overlaps on itself (which it will if you don't have thick wrists) then the straps can't tighten on your arm quite as much as they could without padding, leaving them somewhat unstable.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I have padded straps but would actually recommend unpadded if you can handle the extra pain/s&m type marks on your arms. If the padding overlaps on itself (which it will if you don't have thick wrists) then the straps can't tighten on your arm quite as much as they could without padding, leaving them somewhat unstable.

if you need the straps- you aren't working your grip.

She went to straps too soon.

Train grip for grip.

I'm all about NOT letting your grip hold you back- but switching to an alternate grip- using chalk- and doing more grip training are better options than jumping straight to straps.

By the time I'm at straps- I barely can hold the bar at all and i'ts mostly hanging from the straps and my finger tips.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    100% disagree, are you not holding the bar when you use straps or something? You can train grip specifically elsewhere or you can train grip with warm up sets before switching to straps, as the weight increases over months you'll still increase the non-strap weight. It doesn't have to be so dogmatic.
  • BaldheadSlick
    BaldheadSlick Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like regular straps myself.

On the grip strength argument, I'd recommend you go with what fits your lifestyle. Certainly if you're playing a sport, I'd recommend no straps for the majority of your lifts. However, if you're a desk-jockey, it may not be nearly as important to you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    When I used straps they both felt about the same to me, but I've probably got bigger hands and wrists than the OP. I suggest buying the padded first and if you don't like it for some reason, spend another $6 and get the regular.

And I'm firmly in the "use the straps to continue progressing on the main lift" camp. Unless you compete in some activity where grip strength is a major benefit, I don't see the point in delaying 30-50 pounds of DL advancement while waiting for your grip to improve. Want to know what will improve your grip? 50 pounds of heavier DL, that's what. Use the straps and then do grip work at the end of the workout.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

On the grip strength argument, I'd recommend you go with what fits your lifestyle. Certainly if you're playing a sport, I'd recommend no straps for the majority of your lifts. However, if you're a desk-jockey, it may not be nearly as important to you.

Help me understand how bar grip strength will improve my soccer game. I'm just curious.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    When I used straps they both felt about the same to me, but I've probably got bigger hands and wrists than the OP. I suggest buying the padded first and if you don't like it for some reason, spend another $6 and get the regular.

And I'm firmly in the "use the straps to continue progressing on the main lift" camp. Unless you compete in some activity where grip strength is a major benefit, I don't see the point in delaying 30-50 pounds of DL advancement while waiting for your grip to improve. Want to know what will improve your grip? 50 pounds of heavier DL, that's what. Use the straps and then do grip work at the end of the workout.

Exactly this.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Help me understand how bar grip strength will improve my soccer game. I'm just curious.

_44442581_gazza_jone300s.jpg
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

if you need the straps- you aren't working your grip.

She went to straps too soon.

Train grip for grip.

I'm all about NOT letting your grip hold you back- but switching to an alternate grip- using chalk- and doing more grip training are better options than jumping straight to straps.

By the time I'm at straps- I barely can hold the bar at all and i'ts mostly hanging from the straps and my finger tips.

I agree, use the straps when needed. Dont let grip strength prevent you from getting that work in. But also work on your grip if it isnt strong. You may want to look at Fat Gripz?

2n73ybc.jpg

I use (or used) lifting straps, but began to rely too heavily on them and wound up putting way too much torque on my wrists and I think I have arthritis in them now (probably due to overuse). I mostly used the regular, but might have benefitted from the nice soft neoprene padding? Problem with that is they get pretty stinky and need to be washed often if you care about that sort of thing.

ETA: fixed image
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

_44442581_gazza_jone300s.jpg

Looks like Rugby to me......
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I use the padded lifting straps. I only use them once I can't hold the bar without them for dead lifts, shrugs, and bent-over dumbbell rows. They let me concentrate on the muscles I'm trying to hit, without having to worry about dropping the weight, or irritating my elbow tendinitis.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Skip the straps except for possibly your heaviest set