The best stuffed chicken I've had in a long time.

Options
missiontofitness
missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
So I usually ignore the All Recipes emails I get in my inbox...but one today caught my eye. It was an asparagus stuffed chicken breast, with mozzarella.

Ok. You've got my attention. The recipe calls for 1/2 a cup of mozzarella, two large chicken breast halves, 8 asparagus spears divided and trimmed, Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper to taste.

I tweaked the recipe a little; I halved my chicken, and used a little salt on both sides. I used a light sprinkling of part-skim mozzarella cheese on these while the chicken breasts were still laid out flat on my cutting board; no where near a 1/4 of a cup. I also added a pinch of dried rosemary to to the chicken and cheese as well. I boiled my asparagus for about 2 minutes before layering it onto my chicken (the ends poked out), wrapped it up, and then rolled the breasts in the breadcrumbs, and sprinkled some on top!

I baked it for about 25 minutes, then added around 1 tsp of olive oil on the top to help keep the chicken moist and to help the bread crumbs crisp up. Another 5-10 minutes in the oven, and they were PERFECT. The rosemary infused into everything, the cheese was not overpowering, and the asparagus was perfectly cooked. Oh man...an epic dinner tonight. Served it with some Zatarain's New Orleans style rice pilaf, and my belly was happy. Even with rice, this recipe fit perfectly into my macros and my goals for dinner tonight.

Here's the original recipe I found! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Asparagus-and-Mozzarella-Stuffed-Chicken-Breasts/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=140804684&prop26=DailyDish&prop27=2014-04-30&prop28=Feature_1&prop29=Title&me=1&eaid=5474129

Replies

• SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Book Marked it ...thank you :flowerforyou:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Marked too and I like your idea of using less cheese. I think that 1/4 cup in only two breast would be too much. Thank you for posting.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Well dang it! I was looking for a stuffed chicken recipe today! I made one with stuff I had in the house. Shredded cheddar, bread crumbs, and broccoli, baked in low sodium cream of chicken soup and served over Jasmine rice. The whole meal was under 600 calories.

I'll try this one next because I love mozzarella!
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Marked too and I like your idea of using less cheese. I think that 1/4 cup in only two breast would be too much. Thank you for posting.

You're welcome! The recipe actually calls for 1/4 per half breast; I use around 1/4 when I'm making a pita pizza! Just a sprinkle is perfect for this, and any more would really drown out the flavor.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Well dang it! I was looking for a stuffed chicken recipe today! I made one with stuff I had in the house. Shredded cheddar, bread crumbs, and broccoli, baked in low sodium cream of chicken soup and served over Jasmine rice. The whole meal was under 600 calories.

I'll try this one next because I love mozzarella!

448.jpg
    I have all of this minus the soup.
    Must. Try. Next. Time.
  • anewdesign
    anewdesign Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • R1ss4n1
    R1ss4n1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious (I LOVE asparagus)! I'll definitely put it on my 'must try' for the upcoming week! :bigsmile:
  • back2happy2005
    back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    This sounds delicious (I LOVE asparagus)! I'll definitely put it on my 'must try' for the upcoming week! :bigsmile:

Yay!!
    The asparagus was a ridiculously amazing addition to this recipe.
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    LOL, I got that email too and printed out this recipe. It sounds sooo good!! I'm probably going to make it this weekend :bigsmile:
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish!
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    yum yum!! Going to try this soon!! Thank you!
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    yum yum!! Going to try this soon!! Thank you!

You're welcome!
  • vintagecafenh
    vintagecafenh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Ahahahaha. From the comments:

"This is very good. As another mentioned is was very dry. So I used cream of chicken soup pour over chicken roll. And to spice it up I used 1 tsp garlic, rubbed into each piece of chicken along with salt & pepper."

Apparently some people who used the entire cheese amount still thought it was dry OP?

How did you correct for dryness without drowning it in cream of chicken soup?

Was it that teaspoon of olive oil you drizzled at the end?
    1107p101-olive-oil-teaspoons-l.jpg?400:400
    Did you cover it? Use more breadcrumbs? Put cheese on top? Cook for shorter time? Leave the breasts less pounded. It does sound like a nice recipe but I'd like to not ruin it to dryness and also not use cream of chicken soup to make it taste good, not b/c I don't like cream of chicken soup, but just b/c I feel like that's cheating. On the recipe, not on your cals.

Please advise.
  • Shananigans_
    Shananigans_ Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    looks good, thanks. pinned for later
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Ahahahaha. From the comments:

"This is very good. As another mentioned is was very dry. So I used cream of chicken soup pour over chicken roll. And to spice it up I used 1 tsp garlic, rubbed into each piece of chicken along with salt & pepper."

Apparently some people who used the entire cheese amount still thought it was dry OP?

How did you correct for dryness without drowning it in cream of chicken soup?

Was it that teaspoon of olive oil you drizzled at the end?
    1107p101-olive-oil-teaspoons-l.jpg?400:400
    Did you cover it? Use more breadcrumbs? Put cheese on top? Cook for shorter time? Leave the breasts less pounded. It does sound like a nice recipe but I'd like to not ruin it to dryness and also not use cream of chicken soup to make it taste good, not b/c I don't like cream of chicken soup, but just b/c I feel like that's cheating. On the recipe, not on your cals.

Please advise.

I had no issues with dryness. I added the oil at the end to help with the breadcrumbs and keep the chicken moist (which was not dry at that point). I followed the instructions of the recipe almost verbatim, minus the tweaks I wrote in my OP.

I did not add extra cheese (I only used a sprinkle), I cooked it for the exact time listed in my OP (25 minutes, then another 5-10 after drizzling oil), and used the amount of breadcrumbs I listed in my OP. I cannot control issues other people have had, because I did not face them myself.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    This was sooooooo good. Thanks so much for sharing.. Mine did not come out dry at all..
  • carolmlee1
    carolmlee1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy. Can't wait to try it:.