goal weight for 5'8 or 5'9 females?

Options
any ideas on what a goal weight should be? interested to hear what other lasies my height have thier goal set at... let me know

sw: 291
cw: 239
gw: ?????

Replies

• echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and my goal weight is 175, the high end of healthy and about 100 pounds lower than I've ever been. We'll see when I get there if I'm happy though.

sw: 343 lbs
    cw: 261 lbs
    goal: 175 lbs

I've seen other boards like this though, and most 5'9" females seem to be happy in the 150's-160's area.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Right now I would be happy with 170lbs I am 5'9" I am not small framed I am a medium build and that would make me happy even though all the calculators say 145lbs is ideal.

sw: 312
    cw: 289
  • liscious1
    liscious1 Posts: 1
    Options
    According to BMI Chart, we should be at 160 for our goal weight. That would give us a BMI in the healthy range of 24. I (personally) haven't seen 160lbs since I was in grade school. With that said, my goal weight is set at 175lbs. I think that once I get there, I can make the decision to continue to lose, or just try to maintain.

SW: 235
    CW: 214
    GW: 175
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm somehwere between 5'8 and 5'9. I currently weigh in at 147ish but I've been as low as 128 when I was training for a half marathon. I would like to be back around 135 or so. I have pictures on my profile if you'd like to see. The one where I am holding a medal was my low weight.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 1/4"ish and I'm around 165 right now...I hover up and down 5 lbs. I'm not happy with this weight. It was my original goal weight, but now that I'm here, I wanna lose another 25. I think 140 would be a great lean weight on my frame. I've lost 38 lbs since December 1st. I won't say my starting weight, bc I'm embarrassed, but you can do the math.

I opened my profile so you can see what 165 looks like on my 5'8 1/4"ish frame ;)
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    im 5'8

sw 250
    gw 150
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    5'9" here... highest weight (ever) was roughly 188lbs, but more recently in my adult life my highest weight was 168lbs. Currently at 149ish with a goal of 145. I wouldn't mind going lower but I'm finding the last few pounds REALLY tough to eliminate!!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I'm in between 5 9 and 5 10, so close. When I started, my lowest weight ever was 180 lbs at 17, so that was my first goal. When I got to 190, I realized that I could do better, so I re-set it to 170. When I got to the low 170s, I looked at myself in the mirror and checked bodyfat with a few methods (all of which agreed) and re-set it to 160.

That being said -- you don't have to pick a GW now and stick to it. If you set it too high and aren't happy, you can keep losing. If you set it too low and realize that this is too much work and you're starting to look too thin, you can stop losing early.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and right now I'm thinking 170 is my goal.

I agree with others, around 150-165 is a commonly named goal for this height range.

My own stats: currently at 186 lb, HW 307, start weight for MFP 262.

I started with a goal I thought was pretty lofty, 220 lb, since I had never been under 227 as an adult...then changed to 199, 180, and now 170...so I am not sure what my "end goal" will be.
  • dylangrrrrl
    dylangrrrrl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I'm 5'10" and my goal weight is 145-150. I'm currently 164 with my highest (non-pregnant) weight at 168 and lowest at 130 was which I feel was too low for me. Good luck with your journey!
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think goal weight is personal to you. I really don't care what the BMI says.... do you feel good, and do you feel the weight 'fits' your body. You may get to 175 and feel like you could go more. That is a personal decision.

I'm 5' 9" and over 40....I'm shooting for 175. I think it's more realistic than the 160's for me.
  • 5099peperk
    5099peperk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and I have been as high 180 and as low as 140 in the last few years. Even at 140 I could still lose some pounds in my stomach. My ideal weight would be 135 based on how I looked at 140lb.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    SW: 209
    GW: 165
    CW: 150

I think it's more about how you feel when you get to the "upper range of healthy" BMI, and can you maintain the lifestyle (eating and exercise level) to stay there? Set a primary goal to get into the upper range of healthy BMI, and then go from there. The overall healthy range for our height is 150-165. Ultimately, when you get down there, you could see what looks and feels good, and what you can sustain / maintain.

Once you get to the mid-160's you might find that works for you, and you feel like you can maintain that lifestyle. That would be an amazing healthy transition into that upper BMI level, from where you are now.

Or, as many women get healthy, they find they have a lot more energy, and want to move more. That feeling sets new goals and an even more active lifestyle, etc. That's all good, too.
  • zaniazong
    zaniazong Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 (173cm) and currently at 164.5lbs (74.6kg). I started on March 3rd with 185lbs (84kg) and thought getting down to a healthy bmi would be enough. Now that I'm there I see I could do with a few more kgs less so, rather than setting a goal on the scale, I'm just going to eat deficit and work out until I'm happy enough with how I look.
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    thanks y'all, I think I will set at 170 and see how I feel about that!
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm between 5'8" and 5'9" also. I'm currently around 150. My goal is 135. But having said that, I'd be fine staying 140-150 if I was lean muscle and no fat. I have too much belly and thigh fat right now.