Any Teachers Out There?

Options
I am in my sixth year of teaching. As with every break, I get into a good habit of eating healthy and exercising. My problem is when school starts back, I drop all of that. I am so exhausted because I leave my house at 6 a.m. and 4 out of 5 days a week I'm not home until 6 p.m. Does anyone have any tips on how to stay motivated after school starts back? I have PD tomorrow and the kids will be back Tuesday. I'm really worried I'll slip back into my pattern again. Thanks!

Replies

• charlottebanks10
    Options
    Hi, I'm a teacher but I am actually currently not teaching as I am overseas playing water polo, however I did balance exercise and a healthy diet for 3 years during teaching, I know exactly what you mean in leaving the house early then not getting home until late, and being to tired to exercise or make lunch ready for the next day. So I found for me the best thing was to do all my food shopping on the weekend and then cut up fruit, make meals put everything into contianers and freeze it for the following week so that all I had to do each night was pack it all into the fridge and grab it on the way out to training. The other thing is trying to do exercise before you start work, sometimes if I didn't have water polo training in the morning I would organise to run with another teacher around school so it was more convinient and just shower and get ready, have breakfast back at school. The most important thing is to make changes that you can sustain and find other people at school that can do it with you, have snacks like dried fruits and nuts, cut up vegies like carrots at school and even different types of Tea so that when you are hungry you turn to healthy foods instead of going to the canteen and buying things. Hopefully this helps!
  • memahoney
    Options
    I am a teacher in my sixth year as well. There is no easy fix for that problem. You have to be realistic and prioritize yourself. Your students are important, but your health is very important as well. I try to keep workouts short and simple during the week. It is more important what you are putting into your body than the exercise.
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher, too. I plan all of my eating and take my food. I like to eat more of my calories for dinner, so I get in the habit of taking a mid morning snack and a Kellogg's protein bar for lunch. I also take waters with me. This may not work for everyone, but it works for me because I would rather have a nice dinner for my family. I work out after my daughter goes to bed, too at 8:30 at night.
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I teach, but I have the opposite problem...I'm off until the 10th, and right now is when it's the worst for me. I do better when I have a set schedule.

Does your school have a weight room, gymnasium or track? Sometimes I tell myself that I can't go home until I've worked out. I also try to bring a plethora of healthy snacks with me, so that I don't get too hungry by the time I get home.

We also have a Biggest Loser contest on our campus, which holds me pretty accountable. Perhaps you could start one?

Good luck tomorrrow...you can do it! Remember, over half the battle is just choosing to do it. :)
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! The breaks are great for me healthwise, but it's so much harder during school! I agree that preparing food in advance is a big help--when I can, I use Saturdays to clean, chop and prepare food/veggies for the week. Planning ahead by having healthy snacks and a water bottle in my desk has also helped. I struggle most with getting exercise in since I leave very early and am home late (I usually teach piano lessons after school). I'm committing to be more dedicated to working out this year, which means I'll have to bite the bullet and either wake up earlier or or do it at the end of a long day. I know it can be done though!!

Good luck to you!!
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too, but the breaks are the hardest for me. My babysitter skips town every break so I dont' have anyone to watch the kids so I can go to the gym. I admire your ability to be so dedicated during break. I want to glue myself to the couch and not get up. :laugh:

I start back to school tomorrow and will be making a point to go to the gym right after work 3-4 days a week. Thankfully the gym is on the way home so I'm able to work out first and then grab the kids on my way home.

I find that if I make it all the way back home without going to the gym, I've lost all motivation.
  • jparson714
    jparson714 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your thoughts! Y'all have some great suggestions.
  • Jamaica2
    Jamaica2 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher also. I am doing what someone else suggested, and getting everything ready today for the week. I used to do so well during a break also but in the last few years I have been depending on the routine of work to keep me on track. I often bring my breakfast to work, either oatmeal or a low carb bar, to help get me through until lunch. I find if I eat before I leave I'm not really hungry when I eat and then I'm starving by 10:00.

This year I decided to start saying no to all the extra things people want me to do and workout in the evenings. I have been consistant now for 10 weeks straight. Only missing 1 scheduled day. My feet usually are killing me at the end of the day, but I just put on the shoes when I get home and do the workout before I feed my family and start making excuses.

P.S. I know sometimes people envy teachers because they do get the long Christmas and summer breaks, but I honestly couldn't do it if I didn't get a break from the little ones to get my brain back together.
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options

P.S. I know sometimes people envy teachers because they do get the long Christmas and summer breaks, but I honestly couldn't do it if I didn't get a break from the little ones to get my brain back together.

That's the truth!!!!! We're back to school tomorrow after two weeks off. I finally feel rested, but I know that won't last long...
  • Mgrady00
    Mgrady00 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I am not a teacher but I am about a year away from getting my Bachelors!! I enjoy reading your post though as teachers to see what you guys do as far as snacks and planning your meals!