Beginner Jogger

Options
I am starting my weight loss plan as well as jogging....I am overweight considerably with injured knees from an abusive EX-spouse & extra weight. Is there any way I can start jogging?

Replies

• MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I think walking first would be more recommended. You could injure your knees more by adding too much stress during jogging.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    How about starting on the elliptical? Less stress on the knees than the treadmill.
  • ChristineMiller2
    Options
    I am starting my weight loss plan as well as jogging....I am overweight considerably with injured knees from an abusive EX-spouse & extra weight. Is there any way I can start jogging?

First, consult your doctor :) He will know best if you can do this. I know a lot of people, including myself, that have used the Couch to 5k program with great success but please ask your doctor first as only he knows if you and your knees will be able to do this safely, and its always safety first :)

I admire your enthusiasm! I love running and its taken me a long time to be able to do it. Keep us posted on what your doc says!
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Start with a doctor's review and he/she will probably recommend walking for a few weeks first. After that you can try the C25K program or develop your own. But start slow and log. Log it all so in a year you can look back and be amazed at how far you have come.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

First, consult your doctor :) He will know best if you can do this. I know a lot of people, including myself, that have used the Couch to 5k program with great success but please ask your doctor first as only he knows if you and your knees will be able to do this safely, and its always safety first :)

I admire your enthusiasm! I love running and its taken me a long time to be able to do it. Keep us posted on what your doc says!

This.

Plus, before you even attempt running, please go to a running store and get fitted for proper shoes. It makes all the difference in the world for me.
    I'm also doing C25K and it is going well. (from completely sedentary) --not is easy, but going well.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just start slowly. The C25K program is an EXCELLENT program (I used it), and there are even free apps you can use on your phone that tell you when to run/walk. Love it! You'll do great!
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You didn't give any specifics on your weight and general health. I started significantly overweight. I started with walking only. As I increased my pace walking I started running for 30 seconds at a time. As I lost weight and increased my pace, I started running more. Once I was running for a combined (not consecutively) 5-6 minutes out of a 30 minute walk, I started C25K. Now, 6 months later, I run anywhere from 45 to 60 minutes at a time.

The one mistake I made was not to get fit for running shoes when I started. I only got them a few weeks in. BIG MISTAKE! Go to a running shop and get yourself fitted for proper running shoes.

I also agree with Greywalk. I log my daily miles and enjoy coming back to look at my progress. It also helps keep me on track.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I posted a Heavy runner thread last week and got some AMAZING tips and advice. Feel free to send me a friend request and I'll add you and you can go to it from my page.

I have around 100 lbs to lose and I just started the C25K program this week. But I've been doing work out dvds already so I wasn't completely new to exercising but I've not ran in years...and let me be clear, my run is as slow as some people walk. I have what I call bad knees from carrying all my weight but no injuries so I'd for sure go with what others say and consult your doctor. I did wait until I was 20 lbs down, which I hit last week, before I started. I'll just ice my knees after each work out and continue with my strength training. I did the elliptical for a long time too. It was super easy on my knees.

ETA: I too have shoes that I was fitted for.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I posted a Heavy runner thread last week and got some AMAZING tips and advice. Feel free to send me a friend request and I'll add you and you can go to it from my page.

I have around 100 lbs to lose and I just started the C25K program this week. But I've been doing work out dvds already so I wasn't completely new to exercising but I've not ran in years...and let me be clear, my run is as slow as some people walk. I have what I call bad knees from carrying all my weight but no injuries so I'd for sure go with what others say and consult your doctor. I did wait until I was 20 lbs down, which I hit last week, before I started. I'll just ice my knees after each work out and continue with my strength training. I did the elliptical for a long time too. It was super easy on my knees.

Talking about running pace, when I started switching from walking to a bit of running, I actually slowed down. One of the key ideas of C25K is that if you can be running slower, you're running too fast. C25K is about endurance, not speed. The speed will come with the distance.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Why not start with walking? Also, a good way to help strengthen your knees is on an exercise bike. Another great way to build up is swimming, no joint stress. Cross training will lead to running. Take is slow and don't set yourself back by injuring yourself. It takes time to build your body up for high impact activities. Good luck
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Talking about running pace, when I started switching from walking to a bit of running, I actually slowed down. One of the key ideas of C25K is that if you can be running slower, you're running too fast. C25K is about endurance, not speed. The speed will come with the distance.

Yes I feel like I am running slower than when I'm walking so glad to know that's okay! (but the heart rate is for sure up more when I'm running even if I do feel slower)
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I walked 2-3 times per week for about 8 weeks before I worked up the courage to start jogging. I have historically had really bad knees so I didn't want to make it worse. Once I did start, I only ran intermittently and then built it up slowly from there. Your body will tell you what you can and can't do. Congratulations on taking those steps (pun intended)!

ETA: Once I lost just 15 pounds the pressure taken off of my knees felt enormous. Being down 31, I can now do a lot more physical activity and my knees don't hurt or pop or feel like there's pressure being built up inside them. Keep working toward that goal and you will find knee relief.
  • bnsnwldwmn
    bnsnwldwmn Posts: 38
    Options
    What they said.

Invest in professionally fitted shoes, and start slow. There are lots of programs, books, etc. available for non-runners to slowly, safely transition.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    You need to walk before you run anyway, so get started! As you start losing it will help you before you transition to jogging. Never just start running but work toward it first and slowly add it in. Good luck!
  • joeyzuraski
    joeyzuraski Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Couple things you can do.
    - Level 1 on the elliptical or bicycle, go at your own pace at level 1 for a while before going to level 2 and above.
    - Treadmill would be your last option starting at 1 MPH or 2 MPH.
    - It helps to wear a Polar strap. All machines are built for Polar. Aiming for the Intensity Level 1 would be the first goal before Level 2.
    - Find out your knee exercises and begin light. Extensions, Curls, Glutes, Calves, Abductors, and Adductors. 10 lbs to start with for building knee muscles. 10 reps by 3 sets or 2 sets if your knees give out.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Ditto on checking with your doctor and shoes. But as soon as you are cleared, go for it!

1 and only real suggestion... GO SLOW. I always tell people this.

If you cant catch your breath, you are going to fast... slow down!
    If you have to stop because something hurts, you are going to fast..... slow down!

I-RUN.jpg

916EDAD2257BDBC11888C841F655A_h296_w526_m2_bblack_q99_p99_cKKIEVVXT.png