Elliptical VS Treadmill for losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am a very careful food logger. I measure and weigh my food, yes.

I think I will change it back to 1.5 lbs a week, which is 1440 cals a day - thats what I've been doing the last 3 months.

I've lost 7 lbs in that time - seems low to me.

7 lbs is still a loss. Like someone else said above, if 1200 is scarily low, it will be that much harder to stick to it. It is far better to stick to a higher calorie goal and lose weight slowly than crash and burn with too few calories.

It is good you weigh and measure everything. Are you eating back your exericse calories or a portion of them?
  • mootscat
    mootscat Posts: 14
    Options
    I do eat back most of my exercise calories, yes. If I leave anything on the table at night, its usually under 100.

I also track with a Fitbit.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am a very careful food logger. I measure and weigh my food, yes.

I think I will change it back to 1.5 lbs a week, which is 1440 cals a day - thats what I've been doing the last 3 months.

I've lost 7 lbs in that time - seems low to me.

7 lbs is still a loss. Like someone else said above, if 1200 is scarily low, it will be that much harder to stick to it. It is far better to stick to a higher calorie goal and lose weight slowly than crash and burn with too few calories.

It is good you weigh and measure everything. Are you eating back your exericse calories or a portion of them?

This was my next question??? If you are using MFP then you are to eat back a portion of your exercise calories....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I do eat back most of my exercise calories, yes. If I leave anything on the table at night, its usually under 100.

It is still possible for an overestimation, but I have no idea what your numbers are so I can't say.

(I am a firm believer in eating back as much of the exercise calories as possible, but that also has to be balanced with accuracy of estmation).
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    table push aways and fork put downs

elliptical or treadmill is irrelevant.

do which ever one you like.

I'd also suggest looking in to doing some weight training so you maintain muscle instead of losing fat AND muscle.

and time- most people don't give it enough time. keep on keeping on- and stay on top of your food. It'll happen for you- I promise.

Good advice right here....
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

It is still possible for an overestimation, but I have no idea what your numbers are so I can't say.

(I am a firm believer in eating back as much of the exercise calories as possible, but that also has to be balanced with accuracy of estmation).

Exactly, you have to find your percentages through trial and error... I have established that I can maintain accuracy by eating back 85% of my exercise calories. Whether that be for weight loss, maintenance, or bulking...... I track my cardio with a Polar FT60 and have worked out a set amount of calories burned during Weight lifting... You just have to track everything and keep working the numbers.....
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You might want to read about the difference between weight and fat loss. Weighlifting and walking is best for the latter

Do enough cardio or HIIT to maintain cardiovascular health, Excessive cardio will cause you to constantly battle your appetite.
  • liln5k
    liln5k Posts: 6
    Options
    I had a point in my life where I exercised 5 days a week, lifted weights, watched everthing that went in my mouth, counted every calorie BUT could NOT lose weight no matter what I did...

Fast forward to 20 months ago... I started The Virgin Diet and lost 95 lbs in a year and have maintained it for 8 months. i started at 215 and am now 120. I was a size 22 and am now a size 0.

There are days I eat a lot of fat but it comes from meat and almonds/almond butter. I do NOT eat any processed foods at all. I haven't had sugar, unless it comes from fruit in 20 months.

I still exercise 5 days a week and lift weights 4... BUT it's to maintain what I lost...

It may not be lack of exercise or how much you are or are not eating BUT what you are eating rather... :smile:
  • shortt123
    shortt123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello. You're right- Elleptical vs treadmill for weight loss is a popular topic! I've been involved in sports since I was a child, and I continue to exercise w machines (elleptical, treadmill, bikes, weight machines) at the gym, or biking or running outdoors.

the elleptical and treadmill are both great machines. However, if your not training for a run event I would take the treadmill out of your workout plan. Your knees will thank you. I run on the treadmill on occasion, but bc it has a hollow surface, it sometimes hurts my knees. I prefer outdoors.

If your doing the elleptical properly you should be exhausted after your session. Maybe up the resistance. The elleptical is fabulous total body workout. A great alternative to running is biking. try hopping on the stationary bike, set it on random workout, the level should be challenging and you will work up a great sweat and tone your legs tummy etc.

Speaking from experience, if your body does not like something (running bc of knees) then don't do it, you don't want to get injured and then delay your workout efforts.

Good luck!
  • veganbaker
    veganbaker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

From all the research I have done ( tons over the years) it's best to stick to exercises that your body would naturally do. Running is natural movement to us, so I would say do that. Also, Any of the big trainers really suggest running as cardio. Works your back, butt, legs and abs. Can't beat that even if the monitor on the machine says you lost more calories.