SO frustrating!!!!!

Options
I am just needing to vent today!!! I'm sure there are many of you out there that work in a place where most people's day revolves around food. I too am one of those people because I just love to eat, but since I have started to take my weight loss seriously and start tracking all of my calories things have become even more difficult for me at work. I bring my lunch every single day and everyone else in the office orders take out for lunch almost every day and I'm always just sitting there watching everyone eat their delicious looking food while I eat my not so appealing low-calorie lunch. This is just the way that it has to be for me and I am fine with that!

My frustration comes when I politely decline eating anything other than what I bring for myself, and people seem to get upset. I am always asked if I want to have any food ordered for me from where ever they are choosing to eat that day, and sadly I always have to say no. Today I was asked this question and I stated that I didn't want to order anything and the reply I got was, "WHY? What is wrong with you?" Obviously nothing is wrong with me! I didn't go into the whole I'm on a diet explanation...I simply said that I had brought my lunch and I was going to eat that instead. When people question me about why I am eating certain things or why I'm counting my calories or whatever the case may be, people always seem so upset when I say that I'm on a diet or I'm trying to lose some weight and it gets very frustrating!!

I understand that I am not greatly overweight, but I still have goals for myself and I want to be healthier so I feel like I shouldn't get yelled at because of wanting to be more healthy. People usually will roll their eyes at me and make comments about how I'm not fat and I don't need to diet. This is just the most annoying thing ever. You asked and I told you. I didn't march into a room and make the announcement that I think I'm a fat slob and I'm going to stop eating. Geez people! Get a grip. Just because I'm trying to be conscious of what I'm eating doesn't mean I'm an aneroxic physcho. Does anyone else feel this way???

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    What other people think.

It doesn't matter.
  • Tabithas_Transformation
    Options
    I still have goals for myself and I want to be healthier

This is the only explanation you need, not that you have to explain yourself to anyone. Food is a very sociable thing for people and deviating from the norm (in your work's case, ordering in) is always going to be questioned.

I know its frustrating but your health matters more than their opinions. Try not to let it bother you and keep at it!
  • sashafischang
    sashafischang Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have had the same thing happen to me several times at work. I pack my lunch and two health snacks everyday, and always eat them. People at work ask me if I want takeout or cake for someone's birthday, and I always say no thanks. When they have tried to insist, I have said "if you leave that cake with me, I am going to throw it away". That stopped them from leaving the cake...LOL. In the beginning when they asked why I would just say I am trying to eat better. Then they started to say that I am on a diet. When I corrected them and told them it was a LIFESTYLE change not a DIET, they started making fun of me. But you know what, they are finally coming around, and now don't get attitude when I decline their food. And just yesterday, someone said "I know you don't want any cake, and you are looking good". In time, your co-workers attitudes should improve. And if they don't who cares- You are doing this for you and no one else! You got this! Stay strong!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. Explain it once, and if they don't get it, move on.

BTW - Paragraphs are helpful :ohwell:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It can be but that being said why not have some treats?

Just because you are losing weight doesn't mean you can eat "non diet" foods...

If you preplan for it and fit it in I would do it once or 2x a week (I currently do that) and it hasn't hurt my weight loss...

On the flip side there was a post here not too long ago that a woman felt like she was not being included anymore in her co-workers fun because she always said no...so they stopped asking...and she was frustrated...

My co-workers have sometimes said things to me...like "you can't eat that your on a diet" ....so it doesn't matter really what you do someone will say something...do what works for you.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    go read this post. People are in the same boat. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1270509-any-strange-looks-comments-about-your-healthy-habits. Plus JoRocka has some awesome come backs.

From a more practical standpoint that isn't "diet related" you could simple say that you have brought your lunch and that you don't want to waste your money by not eating it, and that you budget your money so that you only have $x for the week for lunch or something like that.

You could also just stare her down and say, "Back off B*tch, I'll eat what I want."
  • amperry328
    amperry328 Posts: 21
    Options
    It can be but that being said why not have some treats?

Just because you are losing weight doesn't mean you can eat "non diet" foods...

If you preplan for it and fit it in I would do it once or 2x a week (I currently do that) and it hasn't hurt my weight loss...

I do treat myself once or so a week and I know that I don't have to stick to strictly "diet foods" but I'm not going to order lunch from the mexican restaurant down the street or wherever because I want to eat what I brought and counted for myself rather than eat something not knowing how many calories I'm consuming. I don't have an issue with not being able to eat what they are eating...my issue is with the attitudes of being making comments or faces at me because I want to eat healthy. Oh well. It's true that it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
  • amperry328
    amperry328 Posts: 21
    Options

You could also just stare her down and say, "Back off B*tch, I'll eat what I want."

Haha! I like this idea :)
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    OP says, " I'm always just sitting there watching everyone eat their delicious looking food while I eat my not so appealing low-calorie lunch. "

Find a way to score or cook some appealing low calorie lunches ASAP! Who the hell wants to live on crappy food? I'd throw in a 'reward treat" for sticking to my diet and make it fit into my calorie goals.

I always come back with, "I cannot afford all new clothes. I need to avoid gaining weight". It never fails.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Meh - their thoughts, their feelings, their problem.

Keep on doing whatever makes you happy and don't worry about them. They will get used to it eventually and quit asking/commenting.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to tell people you are making changes for health or weight loss, tell them its budget! It's almost always cheaper to pack your lunch - tell them you are cutting back to save for a new dress! Then when you lose 10# go buy one!
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem at work in the past. I now use my 45 mins to leave and go to the park down the street for a while. If I am not there I cant eat it!!!
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    stop thinking about other peoples feelings tell them straight to back off this is my life ill do whats good for me.they will soon get the message and you will feel better for saying it.be strong.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    You can also lie and tell them that your doctor recommended that you watch your sodium intake. Most take out is super high in sodium and cutting that out helps. If they ask what's wrong, say nothing serious, just need to take the proper steps now.

I do like the budget idea. You can always say you are saving up for a big vacation and making a few cuts here and there will get you there faster.

People who are around someone a lot often can be resistant to seeing that person making changes to routine. It will take them a bit to get used to you not getting take out every day with them, but eventually they will not bat an eye at you bringing your own lunch. Accepting change can take a little time. Hang in there and it should get better.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    here's what I do when we plan a lunch or dinner out... I find out ahead of time where we are going. I will then google the take out place and see what is on their menu along with the nutritional values. I then pick and choose what I want... I don't feel like I am being "deprived". I've got a list of menu items from McDonalds to Subway to Red Lobster (and everywhere in between) that I know will fit into what my food choices will be for the day.

If you can't find anything on line, try putting the name of the restaurant/take out place into "search" on MFP... you will then get a list of foods that others have already entered...chances are you will find something that will work for you. I've found listings for independent little restaurants found in my area only listed on MFP...
  • Owl_Green
    Owl_Green Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The only thing left to add is that it does get better over time. They will get used to you eating your own stuff, not their takeout lunches and goodies, and they'll stop bothering you about it.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could make a food pal and split something. Most of those meals are not really one serving.

+1 for the person who says use your doctor as an excuse. Sodium, food allergy elimination, cholesterol, etc.

Pick a day - usually Fridays are fun for a group lunch. Everyone is in a good mood and they will associate you with "Friday!"

...eventually when other people start to notice your weight loss and dedication they will start asking you how you did it!

do not let these people who are not furthering your better self hold you back.
  • Christineg022
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. The only difference is my job actually promotes good health. The minute I mention the word diet or weight loss I get the same reaction. It makes you feel like you need to run out and shove doughnuts down your throat just to get them to stop looking at you funny. I recently had a baby and I am trying to get in shape and feel good about myself again but all I hear is "you don't need to lose weight or you look great" but I personally feel that no matter what people tell you it comes down to how you feel about yourself.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. The only difference is my job actually promotes good health. The minute I mention the word diet or weight loss I get the same reaction. It makes you feel like you need to run out and shove doughnuts down your throat just to get them to stop looking at you funny. I recently had a baby and I am trying to get in shape and feel good about myself again but all I hear is "you don't need to lose weight or you look great" but I personally feel that no matter what people tell you it comes down to how you feel about yourself.

I find that after ladies have a baby people want to re-assure them they don't look as bad as they think they do. You've been carrying around all that baby for so long you sort of "take on" that feeling of largeness as a mantle and it's hard to shake it.

Just say "aw, thank you!" and do your own thing.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Just because I'm trying to be conscious of what I'm eating doesn't mean I'm an aneroxic physcho. Does anyone else feel this way???

This is an INCREDIBLY insensitive and horrible thing to say. You should be ashamed of yourself.