no weight loss

So, I'll admit. There have been weeks where I have been less than perfect on my intake. I work in an office, there are often sweets brought in. But I try to log everything and TRY to stay under my calorie goal (1300 daily). I try to eat protein and veg with every meal. I'm trying very hard, especially in the last week or so to only eat whole foods with the exception of the whole grain rice chex I eat in the mornings. (And I weigh that out to measure it). I also walk a mile with my dog every day. (My dad just went through a triple bypass last month and I promised to walk a mile everyday that he didn't smoke after surgery. I've been very diligent. I even do a 3mile walk on weekends.). I also do 60min of a boxing class twice a week. I'm planning on increasing to 3x a week this month. My stamina has improved. I can kinda tell my clothes are fitting better. I'm starting to see my collarbone again. But that needle on the scale is still stuck at 230.

Any advice? I know I've slipped up a few times. I had a burger and fries with friends last weekend. But I logged it. and I walked 3 miles that day.

I should mention that I'm in grad school, so stress is an all the time constant companion in my life. Nothing I can do about it except deal. It's why I started boxing.

Replies

• Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Just keep doing what you are doing. It is like that for me , I do everything to the tee and do not see anything, then pretty soon I will drop like 4 lbs outta no where, Just keep it up and it will come off. I read something where fat cells actually hold water and then they release in like 6 weeks, Just a thought. All I can say is just keep at it. IT WORKS! I am around 1300 cals and I do about an hour work out 5-6 times a week and I have cheat meals every so often. Sounds like you just need to keep on trucking. I am currently 242
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    My weight loss has stalled, I used to drink loads of water and that really helped, I'm trying hard now to increase my water intake again.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    First of all, this is going to be the first thing people ask: do you weigh your food? Don't use measuring cups unless it's a liquid. Next, how often do you weigh? I suggest only weighing once a week; you should see progress then and not get discouraged by daily fluctuations. However, weight loss isn't linear! Sometimes I go several weeks without a loss, sometimes I lose a couple pounds a week, sometimes it's exactly a pound a week.

Do you eat back exercise calories? If so, be careful not to overestimate calories burned. A lot of people log crazy high amounts and aren't burning nearly that much. It's an easy way to overeat without knowing it!

The biggest thing is to be patient. Your clothes are fitting better - that's very good! You should be proud. If you're doing everything right, all you need to do is sit tight and stick with it. It's a long journey, but when it's over you'll look back and be so happy you stuck through to the end. :)
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    How long have you been stuck at 230? Cos if it's like a couple of days, or even a couple of weeks, then it's really nothing to worry about - weight loss isn't linear - you'll fluctuate from time to time, especially being a woman with all those lady hormones screwing things up on a monthly basis!

If it's been longer than a few weeks, then you may need to re-evaluate whether you;'re getting the calories in vs. calories out equation right. Do you weigh and log everything you eat? Do you use a heart rate monitor to estimate your calorie burns? If you answered no to either or both of those questions then its possible you are eating more than you think, burning less than you think, or both.

ETA: You mentioned that your clothes are fitting better, so something is clearly changing. If you like what you see in the mirror, don't be obsessed by the number on the scale.
  • liln5k
    liln5k Posts: 6
    I had a point in my life where I exercised 5 days a week, lifted weights, watched everthing that went in my mouth, counted every calorie BUT could NOT lose weight no matter what I did...

Fast forward to 20 months ago... I started The Virgin Diet and lost 95 lbs in a year and have maintained it for 8 months. i started at 215 and am now 120. I was a size 22 and am now a size 0.

There are days I eat a lot of fat but it comes from meat and almonds/almond butter. I do NOT eat any processed foods at all. I haven't had sugar, unless it comes from fruit in 20 months.

I still exercise 5 days a week and lift weights 4... BUT it's to maintain what I lost...

It may not be lack of exercise or how much you are or are not eating BUT what you are eating rather... smile
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,242 MFP Moderator
    Make sure you're being honest, and if you ARE being honest in your food log, do you weigh and measure everything? Otherwise, sometimes I can go a month or more not losing any weight at all, but being really diligent about food and exercise. Then suddenly I'll drop the equivalent of a pound for each week I missed (I saw someone else posted that they have the same thing happen... it's good not to be alone, there.... LOL!)
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    I'm writing up my doctorate - so I appreciate the grad school stress.
    1. progress isn't just measured on the scale (try adding measurements, how you feel, how your clothes fit, how you look) any progress is good
    2. you mention trying to log and slipping a few times > it is likely (though i can't see your diary it's password protected) that you are underestimating what you eat. do you weigh everything in grams? it makes a huge difference when compared to logging servings/portions/cups/spoons
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1270280-food-weighing-scale-miracles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/asciiqwerty/view/logging-accurately-your-diary-might-be-telling-tales-on-you-652838
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    3. weight loss isn't linear > look at the longer term trends http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/asciiqwerty/view/so-not-linear-but-the-trend-looks-good-655024
    women's weight will naturally vary daily and monthly
    i often have a flat period (weight wise) accompanied by cm losses followed by a sudden drop in weight, I also always put on weight before and during my period
    4. focus on YOUR goal, is it weight loss or is it really health and fitness if the latter then re-read what you wrote:
    My stamina has improved. I can kinda tell my clothes are fitting better. I'm starting to see my collarbone again.

you're doing great - get the support you need IRL or on MFP and continue to make good decisions and develop good healthy habits
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    It may not be lack of exercise or how much you are or are not eating BUT what you are eating rather... smile

Disagree. The fact is that if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight, regardless of what you are actually eating. Now that's not to say a 1500 calorie a day diet of pizza and burgers is as good for you as a 1500 calorie diet of brown rice and broccoli - it's not - but the fact is if you stay under your calorie deficit goal, you will lose weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html#more-9313

Perfect for you..not saying you are bat crap crazy and starving yourself but read the part about stress...

Your dad had major surgery, grad student , trying to lose weight...cortisol levels could be through the roof making you retain water masking weight loss.

That being said...you indicated you can see differences, feel them have you taken measurments..? pics for comparison? Those are usually better measurments than scale weight...
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    So, not only do you have grad school stress, which no one can understand unless they've been through it, but your dad just had surgery and I'm guessing that put a load of stress on you as well?? Cut yourself some slack! Stress affects some people more than others, and it can completely stall out your weight loss if you're sensitive to it. I'm not sure where you are in your program, but if you're dealing with taking (or grading) finals right now, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't see a loss until after that's over.

The number on the scale is just one data point, along with your measurements and any visual changes you're seeing. You almost never see improvements on all at the same time; you'll see size changes without scale changes, and vice versa, throughout the whole process. You get to count any of those -- a loss on the scale, a reduction in your measurements or just seeing your collarbones -- as a win!
  • McQuownRed
    McQuownRed Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you all so much!

It's just very frustrating. I added up all my miles for the month of April. I logged 42 miles. I don't wear a HRM to boxing class. But the estimate I log is based on the calculator for my weight. I have been weighing my food for about 2 weeks now. I don't go for low fat, fat free stuff etc with the exception of 2% milk (but organic so none of the hormones for the cows) and for greek yogurt (also usually 2%).

Whenever I eat pre-packaged stuff (like the sandwiches or salads at trader joe's or at the cafe where i work, I add in the nutrition from the label or at least double check the number against what's in the database (there's a lot of stuff that is just way off in the database).

I'm also trying very hard to stick to lean proteins like fish or turkey whenever possible. My favorite meal is roasted potatoes (always WITH the skins so I'm not missing the fiber/vitamins) and broccoli. Everything in that is always weighed and measured carefully. (I also count ALL the olive oil I put in even though a lot of it is left behind on the pan afterward. Usually 2 TBSP for everything, and that makes about 4 servings).

I'm also trying very hard to cut way back on sweets. I won't say I don't slip up, I do. But I log it when I do. I keep frozen grapes around in my apt for when I get sweets cravings. Way better than succumbing to the temptation to go to the Walgreens down the block for a chocolate treat (or, now that it's open for the summer, the frozen custard and ice cream stand up the road).

Yes, I have been massively stressed. Dad's surgery was in March. I, unfortunately didn't go to boxing for about half the month bc it was all I could do to just focus on my work. He didn't want me to come home for his surgery. I'm also finishing my 2nd year of course work for my PhD. I take my Research and Analysis exam at the end of this month. I'm also presenting and writing up my first bit about my own research this month for my class. I actually present my entire Research component at the end of next fall.