BCAA with weight training?

Options
I'm just starting weight training and my trainer suggest taking BCAA-Branched Chain Amino Acids first thing when I wake up with a glass of cold water. Anyone have experience taking BCAA's? New to weight training, been a cardio-girl all my life :) Thanks for any suggestions/advice

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    it can be beneficial but it will have maybe....1% effect on your development. so you can go with "any little bit helps" or you can go with "I'd rather spend my time and money on something more important".
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of taking BCAAs first thing in the AM when waking up. I feel the best time to have them (if you have decided thats what you want to add) is during exercise. BCAAs are usually added by people who choose to physically exert themselves while in a fasted state. So I can see the logic for having it when you wake up, but are you going to exercise after waking up or just shower and go to work?
  • SeattleGrl
    SeattleGrl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    @KseRz, Yes, my training session is at 6am so right after I wake. Interesting comment about being in a "fasted state" which I guess I would be in since I haven't had food since the prior evening. Thanks for the response!
  • SeattleGrl
    Options
    Thanks Dav, just trying to understand what my body needs and doesn't need. I've mastered the cardio, now trying to branch out and learn/do more weight training....ouch!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you are working out early in the morning and you're not eating anything prior, then BCAAs before/during your workout are probably pretty smart. Will you die if you don't take them? Of course not, but this particular situation is probably the optimal scenario to be taking BCAAs overall.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    it can be beneficial but it will have maybe....1% effect on your development. so you can go with "any little bit helps" or you can go with "I'd rather spend my time and money on something more important".

Id say they were more helpful than 1% simply because they can aid in recovery. I.e. the amino acids I take notably reduce the Doms I feel after a heavy workout (which is nice).

OP, if youre taking a whey protein powder, you'll find most of them have a good amount of BCAAs in them already so you may not need a separate supplement for BCAAs

It isnt worth obessing over whether to take them before or after your workout - they should still be effective either way.
  • SeattleGrl
    Options
    @rogerOb1, I am taking a Whey Protein powder but I don't see where BCAA'S are listed? Would it be under another name? Thanks for your help!
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    @rogerOb1, I am taking a Whey Protein powder but I don't see where BCAA'S are listed? Would it be under another name? Thanks for your help!

The ones I use usually will mention it on the bottle somewhere, but otherwise the ingredients list would include stuff like leucine, valine and isoleuchine and Id also expect to see glutamine and maybe arginine
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

BCAAs are leucine, isoleucine and valine. They are also 3 of the 8 "essential" amino acids (EAAs) that your body cannot make itself - they have to be acquired through diet. You need EAA/BCAA for making/repairing muscle. These amino acids are constituents of whey protein and other "complete" proteins. Some protein powders also come with extra BCAAs added (if they do, they'll tell you!).

In my opinion, if you are getting enough complete protein in the course of a day, you will end up getting enough EAAs and hence BCAAs. I can't say that I have seen a difference in my performance if I take a powder with extra BCAAs vs one without. Some people claim they help with post workout soreness though, so if that is an issue for you, you may want to try them.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    http://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/articles/the-protein-interview-an-interview-with-dr-stuart-phillips/

FTA
    "Do you feel that branched chain amino acid supplements are of any value to the typical lifter who already consumes a very protein-rich diet?

In short, no! The evidence on BCAAs is remarkably weak as to their positive effects and they are not anabolic. They may be mildly anti-catabolic if you’re in negative energy balance, however, protein (especially whey) is going to be both anabolic and anti-catabolic. Bottom line, if you’re taking in adequate protein then BCAA are a complete waste of money IMO!"
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I drink BCAAs during any training session and I personally see a noticable difference in fatigue intra workout and with reduced next day soreness. When I was a NCAA swimmer I made sure to drink them throughout practice and/or competition to aid in recovery. Although they can be taken any time of the day I would recommend during workout especially if you are drinking protein after your workout.
  • wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I really only found BCAA's helpful as a recovery agent while I was doing a zero-carb diet while continuing to lift heavy.