Need Indian Snack Options

Options
Shalini_15
Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
I have 5-6 meals a day. Below is an over view of my diet:

8.30am - Brkfast - Idly / Upma / Brown bread toast/ Dosa/ bread omlete + 4 egg whites + 1 cup tea (milk n sugar/ jaggery)
10.30 am to 12pm - Mid morning snacks - Fruit bowl/ Apple/ Gauva + 1 carrot + 1 green tea (this is at every 30mins interval)
1pm- Lunch - Indian meals - 2-3 Chapathi + veg/ chicken curry + little rice + dal/sambhar / chicken biryani / subway chicken salad etc
3pm - 5pm - Evening snacks - 1 green tea + cucumber + junk - muffin / puffs + 1 tea (milk n sugar) - but nt enough :(
8.30pm - Dinner - 1-2 chapathi + veg curry

Now the problem I face is during evening snacks. Since the veggies that I eat cucumber etc is not enough I feel quite hungry and end up eating junk like muffin, cakes, puffs, pakodas etc at office. If I dont eat evening then for dinner I will be terribly hungry :(

I am looking for healthy Indian snack options at office (typical cafeteria). I do have options of sandwich but I don't like sandwiches much :( Not a great fan.. I avoid soy products n goitrogenic foods as I have hypothyroidism.

Any suggestions are welcomed :)

Replies

• Shalini_15
    Options
    Anyone??
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan, but I love Anupy Singla's "Vegan Indian Cooking" for snack ideas. She's got a lot of legit Indian street food in there that is delicious. Roasted chick peas, roasted corn, sweet potato patties, bean salad - check it out!
  • kinu21_82
    kinu21_82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    you could try sprouted moong salad
  • vrinda9183
    vrinda9183 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    why don't you try eating dinner at around 6:30PM-7:30PM.
    this is what I do after I reach home from office. Soon after reaching home I need tea and some snacks so I replace those snacks with dinner.

BTW...where do you live?
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    My friend next door lived in India. She snacks on pomegranate seeds and foods she finds at the international store.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I’m not well versed in Indian cuisine, but paneer has lots of protein which would keep you satisfied. Lentils as well.
  • vrinda9183
    vrinda9183 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Try replacing muffin, cakes, puffs, pakodas with veg vermicelli pulav or poha kind of things...these have way less calories and seriously fill your stomach if eaten with tea :-)

also try black chana salad- soak it overnight then pressure cook it with some water and little salt (low heat for 40 mins after 1 whistle) then drain the water and add cucumber and tomato cubes, some lemon and chilli powder if you like.....this is rich in protien with very less calories and almost no sugar.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Any snacks containing chana (I think that's the term -- we usually call them chickpeas or garbonzo beans)? They're high-protein and pretty filling.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I like channa chaat, basically a fresh chickpea salad can be served cold. There are all kinds of different chaats that should work well for you. I also like dahi vada, lentil balls with a curd sauce. Some nice veggie pakoras can be good cold if you're ok with something fried. At my dad's house though there is always some sort of chivda out that we through down by the handfuls. They're not normally the most healthy option but it could be if you select your own ingredients and make your own healthy mix.
  • amigacara
    amigacara Posts: 1
    Options
    What about something with chickpeas or dal? Channa masala, sundal, something like that?
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Eat a heavier lunch and make dinner your first meal after you come home.Always advised to keep the last meal of the day light.

I personally am against snacking,but its your choice,I have 3 main meals,big meals,we eat by 6-6:30 as soon as my husband gets home.We are good.
    you can try roasted garbanzo beans
    http://www.chow.com/recipes/30368-spicy-oven-roasted-chickpeas

make indian variations of that,protein and fat keep you fuller,so maybe add some almond or peanut butter somewhere towards the evening!
  • Shalini_15
    Options
    Thank you all for suggestions.. I see lot of you suggesting chick peas, i will try that and see how it feels. Any more suggestions are also welcome :)
  • Shalini_15
    Options
    why don't you try eating dinner at around 6:30PM-7:30PM.
    this is what I do after I reach home from office. Soon after reaching home I need tea and some snacks so I replace those snacks with dinner.

BTW...where do you live?

Dinner that early is difficult as my work timings are not fixed. There are a few days I get late and so my dinner is usually post 8. I live in Bangalore, India.
  • fitsfat
    fitsfat Posts: 2
    Options
    Me too in the same boat. Evening is the worst time I cant control my diet.