eating

Options
i am 63 yrs old and was eating about 4 to 5000 calories a day. everything was fried or salty of full sugar no fruit or vegetyables. i am not dieting. i am trying to learn to eat healthy.i have not cut any food out of my eating.what i am doing is adding fruit and vegetables and not eating 3 or 4 choclate bars a day plus ice cream and fried chicken and mashed potatoes with butter. that plus more was what i used to eat in a typical day.my dr had told me i was prediabietic. i got up to 230 lbs. the weight was killing me literally. i have so many health problems related to food. i decided i had to lose weight in order to live.so i am eating healthier and have come from 230lbs to 224 in just about a month.i am not going to count calories i am going to continue eating right and when i want choclate i will eat 1 candy bar instead of 5 or more

Replies

• sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    That is a good start. It is all about choices. Glad you are choosing to get healthier!
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Good on you! I spent the first 12 months of my weightloss journey not really caring about calories, just mindful to eat "less" and it worked for a while. Went down from 315 to 265 in about 6 months (lots of exercising but no real sense of counting calories). I then stalled for a good 5 or 6 months despite upping my exercise. It wasn't until i joined MFP and became mindful of calorie intake that i broke through the plateau and began losing again. I'm now down to 245 in about 70 days of MFP. My point is, if you begin to seriously want to lose weight, there is not substitute for actually minding the calories. I was amazed at how many calories i actually consumed when i started logging. MFP helped me get a handle on portions and tracking has made all the difference. My family doesn't think i am on a "diet" and doesn't even really know that I'm tracking on MFP - they just see me making reasonable choices with my portions and the weight is falling off. I hear you about not wanting to "count calories" but it is really impossible to not fool yourself unless you do. This has been my experience at least. Good luck to you and bravo for the good start!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Its a good way to start. :)

I'm similar in my diet soda drinking. I know I should drink less but I have no intention of cutting it out. So now I make an effort to drink more water. (Typically would drink only soda, some milk perhaps.) Since I'm drinking more water - I naturally drink less soda. Same for you I imagine. Since you're eating some fruits, veggies, etc. - you are eating less of the foods you consumed before.

Do what works for you, and listen to your doctors more than a group on the internet. :)