Help! Lunch and Snack ideas!

Options
Hi there,

This summer I kicked total *kitten* and lost the rest of the weight I needed to and now that school has started again (I'm a teacher) I have been coming home every night so hungry that I completely lose it and eat like crazy, I've gained 4lbs back *gulp!* and I am so pissed about that!

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can eat for lunch to fill me up and also some snack ideas I can eat when i get home so that I can fill up a little while I COOK dinner?

Thanks!

Heather

Replies

• esq2man
    Options
    When on the run, I usually do the Jared Subway thing for lunch and/or the Dunkin Donuts egg white flatbread. Also, bring a thermos of chocolate whey protein in simply smart fat free milk (its pretty filling).
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    As long as you have the portions under control, things like raw nuts, cheese, and greek yogurt are good choices. The protein is not only good for you, but keeps you feeling full.
  • clmitchell
    Options
    I try to eat small meals / snacks about every four to five hours, keeps me from feeling "starving" when I get home from work around six. If I skip a snack, and do feel hungry while I make supper for the kids and I, I have a glass of skim milk and an apple, or baby raw carrots. If you cut the apple or carrots up in small chunks, it makes for better munching while you cook. hope this helps. Cheryl
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I always snack on veggies while doing work and cooking.
  • katietsingleton
    Options
    I like to have hummus with celery and carrots. I cut everything up and measure out the hummus for a packed lunch.
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher, too, and so while I'm driving home I always eat a snack. Beef jerky (I don't usually eat meat until dinner) or almonds are easy to munch on while driving. My dietitian recommends a carb and a protein together...the carb provides quick energy, and the protein gives the longer energy.

Low-fat string cheese.

A HUGE glass of water.

Clementines are good because they're small and sweet.

Edamame? Takes a long time to eat, so you can't pig out.
  • katikati
    Options
    Make sure you eat protein and plenty of healthy choices and keep your tummy happy then you won't get starving hungry and fall on anything and plenty of it ! Don't feel defeated if you slip up just get back on track.
  • katikati
    Options
    The trouble with water is it leaves the stomach fast then leaves you feeling hungry.
  • midonhau
    midonhau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    String cheese
    Rice cake
    Apples
    Saltine crackers (1 serving = 10 crackers)
    Yogurt
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    When I was working full time I would plan all my meals for the week (including snacks for work and school for the kids). On the weekend I would bake muffins, make soup, cut up cheese/veggies, get crackers and portion out nuts. It's a lot of work but it was all handy for me and that was the main thing. Totally worth it. :flowerforyou:
  • happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! These are all really great ideas. I was in the habbit of getting meals ready on the weekend for a while but then I sort of slacked off on that!

I really appreciate all the input!
  • suckitup
    suckitup Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

This summer I kicked total *kitten* and lost the rest of the weight I needed to and now that school has started again (I'm a teacher) I have been coming home every night so hungry that I completely lose it and eat like crazy, I've gained 4lbs back *gulp!* and I am so pissed about that!

Does anyone have any ideas for what I can eat for lunch to fill me up and also some snack ideas I can eat when i get home so that I can fill up a little while I COOK dinner?

Thanks!

Heather

Teacher too...hit my goal right b/f school started again, and have gained 7lbs back now that Christmas is over! I may try sneaking into work tomorrow with black yoga pants...hmmmmm. My favorite snacks for work have been:

Sensible Portions - smores snacks (also comes in cinnamon) --comes in snack-size bags (crunchy and sweet)

Veggie Straws - crunchy and salty like chips and serving size is 38 straws! **These two are my sweet/salty change up**

Popcorn, Indiana - Cinnamon Kettle Corn - is just to die for...low calories and lower sugar, but huge portions and very munchable. I used to find it at Walmart but lately have only found the other flavors for that brand.

Emerald - Chocolate Cherry Trail Mix...also comes in snack-size bags

These are the top ones for me that were working REALY well before the compulsive munching until the holidays arrived.

Good luck to you. I am hoping that others will share some that I have not come across yet. :happy: