Why does breakfast make some hungry?

Options
SapiensPisces
SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
I've noticed that if I eat breakfast, I'm pretty much ravenous all day long and tend to be susceptible to overeating.

Found this article while trying to figure out why and thought I would share. It's interesting.

http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I've found that it doesn't make me any more hungry than if I were to skip it, but it doesn't make me any less hungry to eat it. So yeah, pretty much the easiest way for me to have a deficit is just to skip breakfast.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yup. I haven't eaten breakfast in years, especially after reading that article. It makes a huge difference.
  • MelanieSkittle
    MelanieSkittle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article.

I never liked eating breakfast, but always did because I thought I needed to. I had the same problem where one or two hours later I would be hungry again and need a snack. Finally I decided to start skipping breakfast, and I've found that I'm not hungry until noon at the earliest and some days not until evening. I haven't had breakfast in over a year.
  • melissajane83
    melissajane83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If I eat eggs for breakfast I will not get hungry. If I eat anything else I do get hungry. Its weird.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to leangains's biochemical "logic proofs." Nobody understands human physiology well enough to make such a statement based on what is essentially logic, NOT SCIENCE.

The only way to scientifically prove that breakfast makes some people hungry would be to perform an RCT. Perhaps breakfast does in fact make some people hungrier, but if it does the mechanism isn't as simple as Leangains thinks it is.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The only way to scientifically prove that breakfast makes some people hungry would be to perform an RCT. Perhaps breakfast does in fact make some people hungrier, but if it does the mechanism isn't as simple as Leangains thinks it is.
    And then, some people have no problem with hunger after eating breakfast. I can eat eggs and bacon, or oatmeal, or a pop-tart - and I'm fine for 4 hours.
  • itsadogslife
    itsadogslife Posts: 209
    Options
    I agree, breakfast makes me hungrier. I have chosen to stop eating breakfast the last fe wmonths, and just eat closer to noon. Sometimes I fail and eat something at ten o clock as I'm up at 430am for work, but i still feel better than if I were to have eaten breakfast right upon waking.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to why this happens too. Does anyone know the reason?

It definitely applies to me tho I still tend to eat breakfast otherwise I don't get all my calories/macros in. But I never have it first thing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It used to be the case for me, now not so much anymore... but really, it's not much of a choice for me, I'm hungry in the morning.

The question really is why would people make themselves eat breakfast if they're not hungry in the first place.
  • velvet_violence
    Options
    I only have this problem if I have too many carbs along with it.
  • mrsdouglas2014
    Options
    If I eat porridge or eggs/bacon I'm ok. If I eat toast/cereal/no breakfast I'm super starving the whole day.

Could some people be having a sugar dip from what they ate for breakfast ? Especially with regards to things like jam on toast and sugary cereals?
  • feathers823
    feathers823 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, no matter what I eat for breakfast I am starving by 11am. I've been trying to experiment with different breakfast foods but I may just skip it and eat my calories later in the day. I'm much happier with an early lunch, an early dinner, and a snack later in the evening.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Same way with me....If I eat breakfast right when I get up (6am) then I'm completely RAVENOUS the entire day...doesn't matter what I eat or not. If I wait and eat when I'm hungry (right around 9am) I'm much more nutritious with my meals/not starving no matter what I eat/etc etc. I don't get it at all!!
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that if I eat breakfast, I'm pretty much ravenous all day long and tend to be susceptible to overeating.

Found this article while trying to figure out why and thought I would share. It's interesting.

http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

I used to be this way until I changed what I was eating in the morning. Beforehand, I would have something like two pieces of toast and some milk or a bowl of cereal or even sometimes half a bagel with melted cheese on it and I'd be starving by the time 9:00 came. I mentioned something to a lawyer at work and he told me that I should try eating protein at breakfast.

Since then pretty much every work day I've either had scrambled eggs and some fruit or more recently, half a bagel with an egg on top and some strawberries. I'm good now until about 11:00 which is fine since my lunch is at 11:45 each day.

I've just learned that if I don't have a decent source of protein in every meal, I'm starving not even two hours later.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It used to be the case for me, now not so much anymore... but really, it's not much of a choice for me, I'm hungry in the morning.

The question really is why would people make themselves eat breakfast if they're not hungry in the first place.

I think a lot of people do it because eating in the morning is what jumpstarts our metabolism for the whole day.