Lifting to lose fat, not working! HELP!!

Options
Hello all! I am relatively inconsistent on my logging so I hope you will forgive me!. I have been doing a modified version of Starting Strength for about two and a half months now and have been logging my cals and eating clean (mostly Paleo-ish) for as long. Specifially my routine looks like this: (Day A) 10-minute mile for a quick warm-up (this is a recent addition, less than two weeks old), squats 3sets of 5 reps (currently @ 104 lbs), deadlift 1x5 (125lbs), overhead press 3x5 (50lbs), then some accessory work (assisted pull-ups and core work), alternating with (Day B) 10 minute mile warmup, squat, bench press 3x5 (75lb), then accessory dips, bodyweight rows, and core work. Usually An hour to an hour and a half three times a week. I try to eat under 1500 calories. Sometimes it is hard, but I still usually eat cleanly. I always have prepared all my foods from scratch and all that. Problem is, I am still not losing actual weight, and size-wise I am noticing small changes in my shape, but not my size! I am currently breastfeeding, and I dont sleep well (baby-life!), but I need to see results! Am I needing to eat more, less, be more patient, up my reps, increase my cardio?? Help please!!! Thanks in advance. Sorry for being so long-winded!

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    There's a lot going on in your life. Stress, lack of sleep, and lack of adequate intake can cut off your milk supply. Might want to reset your priorities a bit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 1500 calories net or gross?

Let me rephrase that: are you adding the approximately 500 calories that you should be adding for your breastfeeding?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    A) Can you open your diary?

B) If you're not logging consistently, that's probably the root of your problem.

C) At only 1500 calories, are you eating your exercise calories back?

D) 1500 is a really low number, especially if you're breastfeeding (Assuming you're actually taking in only 1500 calories as you state your logging is inconsistent)
  • RubyPeytonLeyla
    Options
    My baby is almost two. Shell be fine. Im not concerned with milk supply. Im concerned with looking like the marshmallow man ;)
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure everything you eat and be consistent.

It's only been 2 months. Start weighing and measuring everything and keep adding weight to your lifts. It will happen. It takes time.
  • RubyPeytonLeyla
    Options
    I think I opened my diary. I tried anyway. There are days when I go over towards 1800, but when I dont log I write it down in my notebook. My wifi is fickle out here in the boondocks. And given that my baby is near weaning, I am unconcerned with milk supply. It wouldnt be the worst thing if my milk dried up. So no, I am not usually eating more than 1500-1800. I do not count for exercise calories or breastfeeding calories used.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    OK... if you're breastfeeding... and you're lifting... and you're only eating 1500 calories or less.. there is your problem right there. I eat a minimum of 1500 on non-lifting days but always add a couple hundred calories on days I lift and make sure to get more protein those days as well. You're working your body too hard and not giving it the nutrients it needs to produce milk and repair those muscles. Eat more.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    If you not losing weight you are NOT in a deficit. Log your food correctly and get a digital food scale and weigh ALL your foods.
  • RGv2
    Options
    My baby is almost two. Shell be fine. Im not concerned with milk supply. Im concerned with looking like the marshmallow man ;)

I brought it up as breastfeeding requires extra calories as well.

As others said though, if you're logging isn't on point, that probably your issue.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    You've gotten really good advice here I will add that lifting is going to change your shape. But. And here's the problem, if you're not in a calorie deficit, you're not going to lose weight. If you're not logging consistently, you don't know what you're eating. You can't be SURE you're in a calorie deficit.

Follow the advice and start weighing/measuring and logging consistently. Give it 4 - 6 weeks and then decide if you need to eat more or less. Keep lifting though. You will love the results!

Best of luck!
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Am I needing to eat more - no
    less - no, as others have already said, you need to understand how much you are eating now before you can understand what to do regarding food quantity. You didn't mention macros but as long as you hit calories and protein (125ish grams for you) while doing starting strength you should be fine.

be more patient - yes, this is a long road. 0.5 to 1 lb loss per week, on average
    up my reps - no, not if you goal is fat loss, as it won't change anything
    increase my cardio - yes, or replace walking with HIIT intervals. I didn't see where you actually pointed out what you do for cardio but adding cardio can help, as long as you don't eat more food as a result of the extra activity.

If you want to lose weight, your #1 priority is food intake. You are looking to overcome it with your diet but food intake is where it is at. You either need to log consistently or put together a meal plan with exact quantities. Here's a good writeup on how to log accurately:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+accurately

Hope this helps.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Just reading the title, without reading anything more, my answer was this: You are eating more than you think, or you haven't given it enough time.

After reading the details, yes, you definitely need to give it more time. Regarding your eating, you may not be eating enough *if you are actually logging accurately*. If not, then fix that first.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Problem is, I am still not losing actual weight, and size-wise I am noticing small changes in my shape, but not my size!

Shape changes are a good thing. Ditch the scale and use a tape measure.

Aside from the other things people have mentioned, keep in mind, too, that the body starts retaining more water when under the stress load of a high intensity routine. That alone can mask any lost weight. Additionally, such exercises prompt the body to store more calcium in the bones, increasing their density, and keeping you from seeing as much change on the scale. Also, it's only been two months. If this is your first time lifting, you can get some "newbie gains."

These three things, while individually wouldn't do a lot to mask weight loss, combined might be enough. Add to that the stress on your body from (likely) under-feeding and nursing, and the amount of cortisol running through your system might be enough to stop things, too.

And sorry, but your body is going to do everything it can to keep the milk running as long as there's demand, so regardless of how much or how little you eat, you're still burning calories producing milk. Either eat more or wean your baby. Otherwise, you're just hurting yourself.

That said, eat more at maintenance and keep lifting. Changes will be slower, and you'll likely not see the scale move, but your measurements will go down. Two months, though, isn't really long enough to tell too much, especially with the stress you're putting on your body. If you lost more weight before, that will look like a sprint compared to the last few percentage points of body fat. But that's a good thing, because it means you're retaining more lean mass.

And finally --- http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I really think you need to get more serious about logging if you want to see a difference. It's SO easy to overestimate what we eat!

Good luck!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I am relatively inconsistent on my logging so I hope you will forgive me!

It doesn't matter what kind of exercise you do if you are not eating the right amount of calories.

Get your intake down. That will get results. Good luck!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

As others said though, if you're logging isn't on point, that probably your issue.

Not a whole lot extra for a 2 year old who is nursing. Just FYI :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I am relatively inconsistent on my logging

dial that in and youll see and feel the results.
  • RGv2
    Options

Not a whole lot extra for a 2 year old who is nursing. Just FYI :)

And how was I supposed to know it was a 2yr old from
    I am currently breastfeeding, and I dont sleep well (baby-life!)