Starting Again and Looking for Friends

Options
Hey everyone! I'm not exactly new here. I was logging pretty regularly back before the new year and then I stopped and got lazy and gained a couple more pounds as punishment. Now I'm coming back and I really want to make it work this time. I do have a few challenges that I need to figure out a way around that come with living in China. For example knowing what exactly how many calories would be in the food my in-laws make everyday =p They tend to cook healthy enough by usually adding lots of veggies with little meat or tofu. Down side is they use tons of oil to stir-fry. I try cooking but they aren't fans of American food so they try to keep me out of the kitchen lol. My whole plan for now is to eat less than I was before, cut back on sugar filled drinks until I am able to just not have them at all and exercise. I'm gonna start taking my dogs on nice long walks through the parks around here most days and mix in some yoga and then basic stuff like push-ups(right now I can't even do one =p), crunches or other things along those lines that I can do in my room. This is all until I move back to the States in late June and can hopefully join some type of gym and then add in some strength training as well.

Any way this whole post is mostly cause I'm looking for lots of new friends to join me on my journey and maybe give me a nice swift kick in the rear if I start to slack off lol.

Hope to hear from you all soon!
~Carol

Replies

• Margarita8998
    Options
    Hi Carol

I'm exactly like you - have been super slack and not making a conscious effort at all. I have a holiday in July that I am using as motivation to get started and see some results. I find my biggest struggle is eating, I live in a house where there is a lot of food - healthy and unhealthy and I just seem to have no self control. Are you going to be doing this with your partner? And do you think interval training is good? Happy to push you if you push me!

All the best.
  • ForCharlotte
    ForCharlotte Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be trying this alone. My husband has put on some weight recently but still super skinny lucky Asians lol. I just drag him out for evening walks for now. I've heard interval training is good and I was thinking about trying some things out for that, but I was hoping to get under 200 first to protect my knees a little more. Always have had knee problems =( Any way sending you a friend request now let the pushing begin =)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine the challenges of living in a different culture, country. Sounds like you are starting with a good plan: eating smaller portions and moving more.

One thing I have learned about my body: it can handle more than I think. I was in a car accident (over 11 years ago) and broke my legs. Got back up & moving soon after, but thought I could never run or do anything really strenuous. Do have to be somewhat careful of my knees and such, but ultimately figured out my fitness level and lack of activity was more to blame than the prior injury. Who knew? I'm not a great runner, but do a little (slowly - hubby gives me grief that I shouldn't count it as running but its not about him LOL) and its a work in progress.
  • Dylllie
    Dylllie Posts: 72
    Options
    Hello! I wish you tons of luck on your journey! If you need someone to chat with, feel free to message me! (:
  • Getfit2lookgood
    Getfit2lookgood Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You can do this - we all fall down - the good thing about this is that you have made the commitment to yourself to get healthy again.
    I can't imagine how different it will will be living in a differnt culture as well as the dietary norms....
    Keep up the effort - you are worth it and you can do it.
    Feel free to message or add me...
    Here is to you!
  • desperatelyseekingLisa
    Options
    Hi Carol... I understand your pain. I left and came back. I decided to try Weight Watchers which actually works but so so so so slowly. I'll be your friend and if you need me I'm home all the time. I love motivating people who motivate me! Good luck and lets do this.
  • daviddjhonna
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm not exactly new here. I was logging pretty regularly back before the new year and then I stopped and got lazy and gained a couple more pounds as punishment. Now I'm coming back and I really want to make it work this time. I do have a few challenges that I need to figure out a way around that come with living in China. For example knowing what exactly how many calories would be in the food my in-laws make everyday =p They tend to cook healthy enough by usually adding lots of veggies with little meat or tofu. Down side is they use tons of oil to stir-fry. I try cooking but they aren't fans of American food so they try to keep me out of the kitchen lol. My whole plan for now is to eat less than I was before, cut back on sugar filled drinks until I am able to just not have them at all and exercise. I'm gonna start taking my dogs on nice long walks through the parks around here most days and mix in some yoga and then basic stuff like push-ups(right now I can't even do one =p), crunches or other things along those lines that I can do in my room. This is all until I move back to the States in late June and can hopefully join some type of gym and then add in some strength training as well.

Any way this whole post is mostly cause I'm looking for lots of new friends to join me on my journey and maybe give me a nice swift kick in the rear if I start to slack off lol.

Hope to hear from you all soon!
    ~Carol
    I so envy you. My fav food in one of my fav countries..... But the good thing is that walking, and biking are some of the prefered modes of transportation there. Second the food is not all that bad for you when you are on your feet all the time. Try looking up what you are eating first on google to get an idea of what it is and what the average calorie count is for the meal. Then try looking it up on your MFP log. I know it means more work. But it will be worth it. Besides, how often can you honestly say you are eating some of the most delish food on the earth.... every freaking DAY!!!! ( so jealous right now)
  • mattaturtle
    mattaturtle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Add Me! I log everyday...
  • mrsjesstaylor
    mrsjesstaylor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I will join you. I gained 50 pounds over the past six years (new job, new house, getting married). We are thinking about kids in the near future and I really wanted to be healthy and in shape first. I've lost 30 lbs and have 15-20 more to go! I have hit a plateau, so I would be happy to have a new friend on this journey.
  • alg42
    alg42 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi there

Wishing you lots of luck on your journey. I have lived in China for a few months and found the food too tasty to resist! I have also lived in UAE so know how hard it can be living abroad in a different culture. I've been on MFP, lost weight, put it back on, come back etc etc! This time I'm determined to lose the weight and keep it off :-)
  • mrsjesstaylor
    mrsjesstaylor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Funny- just read your profile and we have quite a but in common. Pretty much all your bullets for "why" have been mine. Also my husband has a love for China. He teaches a history course and brings students there every year. He also studied in harbin!
  • NikiaSue
    NikiaSue Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Add Me! I log everyday...

^ me too. good luck
  • ForCharlotte
    ForCharlotte Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the support everyone! I'm so happy to have even more awesome friends to share this experience with. I hope no one misunderstood me when I was talking about the Chinese food earlier. The food in Harbin is amazing and that is part of my problem here hehe. I feel sooo much better hearing from some of you that you have gone through the same problems as me. It just feels nice to know it isn't just me that is having a bit of issues =)
  • Skittle_BoomBoom
    Options
    Hello! I am a very supportive friend and check myfitnesspal daily. Feel free to add me for support! :)