Blood pressure success stories?

Options
Dcioby73
Dcioby73 Posts: 18 Member
I was wondering if some of you have had some radical changes in your BP as a result of exercising more and eating a healthier diet.

I'm currently at 138/92, I'm 40 y.o, 6'2" and about 230 lbs (on a good day, ha!). I ve tried BP meds before, and while they do a good job lowering the BP, I found my sex drive floundering. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks

Replies

• pucklemore
    pucklemore Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was never focus on blood pressure but since my gym had a machine, I would go there and get my bp checked (also counted as a place for me to rest after a workout). When I started about 3 months ago, I was in my 120s/80s but now I am 110ish/74ish. I've been doing zumba and some weight lifting. I would definitely suggest exercise and diet change over bp meds. Good luck!
  • saladhead123
    saladhead123 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    Yes, I was getting readings as high as 163/103 and my doc said its time to lose weight and she also put me on a diuretic to lose some water weight that had been creeping up on my ankles. I am not on BP meds, just the water pill. That was at the beginning of February and I've since shed 22 pounds and my BP has stabilized at a textbook 120/80. I'm nearing the end of my diuretic prescription and am assuming I may regain a few water pounds, but I am now on this weight loss journey for the long haul, so I'm staying focused on the long term weight loss. I am 34 yrs old, sw was 206, cw is 184, gw is 160. I'm 5'9. I am walking more and eating at a deficit. :wink: hope that helps!
  • perfectlytrained
    perfectlytrained Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Through my strength training program and macros/calories restrictions (started 6 months ago), I was able to get off hypertension meds after 3 months... I've had to take them for 5 years with readings as high as 175/105... I check my blood pressure religiously every morning and I'm usually around 115/70ish now... that's a huge victory for me, and I am so determined to not go back to where I was before...
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    I went from elevated to high blood pressure as I gained weight and it got to the point where my doctor was going to put me on meds for it. He never did though and since that time I have lost 70lbs and work out faithfully, my readings are now always in the normal range. It took a bit of time but I did see my numbers come down slowly (I use a home bp monitor).
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I guess this might count as a success story?

My family members all have high blood pressure and needed meds in their early 30s. I don't.... yet..... but I need to do a BP log about every six months. I do, it's slightly elevated, but not to the point of requiring meds.

I've been running since I was in my mid-twenties. My doctor says I might never need meds if I don't end up overweight, but is pretty sure I will if I do.

Actually, there IS something I've been doing that has lowered my blood pressure a bit over the past year. I drink a cup of hibiscus tea every night before bed. This past year, I've been in the 120 / 90 range in the doctor's office. Usually, they peg me about 138/110 there.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    It's not really radical because mine was never high, but as I've added more exercise and dropped weight (40 lbs as of last physical) it's dropped from consistently being 120/80 to 105/60. I'm sorta eager to see what I get the next time I go for a physical, because I'm 20 more lbs down now.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Running does AMAZING things for my BP. Same weight, same diet, same everything, but when I'm not running regularly, my BP tends to run around 130/80. When I am running regularly, it's more like 110/70. It's incredible. Could just be me, but it's worth a shot.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, it is the only thing that I haven't been able to reverse with diet and exercise...I'm off all of my other meds besides my BP meds. In my case, it's more about heredity than it is diet and exercise because I rock both of those and I still run around 163/110 with a RHR of 110 without my meds.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    My husband is also on MFP but he's not too active on these forums...he is very healthy and at a good weight, but went in for an elective medical procedure about 18 months ago and his BP was pretty high. That was a surprise and quite alarming to him. He managed to get it down to normal levels in just a few months by controlling his sodium intake much more carefully. It was actually quite simple for him to reduce the amount of canned vegetables and tortillas, chips, etc, that he ate, and be more cautious about the sodium in restaurant food, especially Chinese and Mexican. He made some small swaps, like buying tomato sauce with no salt added and flavoring it with garlic, wine & spices...so good. He still eats all of the same stuff as before, pretty much, but watches it and keeps it to a lower level and his BP has been normal ever since.

Of course that won't work for everyone in the same way but maybe worth a try?
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have hypertension that is in part due to a kidney transplant and the associated medications; I was up at 190/110 at one doctor's visit, at which time they turned me around and said "go see your transplant doc and get on BP meds /now/". I've lost about 20 pounds in the past year, and my BP has definitely gone down! I was at 110/70 at a recent appointment, and my doc is talking about reducing my dosage if my BP continues to drop (which I hope will happen as I continue to lose weight and exercise). I may never be able to be totally off it, but a lower dose would be a triumph.

One huge thing that I've found helpful about MFP is the ability to track your sodium intake. I still struggle with it- so much food has added salt- but just being aware of how much sodium I'm taking in has been helpful in reducing it. I think reducing salt in my diet has had as much effect on my blood pressure as losing weight has. If you're interested, try googling the DASH diet- it's a scientific, peer-reviewed program from the NIH that's been shown to help reduce blood pressure (it's not specifically designed for weight loss, but you can incorporate a lot of its recommendations in a weight loss plan.)
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My husband is also on MFP but he's not too active on these forums...he is very healthy and at a good weight, but went in for an elective medical procedure about 18 months ago and his BP was pretty high. That was a surprise and quite alarming to him. He managed to get it down to normal levels in just a few months by controlling his sodium intake much more carefully. It was actually quite simple for him to reduce the amount of canned vegetables and tortillas, chips, etc, that he ate, and be more cautious about the sodium in restaurant food, especially Chinese and Mexican. He made some small swaps, like buying tomato sauce with no salt added and flavoring it with garlic, wine & spices...so good. He still eats all of the same stuff as before, pretty much, but watches it and keeps it to a lower level and his BP has been normal ever since.

Of course that won't work for everyone in the same way but maybe worth a try?

Just want to second these! I love to cook, and I started to buy a lot more low-salt and no salt added ingredients, just so I had more control over the sodium content. Fortunately there are a lot of good options available that can be easily substituted in. And you can add salt at the table if your food needs it, but if you're seasoning to taste, I think you tend to add less salt.
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was diagnosed with high bp when I turned 40. Mine was all weight related as I was 237 lbs.
    I was on 3 medications for it! Almost a year after this I finally woke up and started to get the weight off. As it came off, the medicines had been reduced in dosages and then removed. Now I am just taking a small dosage of 1 last pill of which I hope the Dr will let me say good bye to this next appt. I feel better than ever on all accounts! My bp has been very normal for quite some time now. :wink:
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've been taking various blood pressure meds since I was 31 and not overweight at that time. I take three meds right now (two pills - one is a combo). The meds have changed over the years depending on other things I have going on. In the last few years even with meds it ran at 140/90 give or take depending on the day. Having said that, my blood pressure is weight (and stress) sensitive and since I've lost a little weight and do just 30 minutes of exercise a day it is consistently down in a healthy range (no change in meds though). If I lose a little more I might ask to try and eliminate the med that I think causes some fatigue.

My resting pulse is way down too.
  • Devasation
    Devasation Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at the age of 26 (150/115), and was placed on medication. I'm now 33 (will be 34 in September). Started working out at the beginning of 2013, and got my nutrition on track. Blood pressure is 110/65.
  • 13Cheryl11tom
    13Cheryl11tom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    At my last two doctor appts. my blood pressure was starting to creep up to 130/80. My doctor said that if it did not come down, I may have to consider taking BP meds. I hate the idea of taking meds, so I was motivated to get it down. About a week ago, I went to the doctor, almost afraid of what my BP would be. It was 110/80. Tracking my food and exercising the last few months did the trick.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    130ish/90ish to 118/73 at my last checkup. Medication I was on had helped contribute to both my weight gain and my blood pressure issues. Being removed from it as well as exercise have helped to lower it quite a bit in just two months.
  • melissajane83
    melissajane83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with high bp since my early 20s. I lost a bunch of weight and got off my meds around 25 years old. Then I got pregnant and ate like crap and have been back on meds for 4 years. Sooooo, one of my goals is to get back off them. :)
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, my BP is just high. Has been ever since I can remember... Through skinny and fat, sickness and in health. I blame my mother and her bad genes.

Fortunately, mine is controlled by a simple water pill. The only time my mom's was ever normal without medication is when she was pregnant with me. I wonder if I'll be the same.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    at my last physical - Jan 2 - my BP was 137/95
    today - 40lbs less and exercising every day, BP 116/72

I think this qualifies as success!
  • fitfoutch
    fitfoutch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had high blood pressure when I was pregnant with my 1st, (21 yrs old) that just never went away, regardless of pregnant or not. I was miserable being on medication that made me very tired. While going through a divorce, I decided I needed to get off meds and have enough energy to be a single mom. I was never overweight exactly outside of pregnancy, but I didn't exercise at all, and ate just kinda whatever. I've spent the last 4 years working on my health, going from walking, to running, to lifting and HIIT types of cardio, plus a diet of mostly veggies, fruit, meat, dairy and some grains. I haven't taken any meds in years! I take my BP every few days, my last was 106/68 with resting heart rate of 51! It can be done!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!