Mom training son kicked out of LA Fitness

Options

Replies

• HedgeHugs
    HedgeHugs Posts: 80
    Options
    Saw it on the news this morning too. I think its really ridiculous like her son said.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    from what I gather it looks like LA fitness is just trying to get some free publicity, "any publicity is good publicity" and seeing all the attention planet fitness got for their ridiculousness probably fueled these actions.
  • LeahBelcastro
    LeahBelcastro Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This is so stupid! I can't even comprehend how dumb LA fitness is. It was her SON! It's not like she was going up to random people and fixing what they were doing and telling them workouts that they should try. If this was a problem my sister-in-law and I would have been kicked out of our gym forever ago. It looks like it to me that LA fitness is just looking for some attention....
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    or the mom is looking for attention, like the "what's your excuse?" mom
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    At my location, I see people training other people all the time. If you listen to some of their conversations, it sounds like they don't know each other very well, so it might be a training situation. That said, the trainers always seem busy, so management probably doesn't come down as hard on people at my location.

This situation seems stupid though.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The only thing I took from this article is that women are getting hotter as time marches forward. There were ZERO moms that looked that good when I was 13.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    LA Fitness is a scam. Their main objective is to lock you into a Direct Deposit payment plan that is incredibly difficult to stop.

Once you are locked in, their next objective is to get you lined up with a personal trainer, in order to squeeze more revenue from you.

Their business practices are questionable. Borderline scam. F 'em.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The only thing I took from this article is that women are getting hotter as time marches forward. There were ZERO moms that looked that good when I was 13.

^^^truth
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    its idiotic. its not like she brought in a paid client. its her freakin son.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    from what I gather it looks like LA fitness is just trying to get some free publicity, "any publicity is good publicity" and seeing all the attention planet fitness got for their ridiculousness probably fueled these actions.

that actually makes a lot of sense
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in on this as a trainer who has a wife and daughter who go to my gym.

IF as a trainer you're WORKING OUT together, it won't be questioned. IF I was WATCHING someone workout, it would be viewed as training.

It's a pretty fine line because if her son had gotten hurt, LEGALLY he could pursue the gym even if it was his mother giving pointers.
    I've seen several times where people had to cease and desist instruction training in the gyms I've taught at because they weren't employed trainers there even if they were certified as a trainer somewhere else.
    So I don't see this as a "crazy" incident, but I do believe that it's over the top especially when it comes to one's family.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    At my location, I see people training other people all the time. If you listen to some of their conversations, it sounds like they don't know each other very well, so it might be a training situation. That said, the trainers always seem busy, so management probably doesn't come down as hard on people at my location.

This situation seems stupid though.
    If management actually heard what you heard, I'm betting they tell the people to cease and desist.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Actually I have never thought fitness gyms were for people who want to get fit. I have been in a few. And it seems like a meat market for singles and married alike. People ogling or laughing at others. I left HS years ago. Being in a adult world means just that. In fact this site has so many threads about dating, pick ups, commenting about others photos, dumping people. It's insane. How is that a topic of health, exercise, and diet? So my life impression of most people who say they want to get fit is, they need to put others down to make themselves feel better.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Actually I have never thought fitness gyms were for people who want to get fit. I have been in a few. And it seems like a meat market for singles and married alike. People ogling or laughing at others. I left HS years ago. Being in a adult world means just that. In fact this site has so many threads about dating, pick ups, commenting about others photos, dumping people. It's insane. How is that a topic of health, exercise, and diet? So my life impression of most people who say they want to get fit is, they need to put others down to make themselves feel better.
    So what's your opinion on the actual topic?

IDEA Fitness member
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous IMO.

I understand not allowing external (paid) trainers and clients as they're a business at the end of the day, but working out as a family or friends and taking advice or helping each other with form, I don't see how that's an issue.

So if people train together, how does the gym distinguish between behaviour that people training together like friends or family might show such as "Hey, can you watch my form?" or "Your arms look great, which exercises would you recommend?" and a professional trainer/client relationship where the client will pay for information that you trust is going to be safe, and is going to help them reach their goals.

What about taking advice from external areas (people at work, school, the internet) and applying that advice at the gym? Or following a specific program / training guide while at the gym? Where is the line?

Any information from external, unqualified sources could technically be unsafe and cause you to injure yourself at the gym. I thought most commercial gyms had contracts anyway that basically specify that if you follow advice from anyone but the trainers available there, and subsequently injure yourself, you are liable and not the gym (assuming equipment wasn't faulty)