My menu for the week

Options
I always see people asking on here about food choices! Well, I decided this year to blog what I cook daily. This is just copy/pasted from my blog I just posted:

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to cook a larger variety of foods. So, each week, I'm going to plan out my menu and each day I will post my dinner, recipe and nutrition info. So, for this week starting with today my menu is as follows:

Sunday - Buffalo Chicken with spicy creamed corn and cheddar bacon loaf

Monday - Spicy Sausage Shepherd's Pie

Tuesday - Pepperjack Chicken with Bacon Brussel Sprouts

Wednesday - Burrito Casserole

Thursday - Loaded Bratwurst Stew - Slow cooker meal!

Friday - Beef Stew Calzones

Saturday - Chicken Sausages with marinara sauce over spaghetti

I generally do not make desserts however I might make some from time to time, when I do I will post those recipes as well.
I will post today's recipes with nutrition info a little later, off to the grocery store!

Replies

• gmaanneliese
    gmaanneliese Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    wow, that is quite a menu. you must be an awesome cook.
  • o2bfit3
    o2bfit3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You reminded me that this is one of the ways to keep from straying away from what is planned: to plan it in advance! Thanks so much and I look forward to seeing your recipes; they look scrumptious!
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    nice!!! that's awesome!!! Thanks for posting! :bigsmile:
  • cacti86
    cacti86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    awesome! what is your blog link? i have been blogging my menus (and a few recipes) for the last year and plan to continue this year as well. stop by and follow me and we can inspire each other. :)

http://www.everythingisbetterwithcheese.blogspot.com
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    awesome! what is your blog link? i have been blogging my menus (and a few recipes) for the last year and plan to continue this year as well. stop by and follow me and we can inspire each other. :)

http://www.everythingisbetterwithcheese.blogspot.com

I will be making a blog (probably tonight) on a different site b/c this one keeps messing up my posts with the recipes! Will fix it later but here is tonight's menu :) It is only 356 calories for one serving of every item (4 oz chicken, 2/3 cup corn, 1 slice bread)

Tonight's dinner! Hickory BBQ Buffalo Chicken "Wings", Spicy Creamed Corn, and Cheddar & Bacon Loaf

I am a busy mom and wife. I have two wonderful children and a great, supportive husband. However, when it comes to meals they give me such a hard time about trying to eat healthy! So, while my meals are not strict about certain things (such as no white bread as you will see in tonight's dinner) they are still as healthy as I can make them. I love taking recipes I find in cookbooks or online and altering them to be healthier without sacrificing tastes. I do try and eliminate as much "white" as possible, but I'm sure as many others can attest, it is not easy to please a family. Also, just b/c I make a side of something like the white breads, doesn't mean I have to eat it (although if my calories allow it, I will!).

So, back to dinner. Tonight we are having bbq buffalo chicken made from a McCormick seasoning meant for chicken wings (I am using boneless, skinless, chicken breast tenders, spicy creamed corn (Rachael Ray recipe) and a cheddar bacon loaf (Better Homes and Garden)

So, that one is pretty simple. One packet of Hickory BBQ Buffalo Wings and 2.5 lbs of chicken tenders. This makes 5, 4oz servings for 140 calories each.

Mccormick - Hickory Bbq Buffalo Wings Seasoning Mix, 1 container
    Tyson - Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Tenders, 20 oz

Preheat oven to 400.
    Place chicken in a ziploc bag, sprinkle seasoning on top. Close bag and shake to coat.
    Place on foil lined baking sheet and bake 20-25 min or until cooked through.

Spicy Creamed Corn. I took this from a Rachel Ray Cookbook and will post the original ingredients after I post how I made it. This makes approximately 10, 2/3 c servings at 100 calories each

Bertoli - Extra Virgin Olive Oil , 1 TBSP
    Smart Balance - Olive Oil Light Butter Spread, 2 TBSP
    Onions - Raw, 1 large
    Jalepeno Pepper - Jalepeno Pepper, 2 pepper
    Produce - Bell Pepper - Red, 1 medium
    Generic - Garlic Raw Clove, 2 raw clove
    Birdseye Steamfresh - Super Sweet Corn, 2 container
    Pillsbury - All Purpose Flour, 1 Tbsp
    Progresso - 100% Natural Chicken Broth- Reduced Sodium, 1.5 cup
    Parsley - Raw, 0.25 cup
    Fresh - Cilantro, 1/8 cup
    Meijer - Skim Milk, 0.5 cup

Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp EVOO and the butter. Add the onions, jalapenos, bell peppers, garlic, corn, salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the onions are tender. Sprinkle with flour, and continue to cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken stock and milk. Bring the corn up to a simmer and then lower the heat to medium-low and cook until thick and creamy, about 5 minutes. Finish the corn with parsley and cilantro.

Original Ingredients are as follows:

2 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    2 Tbsp. unsalted Butter
    1 Large Yellow Onion
    2 Jalapeno Peppers
    1 Small Red Bell Pepper
    2 10 ounce boxes frozen corn kernels
    1 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
    1/2 c Heavy Cream
    1/4 c Fresh Parsley, chopped
    2 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro, chopped

Now for the Cheddar & Bacon Loaf. I got this from a Better Homes and Gardens magazine. Again, ingredients are altered, will post original after :) This makes 16 servings at 116 calories each.

Meijer - French Bread - All Natural (From Label), 1 container (16 oz ea.)
    Kraft Natural Shredded Cheese - Sharp Cheddar 2% Milk Reduced Fat, 1 cup
    Smart Balance - Olive Oil Light Butter Spread, 8 TBSP
    Generic - Plumrose Bacon - 2 Strips
    Green Onion - Raw, 0.25 cup

Preheat oven to 350.
    Slice bread into 16 even slices to bottom crust, but not through the crust.
    Mix the rest of the ingredients together and spread in between slices.
    Wrap bread in foil and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.

Original ingredients are:

1 16 oz baguette style loaf
    1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1/3 cup cooked bacon pieces
    2 med green onions, chopped
    2 tsp yellow mustard
    1 tsp lemon juice.

Enjoy!! And again, will be creating a blog later and will link it here :)
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    Wanted to add in quickly, I added about 1/2 tbsp corn starch to the corn bc I used milk and not cream, so it needed to thicken a bit more.
  • sdsmart
    sdsmart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are so well organised!!! Good for you! I am interested in your burrito casserole!! Are you posting recipes on your blog too?
  • Bubbas12
    Bubbas12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Your menu sounds delicious! Looking forward to following your blog.
  • jkc2222
    jkc2222 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the recipes and calorie count! I can't wait to follow your blog!!
  • Hardemanwifey
    Hardemanwifey Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Didn't get a chance to create my blog tonight..hoping for some tomorrow! Depends on if I get time in the morning before chores and have to go get my books for school!
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    Created my blog..still editing and making posts but everything will be updated here!

http://cookinglightwithcourtney.blogspot.com/
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    Updating with my menu for this week! 01-09-11 through 01-15-11

Sunday - Sirloin Kebabs with Spanakopita Orzo

Monday - Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Meatloaf with Garlicky Creamed Corn & Spinach

Tuesday - Lemon Risotto with Orange Balsamic Glazed Chicken

Wednesday - Hungarian Style Chili with Polenta

Thursday - Corn Fettucini

Fri - Beef & Potato Nacho Casserole

Saturday - General Tso Style Spicy Garlic Chicken

Will update my blog with recipes daily as well as post them on MFP! :)
  • 60HzShuffle
    Options
    I always see people asking on here about food choices! Well, I decided this year to blog what I cook daily. This is just copy/pasted from my blog I just posted:

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to cook a larger variety of foods. So, each week, I'm going to plan out my menu and each day I will post my dinner, recipe and nutrition info. So, for this week starting with today my menu is as follows:

I generally do not make desserts however I might make some from time to time, when I do I will post those recipes as well.
    I will post today's recipes with nutrition info a little later, off to the grocery store!

I'm inviting myself to dinner at your house!
  • Healthyby30
    Options

I'm inviting myself to dinner at your house!

Np! We always have lots of left overs! lol
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    01/17/11 - 01/22/11

Breakfasts:

Ham Frittata Cups
    Peach Stuffed French Toast
    Sunrise Slushies

Dinners:

Monday - Italian Cabbage Casserole
    Tuesday - Jamaican Style Beef Stew
    Wednesday - Seared Scallops with Soy-Ginger Sauce and Maple Glazed Carrots
    Thursday - Buffalo Turkey Burgers with Sweet Potato Fries
    Friday - Skillet Lasagna
    Saturday - Smothered Chicken Italiano

Desserts

Mini Apple Strudels
    Easy Lemon Pie

Not sure on days I'll be making breakfasts and desserts..whenever I have extra time!