Ftighue after AM exercise

Options
Hi ,
I used to workout in the evening. I recently switched it to the morning. I drink a yogurt- fruit based smoothie. before working out. oatmeal, soy-milk, cereal as breakfast after the workout.
I feel great after the workout. I start to fatigue after an hour of work out. I cannot concentrate at work. I feel exhausted through out the day.

Do any of you face this? why is this happening? Do you know how to avoid it?

Replies

• amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It may just be your body adjusting to the change in schedule. Give it a couple of weeks and see if it improves.

I sometimes have a black coffee when I get to work after my AM workout. That helps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I find mornings in general to be exhausting....I stick to my evening workouts when I know I can crush it and then go home and go to bed.
  • ellojenn
    ellojenn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just adjusted recently and I too am exhausted!!! :) I'm just assuming it's because my body is getting use to waking up an hour earlier than I normally would to go hard core within 10 minutes!
  • stephcalcott
    stephcalcott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What is your workout? If you're lifting, you need to add some protein to that breakfast. You may also just be going too low on calories for breakfast if you're working out hard.

I find that if I'm lifting and don't get enough protein/calories afterwards, I have a slump an hour or two later. The strange thing is, at that point, I can eat and eat and I never actually catch up and feel better. However, if I eat enough right after my workout then I feel great the rest of the day.
  • cczolek
    cczolek Posts: 6
    Options
    What is your workout? If you're lifting, you need to add some protein to that breakfast. You may also just be going too low on calories for breakfast if you're working out hard.

I find that if I'm lifting and don't get enough protein/calories afterwards, I have a slump an hour or two later. The strange thing is, at that point, I can eat and eat and I never actually catch up and feel better. However, if I eat enough right after my workout then I feel great the rest of the day.

I agree about the big breakfast and fueling up after the workout so you recover better. You need some protein (10-25 grams) and definitely carbohydrates (that's your energy there). Make sure you sleep enough, and you may have to cut back your workout intensity until your body adapts. You won't lose any strength if you still lift similar weights, but cut down the number of sets.
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last two posters. I've always done a workout in the morning and it quite often shatters me for the rest of the day. But a high protein nourishing meal afterwards and ensuring I'm well hydrated before, during and after the workout definitely help.
  • 4Pick
    4Pick Posts: 25
    Options
    gummy bears after lifting. I don't know the science, but they do the trick.
  • radiyanoor112
    radiyanoor112 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying.
    I usually do cross -fit or go for a run in the morning.
    I will try some protein shake and gummys after my workout next time. Do you have any brand recommendation?
    To me protein shakes usually tests chalky and makes me blotted.
  • radiyanoor112
    radiyanoor112 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks stephcalcott.
    I usually go for run or do cross--fit work out of the day. My crossfit workout usually consist strength or endurance for 45 minutes.
  • 4Pick
    4Pick Posts: 25
    Options
    a nice blended protein keeps life simple...I am a fan of Progen. Many people like optimum nutrition gold, but then you'd need two tubs the whey and the caisen
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a sugar/carb crash? It looks like what you are eating first thing is almost all carbs with just a little protein and almost no fat. Maybe try switching up what you eat to have more protein/fat and less carbs first thing? Other than that, it's probably also just an adjustment getting used to the change in sleep habits.