success stories of people in their 50's that toned up?

Options
bm1409
bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
I have seen awesome before and after pictures of younger people. I am 54, and need to lose about 15 pounds. It doesn't sound like that much, but being 54 and not being very active my skin is saggy. I am exercising (walking & elliptical) and I know I need to do some strength training. I was just wondering if there was anyone around my age that lost weight and toned up?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 as well.
    Lost my excess weight and I'm now fitter and stronger than I've been for ages. It doesn't get easier but it certainly does get better!
  • DSFfit
    DSFfit Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and I am working on it.
    I started seriously working out for the first time in years in mid February.
    So far, I am losing and toning and my strength and endurance have increased. I have about 10 to 15 lbs to go.
  • lonnieh2
    lonnieh2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well I'm almost 50..1.5 years to go and I have been working out since January and I've lost 60 pounds. I gained 80pounds due to injuries and needed to get it off. I doubt my experience would have changed if I had waited another 2 years from now. The only difference to being older is possibly the fact that I was dealing with injuries going into my weight loss program... BUT since exercising...my back and knee pain have gone away and I feel better than ever. I have concluded that my pain and soreness was most likely due to lugging around excess weight and weak muscles. I now feel like have the energy I enjoyed in my 20's.

In fact, this Friday i'll probably hit ONEderland (I'm hovering at 200lbs) and with continued hard work...I just know I'll hit my goal in about a month.

No magic bullet...just eating within my calorie limit and making sure I exercise everyday. You can do it...I've learned that age isn't an excuse. Muscle and fat apparently respond to consistent effort at any age. The sooner the better. :)
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I find that Pilates is great for toning.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm 57. I'm losing my weight pretty slowly, about 5 pounds a month. I'm strength training and doing recumbent bike. I find that my skin is tightening up nicely and I'm getting more defined. I honestly thought I was too old, but I can see now that was not true. It is never too late to get more fit. You can only get better!
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ballito
    ballito Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 almost 57 and I made the decision in February after a bollocking from my doctor to lose weight and get in shape. I've lost 8 kgs since taking it slowly but exercise is the key and logging everything even if it's bad. I suppose I was lucky that while I was carrying excess weight it wasn't "saggy". I ride the bike which is on a wind trainer in the shed most days although this week due to pressure of work I've only managed a couple of days and I do a couple of classes at the gym during the weekends. Keep working on it you'll get there. If only we knew then what we know now. I have noticed that I don't get as many aches and niggles as I used to and I believe this is because I've lost weight and not lugging round any excess. Still am but not as much. :flowerforyou:
  • 2ndAct2014
    2ndAct2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm Susan and I turn 50 mid July. I have 7-year old triplets and have gained over 40 pounds these last few years because of the stress (I also work full time). Clearly not going to lose it all by my birthday, but I would like to put a dent in it. I hope I can join this board with you all!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I am 55, 5'10" and lost 38 pounds and absolutely toned up. A year after I hit my goal I've maintained that weight and lost 2" on my waist and another almost 3" on my hips. I continue to lose inches despite not working hard at it (I do sit on a Pilates ball all day and I do walk.)

No saggy skin and anythings that sagged a bit immediately after weight loss has perked up tremendously.

My only regret is not doing it earlier.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    When I was around age 53, I was at my heaviest. I used weight lifting with dumbbells to improve things. Waistline went down, body fat % went down. Size 12 down to size 8 in Canadian pant sizes. Profile has more information.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I just turned 47 in Feb and only just started getting in shape 2 years ago. It is def harder when you are older but not impossable. And its ALWAYS worth it. I plan to be in the best shape of my life by the time i am 50. I still have some saggy areas i am working on and some that may never go away but i am ok with that.

Def get some strength training in there to firm up....it makes a huge difference.
  • ccam99
    ccam99 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I started working out at a gym at 49-1/2. I lost 14 lbs in 3 months working with weights 3 days a week at my gym. I stopped working out after a year and went back to some old eating habits gaining back some of the weight. Not a good move on my part considering how hard I worked for a full year. I went back after a 3 month break but really didn't get back into it full time until I hit 51 this January. It's not easy to lose as quickly at this age and definitely takes more work than the younger generation but it is definitely doable. My body "remembered" what it had done and I quickly lost 9 lbs in a short time. The big key for our age is our diet. That makes all the difference. We can't eat like we used to (hence the weight re-gain last year). Weight training is also key but diet is the major factor in keeping the weight off. I still have some jiggly in the mid-section and my trainer said that diet is the main factor in reducing that area. I agree with others, that you will only feel better. I am much fitter than in my forties and like others only wish I had started a few years earlier but sometimes life just get's in the way.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!