Whhyyyyy????

Options
Can someone please explain to me how I have been eating 1200 to 1400 cals a day and walked about 10 miles this week (Plus additional strength training and cardio), yet I still managed to gain a pound. I know a pound is nothing to stress over, but I did so good this week especially not drinking on new years and going through the holidays without over indulging. I guess I was just expecting more of myself. I have only lost about 5lbs, mind you I weigh 255 and I am at the start of my journey. I just don't understand.

Replies

• watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    JMHO---but I don't think you are eating enough. I know when I first started, I was taking in at least 1800 per day, if not more.

What does MFP say you should be eating each day>
  • katiemce
    Options
    I wouldn't stress to hard over it. I keep track of my weight loss on my wii and I always, always, always, gain one pound before I have a big drop. I'm not sure why. Maybe my body is doing everything it can not to let the weight go, but that's my pattern. You will probably have a big loss next week...just keep up what ur doing and it will melt off!!

125690.png
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Could be a pound of water weight, which happens to the best of us. Don't freak out over it. I imagine it'll be gone by tomorrow.

Also, make sure you're eating enough. Cutting too many calories can be dangerous. If you feel hungry all the time, weak, and light-headed, you need to add more calories, but healthy calories, like whole grains, fruits, and the good kinds of fats. You want to avoid sending your body into starvation mode, which means the body will hold onto all the fat it possibly can.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'd bump up your calories like an earlier poster said. Counterintuitive, I know, but when I go too low, I gain.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your sodium? Sometimes sodium can cause a weight gain because it makes you bloated.

I also think that 1200 to 1400 calories sounds really low. I think probably you need to eat more than that.

Are you measuring? If not, you should. Sometimes you can get thinner without loosing weight.
  • Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    When I started exercising I gained almost 5 pounds in a week. It was because something to do with your muscles need to heal/recover so they retain water.
  • bsweettt
    Options
    It's either your sodium intake, or fat turning into muscle.. I know when I first started, I ended up 'gaining' about 7 pounds of muscle, but loosing several inches. The best thing is to track your measurements, not your actual weight.. I know, it's hard, believe me, but I promise you'll see the results in actuality!
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me how I have been eating 1200 to 1400 cals a day and walked about 10 miles this week (Plus additional strength training and cardio), yet I still managed to gain a pound. I know a pound is nothing to stress over, but I did so good this week especially not drinking on new years and going through the holidays without over indulging. I guess I was just expecting more of myself. I have only lost about 5lbs, mind you I weigh 255 and I am at the start of my journey. I just don't understand.

i'm having the same problem. i'm on day 5 of using our new treadmill and i've only gained since then. :( i hope we can start losing soon. congrats though on doing 10 miles this week.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    what is it showing for your NET calories when you click over onto the "MY HOME" tab? I am thinking that if you are at 1200-1400 range and are doing cardio work, you may be consistently under 1200 net calories. Like previous posters have said, it seems counterintuitive to eat more, but you need to be sure that NET number ends up at 1200 at least. Also, make sure you keep an eye on your sodium & water intake. Congratulations on your mileage... that too can put a bit of muscle weight on you, but its GOOD weight and will be increasing your metabolism, so keep up the good work and let us know about that NET number (if its been low)... thanks and good luck (feel free to add me as a MFP friend :)
  • megalicious24
    Options
    The net caloric intake will be between 1200 and 1400, with the workouts I usually earn about 500 or 600 calories and I am actually eating about 1700 or 1800 a day. The sodium stays under 2500 and all I drink now is water, no longer juice.
  • megalicious24
    Options
    Also, I forgot to say I eat a lot of protein and veggies, not to many starches any more... Just a piece of bread and usually a baked sweet potato throughout the day.