Bug slice of homemade pizza only 300 calories?

Options
So I made a homemade pizza and logged it in as a recipe. I measured out the cheese and vegetables, and the pizza kit as well as the sauce. I made to include everything the pizza has on it! For 1/6 th of the pizza, which is a slice that seems like it's 500 calories, the recipe maker said it's only 260 calories which I rounded to 300, cause it did not seem realistic. The pizza is thin crust, very light not filling and I did not put that much cheese, but still!! So little calories compared to other slices this size! Am I right or is the recipe maker right? Help!

Replies

• Letshopeforthebest
    Letshopeforthebest Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    And I meant big slice of pizza for the topic ***
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If you weighed, measured & correctly logged all the ingredients individually & set up the right number of servings then I would say the recipe calculator is accurate & you don't need to round it up as you have the right numbers. However, that is assuming you inputted everything into the database yourself from the packaging of each ingredient. if you logged the recipe using data inputted by others it might not be accurate if you didn't cross reference it with packaging to check the entries in the database are right.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right. Pizza isn't that awful when you don't eat a huge amount of it. Even a good slice of take out pizza is around 250-400 cals depending on toppings.
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would say it is probably right if you measured everything correctly. It actually doesn't that far off to me. Think about it....most people eat way more than one slice of pizza. If you ate three of those it would be close to 900 calories. That is what makes people get into trouble...not one slice usually. It is the same way with donuts...one Krispy Kreme original glazed donut is 200 calories. Not great but doable as a treat...unless you eat 3 of them.
  • Letshopeforthebest
    Letshopeforthebest Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, awesome!
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My home made pizza comes out at 292 calories for 1/8, so depending what you put on it, that does sound reasonable. Mine has pesto, spinach, ricotta and mozz, crust from scratch.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I make a 10" pizza that's 600 calories for the whole damn thing, I love it! Granted, I use a pita for the base, but otherwise it's choc full of delicious pizza topping goodness
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Pizza really isn't that bad for you! The problem is that /good/ pizza is greasy and cheesy.

At my school they make 10" personal pizzas, the regular "marguerite" one is 600 calories for the whole thing... totally doable. I can totally eat a whole pizza.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. As the others have pointed out, pizza isn't really that bad if you load it up with veggies, lean meat, a little cheese and eat in moderation. The issue probably is that a lot of people would load it up with fatty meats and loads of cheese and then eat the whole thing
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    It's about right, especially if you weighed and entered everything in properly.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I can eat half of a homemade pizza for about 600 calories (everything weighed). Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. The kind I make are pepperoni and pineapple for reference.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    That sounds right on target.

When I plan to eat pizza, I give myself right around 800 calorie allowance. Generally 3 slices will get me there. Unless I am having the really good NY style margherita pizza, and then I plan for 1200 and cardio.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. My homemade caprese pizza is about 250 calories per slice (1/8 of pizza).
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Being in Italy turned me around on pizza. What I found there (not in tourist traps) was not the cheesy, greasy thing that is common in the US. Now I normally make my own so I can go light on the cheese and only have a couple of toppings. My favorite is with marinara sauce, mozzarella, prosciutto and as it comes out of the oven I dump a big bunch of fresh chopped basil on it. Fairly low cal and tasty. I have pictures in my profile.
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Mine is the same way...I always make my own pizza. There is so much extra oil (soybean...not a great oil to use, anyway!) in chain crusts, plus way more "stuff" than you really need.