Perpetual Soreness??

ilbcnuz
ilbcnuz Posts: 48 Member
I'm easily bored and constantly changing things up. I strength train 2-3 times a week regularly, but on the other days, you never know what I'm gonna do. Walking outside. Treadmill. 30 DS. Swimming. Spin Class. Zumba. Jogging. Jumping rope. Hula hooping. T25. Etc. Etc. Etc. I always stretch for about 15-20 minutes after completing anything I do.

Am I doomed to having a life of perpetual soreness due to constantly changing things up? I've been sore for about 3 months now. Is there an end in sight? Or should I learn to live with it?

I'm bad about logging in my diary, but I generally exercise 5-6 days a week.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    depends on your goals.

are you just trying to get a work out in?

because if so sure- go ahead- do what you are doing.

If you are trying to get somewhere and have tangible fitness goals- then get on a program and do the program- then you will not be perpetually sore from changing things around all the time.

That being said- most people change because they are "bored" which means what they are doing isnt' challenging enough- or that they believe they must be sore all the time- which is also false.

so it really depends on your goals.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Am I doomed to having a life of perpetual soreness due to constantly changing things up?

If more than 4-5 days go by where you don't do an activity (or something similar to it) then yes, you can expect soreness.

You get sore from hula hooping??
  • ilbcnuz
    ilbcnuz Posts: 48 Member
    oh yeah. kills my abs. I have a 5 lb. weighted hula hoop and I use it in 30 minute increments : )
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    It's really not good to be sore all the time. You're sore because your muscles haven't recovered yet. If you continuously use your muscles without allowing them to recover you won't really get anywhere. You don't build strength when you use your muscles, you build strength when your muscles adapt to something new. You aren't allowing your muscles time to adapt. You are also on a fast track to injury.

My advice would be to incorporate some rest days.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    It's really not good to be sore all the time. You're sore because your muscles haven't recovered yet. If you continuously use your muscles without allowing them to recover you won't really get anywhere. You don't build strength when you use your muscles, you build strength when your muscles adapt to something new. You aren't allowing your muscles time to adapt. You are also on a fast track to injury.

My advice would be to incorporate some rest days.

I agree and this is what I've always heard. Also heard drinking a lot of water and gentle stretching after using your muscles can help. Not that I'm expert but it's been helping me.

From : http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-does-lactic-acid-buil/

.... the production of lactate and other metabolites during extreme exertion results in the burning sensation often felt in active muscles, though which exact metabolites are involved remains unclear. This often painful sensation also gets us to stop overworking the body, thus forcing a recovery period in which the body clears the lactate and other metabolites.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    OP, I think your "workout ADD" may be contributing to your constant soreness... I've found that I get sore after new activities, but not so much after an activity my body is used to. So, for instance, if I haven't lifted in a week or more, I'll get very sore from lifting... but I won't get that sore from the exact same lifting workout if I'm doing it regularly every few days (unless I raise the intensity significantly) ... but running or crewing might wreck me for days given how infrequently I do it.

Consequently, while I do like to mix things up for the fun of it, I keep a core of regular activities in the 2-3 areas I want to progress in (mainly the compound lifts and Krav Maga). A little soreness or stiffness is normal and tells me I'm still pushing myself, but extreme long-lasting soreness is a pretty rare occurrence. This approach might help in your case. Eating and sleeping enough for recovery helps a lot too.

Aside, never hoop on top of hooping bruises. I imagine you know that already, but just in case. That's important, especially with a hoop that heavy.
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    If you don't change things up, then yeah, your workouts WILL get boring, which is not good for your motivation. The purpose is to challenge yourself, and to confuse and shock your muscles. If you're sore, good. That's called DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). The more you train, the less DOMS you experience. If you are experiencing soreness for more than a couple of days, that's not a good sign. You might want to let your body heal. Chances are you may have pulled something. Don't worry so much about soreness. Worry about how you are going to challenge yourself, and push yourself through a workout. Also, do it safely! Safety is important. Proper form is important. Do not do anything to risk injury. Reduce your chances by using proper form.

If you are doing everything I have just said, great. That's my advice.
  • holothuroidea
    From : http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-does-lactic-acid-buil/

.... the production of lactate and other metabolites during extreme exertion results in the burning sensation often felt in active muscles, though which exact metabolites are involved remains unclear. This often painful sensation also gets us to stop overworking the body, thus forcing a recovery period in which the body clears the lactate and other metabolites.

That has more to do with soreness during exercise but I think the OP was talking about DOMS, or the muscle soreness you experience after exercise, usually the next day. The most widely accepted theory for the occurrence of DOMS is that when you use your muscle tissue at or near max capacity you create microscopic tears in the muscle fiber. When your body repairs these tears they become stronger (like how a welded bond between two broken metal fragments is stronger than it was before they broke). As your body repairs the tissue you experience soreness due to inflammation from the recovery process.

Some things to consider about DOMS:

1. Light to moderate activity will be good for sore muscles. It brings fresh blood and fluids to the tissue which helps recovery. Good activities are walking and easier versions of workouts you usually do (an easy run if you're a runner, a light set of 5 if you're a lifter, etc.).

2. Activity that will create more muscle damage will slow your recovery, your body has limited resources (protein and fat to create new tissue, energy, anabolic hormones, etc) and if you stretch them too thin you won't recover efficiently. Do not try to work your muscles more than 30% of their max capacity, and avoid doing new movements your body isn't used to.

3. It's important to make sure your body has the resources and time it needs to build new muscle fibers. Protien, fat, water, energy (calories), and sleep are all very important. This is especially important to pay attention to when you're in a calorie deficit.

4. Sore muscles are damaged muscles and until they recover you are more likely to experience injuries.

Being sore is a good thing! It means you're pushing your body to where it needs to adapt, and this is what is going to make you stronger and improve your body composition. However, if you don't give your sore muscles a chance to recover you can't make any progress!

When you get to the point that an exercise no longer makes you sore, THEN it's time to move on to something new that will!

I hope this was helpful. :)
  • holothuroidea
    double post, sorry
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Bump