Charlie horses daily

Options
Ive been so achy throughout the day. My arms, thighs, just everything. At night I have charlie horses multiple times. During the day I am getting charlie horses in my feet/toes (THE WORST!)

Ive heard this is a potassium thing but are there any other reasons for it? I get plenty of potassium. Its not achy muscles from working out so i know thats not it.

Replies

• SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Potassium would be the first thing to watch/increase in your diet, but also magnesium is another one. Make sure you are eating enough foods rich in potassium, magnesium, calcium and Vitamin D. Also, if your exercise routine has been dramaticly increased in a very short time, this could be a muscle reaction to sudden increased demand. And make sure you are drinking plenty of water!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    When I had these in the past, what helped was staying very well hydrated, eating a banana before bed, and getting in some really good calf stretches before bed.
  • gert1985
    gert1985 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Have you had your potassium checked? I am on high blood pressure medicine and it depletes my potassium. I have to take 5 potassium pills/day. When I skip a day, my legs "crawl" at night. I can't keep them still (similar to restless leg syndrome).
    If you're deficient, it's nearly impossible to get enough potassium through diet alone (says my doctor)
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It's more than potassium, it could mean you're not getting enough of a certain mineral or your not absorbing a mineral properly.
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Gosh, hope it stops soon. Do you think it could be dehydration? Are you getting plenty of water? Do you stretch regularly? I have gone through phases in the past where I get them regularly and then they stop...and haven't really figured out exactly what causes it. If you are getting plenty of potassium (coconut water is supposed to be even better than bananas for this) then I would up the water for sure. And if you have been working out hard, maybe take a rest day or two? Hope it stops soon. And if not, maybe time to see the doc.
  • Owl_Green
    Owl_Green Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    What they said about the minerals, but you might also consider having your thyroid checked if that keeps happening. Foot and leg cramps were one of the symptoms of my hypothyroidism.
  • JoMoMOMx3
    JoMoMOMx3 Posts: 77
    Options
    i havent upped my activity level any. it was right around the time i upped my water and cut back on pop so i dont think its dehydration. i would feel like im more hydrated now than ever.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I get muscle spasms in my legs when I work out a lot, and recently had calf and foot cramps/spasms while swimming. Taking a cal-mag-zinc and D supplement seemed to help the leg spasms a bit, so I am hoping they will help with the calf and foot cramps while swimming. I tried eating a banana before activity, but that didn't help. You might try taking a cal-mag supplement and eating foods rich in potassium--bananas and coconut water are my favorites. Good luck.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    minerals....potassium etc.

btw bananas are okay for potassium but tomatoes and potatoes are better...just as a note.

Growing up when I had "growing pains" that would make me clear the bed and cry all night that's what I was fed the next day...and same with my son...works like a charm.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I get leg cramps if I don't stay well hydrated. Easy fix...if I drink enough, no middle of the night owees.
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Like many things, too much of something can be bad for you. Its probably best if you do these things with the advice of a doctor... my sil had high potassium levels and it was massively messing with her heart (potassium is involved in electrical output in your body) not something fun to have happen.

Personally I get charlie horses and some horrible ones at that. And the crawly leg thing. I take magnesium when the symptoms come up and stop after a month and start the cycle over again
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It also can be magnesium. Are you on any RX meds for heart burn?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    My mother had found tonic water beneficial for her daily hand cramps.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Definitely what everyone else is saying concerning minerals and water, but if you've only recently began exercising regularly perhaps a good stretching afterward for a cool down might help.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have this issue. It's gotten loads better since I started doing epsom soaks after workouts and foam rolling. Water helps some. My doc suggested calcium supplements but that didn't do much.

Now I only have them occasionally.
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Are you using a diuretic forBP ? If so it maybe too strong and dehydrating you even with lots of water. I had to take a half dose, because even the lowest dose ws too strong and dried me out to the point I got leg, hand and foot cramps that were unbearable
  • JoMoMOMx3
    JoMoMOMx3 Posts: 77
    Options
    nope.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Low Magnesium can also make Potassium levels lower than normal.
    Are you on a diuretic?
  • tracydr
    Options
    I have this issue. It's gotten loads better since I started doing epsom soaks after workouts and foam rolling. Water helps some. My doc suggested calcium supplements but that didn't do much.

Now I only have them occasionally.
    Might try magnesium supplement. It's also a great laxative if that's an issue. 400-1200 mg is usually good. If you take too much it will give you the runs.
    Magnesium is also a muscle relaxer, good for blood pressure and sometimes helps prevent migraines. Calcium, too.
  • tracydr
    Options
    Avocados, watermelon, potatoes are other good sources of potassium.
    Light salt is a mix of NaCl and KCl so can be used as a supplement.