How do you workout with a desk job?

Options
I have a Monday-Friday 8 to 5 desk job that pretty much prevents me from any exercise during the day. I also do school full time. I have zero time to do a full workout. What are small exercises I can do throughout the day to help me?

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I do the same, but workout in the morning.

But if you can't get up to get a workout in, I would say walking on your lunch break is your best bet. Don't worry about your workout too much- just staying within your cals is much more important.
  • LeslieRoyale
    LeslieRoyale Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Do you have stairs at your workplace? An excellent way to get a little mini-workout in. Good for the heart rate, and the legs & butt! Or try taking a walk around the building on a break, instead of sitting at your desk. Even 10 mins of low impact exercise makes a difference! Good luck!!
  • nroesler
    Options
    Walking stairs is good too.....and if you google desk exercises i'm sure you'll find a whole bunch of little things to do.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I also have a full-time desk job, working from 7 to 4 Mon-Fri. Approx 4 days a week I exercise before work; I'm up at 4 to be at the gym by just after 5, work out for approx an hour & 15 minutes, shower, hair & makeup & to the office by 7-ish. I usually get two longer workouts in on Saturday & Sunday mornings as well.

That's the only time that works for me - lunch time the gym is too busy, after work all I want to do is go home. I started this routine about 9 years ago and it's the only one I have stuck with for most of that time.

If you have kids or school at night it might not work for you. My husband works nights and I don't have kids, so I have the luxury of being able to go to bed early (8 pm in the winter, usually around 9 pm in summer) as I need all the sleep I can get!

Good luck on your journey!
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I work 7:30-4 and have a very active 8 year old so mornings work best for me :smile: I try to get up at 5:30 the latest to get at least 25 minutes in before work, but if I don't get up I walk on my lunch or I use my break to get a quick walk in. If it's raining or snowing out...I do the stairs. I hate the stairs. lol.
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=633

Its a 15 minute desk workout. All you need is your body weight, chair with no wheels and a wall.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way last month and was amazed to find out that many of my co-workers felt the same way. We picked a half-marathon in late March and now 20 of us are training for it together. Some are running before work, some at luncjh, and some after.

Get creative and commit to something on a scedule. You can make it work.

--Carter
  • molina76853
    Options
    I used to have the same thought until I figured out that I can walk during my lunch time. I get a 30 minute lunch, so I usually walk about 15 minutes then eat. I got a pedometer so every time I do walk, I walk in a fast pace and walk a few extra around my office. I got a 3 lb dumbbell that I keep under my desk and every chance I get I use it to do arm toning exercises. I keep a pair of tennis shoes under my desk too that I change into for my walking. I also walk around the building or parking lot a couple of times before I get into my car to drive off. I keep telling myself that I am going to start to get up earlier to workout but I haven't gotten there yet. LOL
  • rafos228
    Options
    Try parking as far away from the door as possible. I do this even at parking lots for the stores I am running errands at. You'll get lots of extra steps in, and your car will get far fewers dings to boot!
  • BleacherAddict
    Options
    I leave for work at 7am and get home from work at 7pm. I come in, grab a bite to eat, head out for the gym by 730/745. I get home around 900/915 and do my schoolwork then. I've tried getting up early in the morning and it just didn't work for me. My school is online though, so I'm sure it'll be different for you if you have classtime. Maybe you can hit up the gym on your way home and do homework on the weekends and on your lunch break??
  • sdsmart
    sdsmart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's so hard sometimes to fit it all in! I get up and exercise before work, it takes awhile to get used to waking up early but you feel pumped for the rest of the day.

A quick and effective exercise program is a 20min circuit workout at home- easily done in your living room or bedroom either morning or evening.
    Try this sample program:
    4 min warm-up walking on the spot or dancing to your favourite tune
    12 mins composed of two rounds of the following circuit :
    1 min squats
    30 seconds walking/jogging on the spot
    1 min push ups
    1 min crunches
    1 min lunges
    4min cool-down including walking on the spot and stretches

If you want to make the program harder, change the 30 seconds to either jumping jacks or jump rope that will get your heart rate up quickly!
  • txmomma0889
    txmomma0889 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    maybe switch out your desk chair for a balance ball. if your employer allows it.. here a link to some reasons people do this.. it helps a lot with the abs since you trying to balance

http://www.gearfire.net/10-reasons-to-use-an-exercise-ball-as-your-chair/
  • bionicdiver
    bionicdiver Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, too. I get up at 4:30 am and workout for an hour before I go to work. Feels good to get it done first thing in the morning. The rest of the day is downhill from there.