Re-adjusting Goals because I'm hungry!

Options
Since Oct I have lost 30 pounds, using a pound a week weight loss as a goal. This gave me 1270 calories a day, and with exercise, I was usually able to have up to 1400 or 1500. Usually I didn't eat my earned calories, at least not all of them. In the last few weeks though I have been fighting hunger all day.

I tried eating an apple as a snack. That does help. But I still find I'm often really hungry.

So, I readjusted my goals to .5 a pound of weight loss a week, figuring I can exercise more, and just roll with the half-pound of weight loss. This give me an allowed 1400 calories a day. Does that seem like a good idea?

The first couple of months was easier. I often wasn't even hungry enought to each the exercise calories I earned. Now though I find I'm thinking about and wanting food more.

I'm down to my last 10 pounds and they aren't coming off easily. Lately I lose a pound in 3 weeks instead of 1, so I'm concerned about bumping up my calorie intake. My foot is healed so I can go back to getting more exercise in. It seemed like with less exercise I was hungrier. I'm hoping with increased exercise and slightly higher calories I won't be so hungy.

Replies

• HaraldurB
    HaraldurB Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it's recommended to change to .5 pounds a week when you're about 10lbs from your goal. And that the last 10lbs take the longest to lose. So you should be ok in making those changes. And great job on losing those 30lbs already :smile:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask if you've rerun your numbers since losing the 30lbs? Your body has changed, likely your calorie needs have as well. Also keep in mind that as you get closer to goal weight and have less to lose, the losses will slow quite a bit.

Sounds like you definitely need more food if you're genuinely hungry all the time. Give the higher goal a shot, and stick with it for at least 4 weeks or so before making other changes. You might see a slight gain on the scale at first due to the higher intake, but give it time - the body will adjust. Start taking measurements as well if you're not already.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    sometimes it's what you are eating.

Protien helps keep you feeling fuller longer.

with 10lbs to go 1/2lb a week is a good loss rate.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I agree with making sure you are eating a filling snack. Protein and fats will help keep you full longer than carbs. I can eat an apple and be starving again in 30 min. If I eat some tuna and crackers, I'm satisfied for a few hours. I make sure I have protein at every meal/snack and I don't shy away from the fats. I still get hungry (and I'm eating closer to 1800-2000 cals), but I can help it with the right snacks.
  • dnourie
    dnourie Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragment. It's awesome that everyone has noticed I've lost weight. This last 10 pounds is stubborn! I'm a vegetarian, so protein comes in the form of seeds and nuts. I love both and have to be careful not to eat too much as both have high calorie content.
  • nofoodforthemood
    Options
    Nuts stall my weight loss. Can you cut down for a couple of days and see if that helps? Congrats on the weight loss :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yup, sounds like a very good idea. As mentioned, with 10lbs left, it should be .5 lbs a week goal.

As for the apple - I find they don't fill me. But some cheese (if you do dairy) or nut butter help make it a more filling snack for me.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Excellent Progress! Almost there....

Agree with other regarding Protein. When I get to the point where I absolutely know I"m going to snack, I reach for nuts (unsalted) or beef jerky or a boiled egg.

My mind is thinking cookies, ice cream or choc...so it still isn't happy with me, but the next morning when I jump on the scale, I'm not as mad at myself.

Keep up the great work!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Great progress! I agree with your new regime of more calories!
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can try a snack with more fiber vs. protein like Skinny Pop or just air popped popcorn if you can't buy it in bulk like at Costco (it's expensive at the regular store). Or if you still eat eggs, switch to egg whites which are less calories but still loaded with protein so you can eat more in volume but less in calories overall. If you're hungry you should eat. It's possible your body composition has changed requiring more calories. Also, try eating 5 small meals during specific windows of time so you don't end up hungry just because it's been too long since your last meal.

I'm in my last FOUR pounds and my weight has been steady for probably a month now with no loss but I just had two weeks off from the gym because of a surgery so I'm hoping that going back to the gym after a lull will kickstart further loss.

Hang in there - getting started and then getting to the very end are the two hardest parts!
  • horrorfan
    horrorfan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good for you for listening to your body! A lot of people are so set on losing that they forget the best measurement of success in health/fitness is listening to YOUR body. I wish you luck with the last 10 lbs. I had to do the same thing. I upped from 1400-1700, I wasn't eating nearly enough!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Go to the scooby workshop and figure your calories there.. most limey you can eat a lot more and still lose. just google scooby workshop.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Cut the carbs. You don't necessarily have to replace it with fats. 12 ounces of steamed broccoli even with a whole tablespoon of butter will only cost you 200'calories (about as much as your apple) and keep you full for hours. There are lots of different veggies you could rotate so you don't get bored eating the same thing.