Hi. I'm new here and I really need support.

Options
13»

Replies

• karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I wish these forums had a like button! Add me I will try to help I'm here everyday no matter what. MFP has been the best thing that has happened to me in a long time. My husband is hard to deal with too. Just do it for your self. I will send you a friend request. Chin up!
  • BARBnKS
    BARBnKS Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi! I restarted on MFP at the end of Feb., 2014 at 297 lbs. and now am 280. I am trying to lose mostly by tracking my food & reducing portions. Now that I have lost 17 lbs. I am gradually adding in some walking. We can do this without exercise but it is slow going but the more weight we lose more likely we will be able to exercise. I have not changed much about what I eat except try to limit bread, pastas, cookies & cake , I just reduce portions of what I usually eat.. Please add me if you like for support & to motivate each other.
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Blatantly quoting another wise member on here, but you will find this some very helpful advice:
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.
  • MissBryonyF
    MissBryonyF Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy,

I think one of the best forms of exercise when you are obese, is swimming! It relieves a lot of pressure on your joints and lessens the risk of injury. I am over 100kgs, I can relate to all the strains and pains! I mainly do walking. Also I can definitely relate to having a partner not liking my weight. He is history and I found someone way better. You are not alone!

Good luck, feel free to contact me/add me:smile:
  • mihonie
    mihonie Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello Amy,

I'll second the suggestion of swimming. It's the preferred exercise of one of my friends who is larger and has joint problems. Walks, at whatever speed you feel comfortable at, can also be gentle on joints and relaxing. If you like cooking and/or trying new foods, try checking out local library and seeing what cookbooks and diet/nutrition books they have available. I was flipping through one and found a recipe for a beef stew that uses curry, sweet potatoes, chickpeas and broccoli, which has since become a favorite dinner in our family. Best of luck to you!
  • JDawg867
    JDawg867 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. In my experience and opinion, losing weight is 50% eating healthy and 50% exercise. That's all there is to it. No secret diet plan, no pills/formulas and no easy way around it. If you do both, you will lose weight. You have to as your body will be forced to changed. It will be hard and you'll have to overcome many struggles but you will do it.
    I'm a firm believer in Christ and through him anything is possible. God will love you no matter what but if you want to get healthier and lose some weight then the only thing standing in your way is you. If you really want to change you will. You will have to have patience :) It's not an overnight process or even a weekly process. But 2 weeks down the road, 4 weeks you will begin to see some changes. Be encouraged and be realistic. You can do whatever you set your mind to do no matter who you are or what you think of yourself. Also, look into weight training. Start lifting small weights and increase as you become stronger. Lifting will ramp up your bodies metabolism and will start to tone and tighten up your muscles while burning fat.
    Don't be afraid to set goals but make them realistic. Don't set them too high and when you don't achieve them you get really disheartened. Little goals. Baby steps. You may fail here and there but 3 steps forward, 1 step back, 3 more steps forward. Always focus on the long road ahead and what you can achieve. We can all support you and say nice things but it's you who has to change and find the DRIVE to succeed and change. Once you find it, you'll never look back. Hope this helps in an uplifting way to motivate you and not get you discouraged. You can do it Amy. Everyday.
  • Ginaxx22
    Ginaxx22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, feel free to add me as a friend. I understand how difficult it must be for you to keep moving. Exercise is not easy for me either due to an injury but as long as you keep moving and don't sit down all day like I used to.

I've taken to walking the dogs and going to the gym 2 times a week. But as long as your dieting and using this site, I'm sure you can begin to loose weight to begin with without doing hours of exercise.

And then once it becomes easier for you take up some hobbies.
  • lynnpertle
    lynnpertle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks. How many calories do you eat? What time of day do you exercise? Morning or After work? I'm thinking I need to try to exercise in the morning because after work I am full of excuses.
  • Ginaxx22
    Ginaxx22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks. How many calories do you eat? What time of day do you exercise? Morning or After work? I'm thinking I need to try to exercise in the morning because after work I am full of excuses.

Was that a question for me as my post was above? Well I am sticking to 1200 depending on how much I exercise. I am using it as a rough guide. I can't always get it write and its hard to input some foods accurately. At least it makes me stick below a certain level of calories.

my problem is enough exercise and eating too much! So now i'm aware of whats happening.

I exercise after work because I do early mornings but sometimes feel to tired to exercise at all which is why I struggle to get my self to the gym but at least I walk the dog. I take pictures of my dogs on walks, which is my motivation!!
  • prismacolor74
    Options
    I have a general theory that men can FART off the calories. But enough about them. I have been on and off MFP since 2010. I now know that the calories allotted are the maximum for weight loss. I got the minimum from another website. I do have to say that the maximum is easier when you are at your heaviest, and a good start. LOSING IS never EASY. Especialy without the home support. My ex was HORRIBLE. My current husband has made this a breeze. You definately need to do it for yourself first and foremost. Rooting for ya girlfriend! Lisa
  • Gonenova
    Gonenova Posts: 5
    Options
    Amy,

It sounds tough but you can do it, 2000 calories is tough if you have never controlled your eating before. I didn't either, but my metabolism is good and I run frequently, but I was really surprised to find I was like 30lbs overweight. I started doing 2050 cals a day and I've lost the 30# and I've been working hard to lose another 20lbs. I don't have a scale either, but it's important to get one I think even if it's something cheap from Walmart, it always helps to have the baseline. It also helps to only check weekly, in my opinion. Stay strong, hang in there and stick to your calorie goals and I wish you all the best.