FOR THOSE OF YOU DOING P90X

Reesy
Reesy Posts: 132 Member
I am starting p90x when I complete ten minute trainer. I was wondering if you guys are following the calorie counts in the p90x book or on this website.

My calorie count for p90x is more than double my calorie count here, over 3,000. I am very aware that you have to eat more calories when you are working out and this will not be my first time doing the X.

I'm just curious with how you are working the calorie counts or if you are ignoring it all together.

Remember- I know my body will need more calories- I am only interested in how you are managing your numbers.

Thanks so much.

Replies

• Reesy
    I am starting p90x when I complete ten minute trainer. I was wondering if you guys are following the calorie counts in the p90x book or on this website.

My calorie count for p90x is more than double my calorie count here, over 3,000. I am very aware that you have to eat more calories when you are working out and this will not be my first time doing the X.

I'm just curious with how you are working the calorie counts or if you are ignoring it all together.

Remember- I know my body will need more calories- I am only interested in how you are managing your numbers.

Thanks so much.
  • p90x_Dude
    p90x_Dude Posts: 332
    I've become more aware of my calorie count since joining this site. I have to say I've been paying more attention to what is listed on this site because it's easier to keep a record of what I'm eating/drinking. I know the calorie range I need to be in so I'm reading the nutrition manual to make sure I'm not too far off on what I should be eating. Remember to pace yourself and you won't be doing as much as people on the video. Keep pushing playu and BRING IT!!! Keep us posted.
  • Reesy
    Do you log your exercise in as well? If so, what do you put it under. Right now, I'm using high impact aerobics to record ten minute trainer.

What you said makes lots of sense. I won't be doing what the people on the video are doing. It just freaked me out that the nutrition guide suggested over 3,000 calories. :noway:
  • p90x_Dude
    Do you log your exercise in as well? If so, what do you put it under. Right now, I'm using high impact aerobics to record ten minute trainer.

What you said makes lots of sense. I won't be doing what the people on the video are doing. It just freaked me out that the nutrition guide suggested over 3,000 calories. :noway:

Wow 3k that's what it suggested for me and usually women are somewhere around 700-1000 calories less than men. I'd speculate that a bit, as for exercises I've used kick boxing for kenpo and yoga is there. As for plyometrics high impact aerobics would do the trick. As for the resistance exercises I haven't figured that one out just yet :tongue:

When I do I'll let you know.
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Reesy: Wow,, that is a lot of calories. Puts you at level 3. Just redo the calculations to be sure. I am only at level 1 and sometimes find it hard to get it all in (1800). So for me, the amount I am supposed to eat is about right, base of 1200 + the 600 exercise cals equals my 1800.

They say that many of the workouts burn 600 calories easy. I know that some people wore their HRM even for yoga, and that is what they burned. The problem is that it is quite a demanding program, and if you're not fueling the burn, you'll crash (bonk) during the exercises. I would suggest that you try what MFP tell you to eat, and if you find you don't have enough energy for the workouts, up it by about 300 cals at a time until you can get through the workout. But maybe you can follow their protein/carb/fat ratio instead of what MFP sets you at. That is what I have done.

However, P90X is not designed for weight loss per se. You will certainly lose inches though while you are toning and firming those muscles.

I would be really interested to know how you fare. Please keep me posted.
  • Reesy
    Thanks Carvan. I thought that was a lot of calories too. I know I weight a lot but it's entirely possible I miscalculated.

I am planning on doing the lean program which says its designed for people who need to drop some weight while sacrificing strength gains. I'm good with no strength gains for now. :bigsmile:
  • carvan
    Thanks Carvan. I thought that was a lot of calories too. I know I weight a lot but it's entirely possible I miscalculated.

I am planning on doing the lean program which says its designed for people who need to drop some weight while sacrificing strength gains. I'm good with no strength gains for now. :bigsmile:

I am doing the lean program myself. I did the classice and an x/x+ hybrid, so this is my 3rd time around. Just did core syn this morning, and it kicked my butt, in a good way!
  • Reesy
    Have you had much success? I'm loving ten minute trainer right now but I have three weeks to finish the advanced rotation and I think I should go back and conquer the X, since I fell short last time.

I can say ten minute trainer is kicking my butt as well. :bigsmile:
  • carvan
    Well my first round of P90X, I lost only 4 lbs, but about 8 inches overall. I was fit to start with, but wanted to see my abs! They started to peek thru....anyhow, summer came and it all went....gone. But seriously, pushups were easy (ier), I still can't do an unassisted pullup, but I am stronger in that department as well. I did work out, but not with the same intensity. So now back into it, and must admit, I am not as intimidated as I was when I first started. Actually pumped out 20 staggered hands, stack feet pushups. woo hoo. Of course, some days are better than others, but like they say, do your best and forget the rest!!
  • p90x_Dude
    I have noticed a significant difference in strength, even last night was my first time hanging with some of those yoga moves. I completed all the downward dogs without any trembling or excessive grunting :laugh: I still can't do everything they do, but it will take some time. All the same I'm pretty pumped. I have core synergistics tonight!!!
  • carvan
    I have noticed a significant difference in strength, even last night was my first time hanging with some of those yoga moves. I completed all the downward dogs without any trembling or excessive grunting :laugh: I still can't do everything they do, but it will take some time. All the same I'm pretty pumped. I have core synergistics tonight!!!

I love the core workout. A good variety and no repeats! I just did cardio X and found it easy! A good mix of yoga, kenpo, plyo and core. Yoga is always tough. I often wonder if it is because it is so long. In all my time doing the x I had maybe 3 amazing yoga workouts, where I felt totally energized. Guess I got into the zone:smile:
  • p90x_Dude

I love the core workout. A good variety and no repeats! I just did cardio X and found it easy! A good mix of yoga, kenpo, plyo and core. Yoga is always tough. I often wonder if it is because it is so long. In all my time doing the x I had maybe 3 amazing yoga workouts, where I felt totally energized. Guess I got into the zone:smile:

I'm going to read up on core and make a workout log before the workout this time so I have some what of an idea of what to expect. You know my previous (2) yoga workouts were so frustrating to me I quit 60 or so minutes in. Well last night I realized the grunt of the toughest activity was guess what after about 60 minutes when they start the hold activities. Again I'm far from being Mr. Yoga, but not bad for a near 300 lb inflexible male :laugh:
  • jdtrainer
    jdtrainer Posts: 160
    Way to go with yoga P90X dude!!

I have my program set up where Sunday is my yoga day. Sundays are also my long run day. I go for a long run at sun up and do yoga later in the day. It always makes me feel so much better. I struggle with some of the moves, but I "do my best" and you know the rest of that quote.

Today was Kenpo karate and tomorrow is stretch.

Keep up the good work everyone!!

JD
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Where do you get this program?

-Adrienne:heart:
  • carvan

check on the internet under beachbody.com. There you will find a wide range of programs. Or just google P90X
  • p90x_Dude

check on the internet under beachbody.com. There you will find a wide range of programs. Or just google P90X

what she said, don't forget to try ebay or craigslist too
  • p90x_Dude

I have my program set up where Sunday is my yoga day. Sundays are also my long run day. I go for a long run at sun up and do yoga later in the day. It always makes me feel so much better. I struggle with some of the moves, but I "do my best" and you know the rest of that quote.

JD

....forget the rest. yep I'm also feeling like doing more than p90x. I think I'll complete this round and begin doing it in the morning and YMCA in the pm. Who knows I'll complete the classic series first.

Thanks bro
  • p90x_Dude

JD

....forget the rest. yep I'm also feeling like doing more than p90x. I think I'll complete this round and begin doing it in the morning and YMCA in the pm. Who knows I'll complete the classic series first.

Thanks bro