How to break my fasting method?

Options
Hello! =D
So like many others, I fell under the trend of fasting a certain amount of hours a day and then eating only within a certain time frame.

It has been working, though it's had its up and down's for example I haven't been able to go out to eat with my family on some occasions because it didn't fall within my eating time

Well I have been doing this since January 1st and since today is the last day of April I think I would like to stop it for the summer =)

The thing is I've gotten used to eating large amounts of foods at once instead of eating throughout the day.
Any recommendations on how I can break this habit?

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Spread your food out throughout the day
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Begin with having a small amount of food first thing in the morning. Evetually you'll find you're hungry faster from breaking the fast and will be able to spread the food over.

Or you can just split your "bigger meals" in 2. Eat when you're hungry. Stop when you're somewhat satisfied. Keep the rest for later.

Or just do whatever you're doing that works for you and make exceptions for the days where you wanna go out and eat with the friends and fam. You don't have to fully adhere to one or the other.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try creating meals the night before. Start packing them into containers and tell yourself that you'll eat one at a time throughout the day. I'm sure you'll feel hungry for a couple of days what with your habit being an over-eat at one meal and an under-eat for all the others, but that should level itself out quickly.

Really it's just starting a new habit for yourself, yea? Just like when you started the habit of eating one, large meal. It took your body a couple of days getting used to. You'll be fine.
  • saylor76
    saylor76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have found fasting works as well. I know you are asking how to stop but I was wondering if you could tell me how you do your fast?

When I break my routine I start with eating an egg in the morning. That seems to start my digestion going and I am hungry around noon time. I also increase drinking cold beverages rather than hot. During fasting, I always stick to drinking hot tea and room temp water. I try to keep my meals as lite as possible. Basic bunny eating like salad :)
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I still do intermittent fasting but I do know from experience that if you want to start eating throughout the day fruit and veggie- based meals are really good for helping you get full - you will be hungry more often but the thing is your stomach will be used to eating bigger amounts of food, so it's really important to fill up with water and fiber filled fruits and veggies such as smoothies, protein shakes with added fruits and chia seeds, veggie stir frys, zucchini pasta, veggies and hummus, etc (I'm giving vegan options because that's all I'm used to sorry xD)

If you ever feel bloated after a meal (it could happen since you are changing your eating pattern and working your stomach more), take probiotic enzymes, eat papaya and pineapple more often, have really hot mint, ginger, or cinnamon tea after a big meal, and do stretches and take slow paced 30 minute walks.

When you switch over, try just having two meals at first for the first week or until you feel completely used to eating another meal. Make sure you keep logging your meals to make sure your calories are spaced evenly throughout the day, though it's fine if you still feel like keeping supper the biggest meal of the day if that's your preference!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    this is why…many of us go slow ..so at the end --it makes sense. I have no idea what to tell you. You've been conditioned to pig out and that is hard to turn off.

i did something similar a few years ago..the opposite from you..but this method worked too I ate every two and a half hours. I lost weight so fast without exercise… and for years I was conditioned to feel hungry every two hours.. I still suffer from that ..but it is getting better.

I remember being at cocktail parties going to the restroom to stuff food from my purse into my mouth so I could eat on time.

that is no more a good way to live a normal life than to fast certain hours of the day.