Scale changing drastically through out the day

Options
When I weigh myself in the morning I'm 134 pounds, by mid day I'm 137 and by night Im 139! Ive been weighing myself every other day this week to see if the pattern continued, which it has. Is it normal for my weight to increase so drastically through out the day? And how am I supposed to know what I truly weigh if it changes so often?

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself at the same time every day
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Weigh yourself at the same time each day. Most people choose mornings so they don't have extra food and water weight etc factored in.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Of course it is, you're putting stuff in your body!

1 litre of water weighs 1 kg. The food you weigh out weighs the same when it's in your belly as it is when it's on the plate.

You way least in the morning because you have fasted and dehydrated somewhat as well as burned calories during rest and repair. As you rehydrate and fill yourself with food and liquid, it's going to reflect on the scale, but it isn't a true representation of your weight, it would be the same if you weighed with your keys in your pocket or your bag on your shoulder.

Pick a time to weigh, weigh once a day and don't drive yourself nuts hopping on and off. First thing is the morning is best.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Just weigh yourself same time everyday -usually morning after bathroom routine and before you eat or drink. Forget about weighing the rest of the day. Some people weigh once a week, same day, same time so you can really see the difference.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    This is completely commonplace. You eat and drink throughout the day, that's why it changes.

If you must weigh yourself often, do it once a day, in the morning after using the restroom. If you do it the same way every morning, you'll have a better idea of your weight. Be aware that the body will still have weight fluctuations for a wide variety of reasons. Tracking the general trend over time is the best way to determine a true pattern of weight loss.
  • Dalton1720
    Dalton1720 Posts: 104
    Options
    Thanks guys! I just wasn't sure if a 5 pounds increase was normal because it seems like a lot of weight to put on in just a day. I hear some people weigh themselves the night before and then the morning after, but I like the idea of just weighing myself when I wake up so I have a better perspective on how much I truly weigh and can track results better.
  • Xingy01
    Xingy01 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I just wasn't sure if a 5 pounds increase was normal because it seems like a lot of weight to put on in just a day. I hear some people weigh themselves the night before and then the morning after, but I like the idea of just weighing myself when I wake up so I have a better perspective on how much I truly weigh and can track results better.

Half a gallon of water is over 4 lbs. It's not hard to eat a pound of food at each meal. 5 lb fluctuations are perfectly normal