Vegetarian diet

I was wondering if any of you's would ever consider going vegetarian as a method to loose weight? or have any of you's done it and had success from it?

Replies

• allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    You go vegetarian for ethical/moral reasons rather than an aid to lose weight. - sorry if this sounds *****y but choosing vegetarian/vegan means seeing a bigger picture than just weightloss.

You can lose weight by maintaining your calorie deficit and tone up by exercising.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    You go vegetarian for ethical/moral reasons rather than an aid to lose weight. - sorry if this sounds *****y but choosing vegetarian/vegan means seeing a bigger picture than just weightloss.

You can lose weight by maintaining your calorie deficit and tone up by exercising.

People who go veggie/vegan as a weight loss tool are less likely to stay on it long term.
    My friend has been vegetarian as many years as we have been friends, and even more before we met. It's something deeply rooter in her, and that she's passionate for. I know if I did it for weight loss, I would stick to it probably a week, and then jump back into what's comfortable for me.
  • vickee13
    vickee13 Posts: 31
    Been a vegetarian doesn't mean a slim figure, I'm a vegetarian and in 2011 I was 20st! Healthy eating whether it includes meat or not is the only way for successful weight loss. Exercise is also a great tool, finding something you enjoy and will stick with is the key.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    i did a really nice chana daal fry the other night and at about 80 calories a serve (add that to the rice for a dinner at around 200cals) it was fantastic and I will be doing it again.

There's a really really cool indian website, and making those authentic flavours isn't actually hard!

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/chana-dal-recipe-chana-dal/
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Being a vegetarian doesn't mean you will lose weight. Without an ethical basis, there is no reason to cut out meat and fish. You wouldstill have to make healthy choices and be aware of calorie intake.

I was vegetarian for 4 years but actually started eating fish again because it made it easier to get enough lean protein in my diet.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    I spent 10 years completely vegetarian, and currently eat meat about once a week on average. Aaaaand when I started MFP I was obese in spite of my very active lifestyle and vegetarian diet. Vegetarianism is in no way a magic weight loss charm. What made me fat is that I ate a lot of high-calorie things that aren't meat, and I ate a lot. French fries, cookies, pasta, all those are vegetarian. Don't mean they're healthy.

Those studies that show vegetarians have a lower BMI than meat-eaters, etc? Personally I think that's because most vegetarians pay more attention to what goes in their mouth than the average omnivore. Just the fact that you are careful about reading ingredients and cook more at home means you are more likely to make healthy choices than the average American. But if you're already paying attention to your diet I doubt going veg will make a big difference.
  • bridgie101
    Let's all stop knocking this person and be helpful.

Get off your soap boxes and give her ideas!
  • Loralrose

We are being helpful by honestly answering the question. OP did not say "I'm vegetarian, can I lose weight?" OP asked "will going vegetarian help me lose weight?" The answer is no.

No soap boxes here. If someone wants to eat vegetarian that's great, and I'll give them recipes and support! And I don't question people on their motivations for it, that's up to them. But it will not help the OP achieve their goal. So if weight loss is the only motivation why waste so much effort on something that won't get results?
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Similar to other comments. I'm not knocking post just giving a view. Going vegetarian just to lose weight may work for a while but unless you are willing to stay that way it will just become another 'fad' diet which you may or may not be able to sustain. Hence why I said going veg/vegan is more than just for weight loss.
    I have been vegetarian for 24 years and was 15stone at my heaviest, there are other likeminded people here that are also overweight so no, I don't think going veg/vegan will automatically induce weightloss. Weightloss comes from being mindful of how much of any food you consume whether veggie, meat or a mix.
    If you want to try this way then I can suggest switching from meat to quorn based foods, but for best results eat what you enjoy just watch your portions/calorie intake.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    I don't think this is an optimal strategy.

Unless the food you consume that's causing you to miss you weight goals is of animal origin, it won't help much.

A Mars bar is vegetarian.
    Fries are vegetarian.
    A coconut milk curry portion can have 600 calories (and be delicious).
    Hummus has about 500 cals. per cup, depending on the amount of tahini.

My wife is vegetarian and 75% of the food we consume is so. I supplement with lean meats and similar. I still find it hard to lose weight, mostly from portion control!

Sure, if your problem is eating too many cheeseburgers it might help. But otherwise, if you substitute eating one of this for a salad without going fully vegetarian you'd still get benefits.
  • bridgie101

We are being helpful by honestly answering the question. OP did not say "I'm vegetarian, can I lose weight?" OP asked "will going vegetarian help me lose weight?" The answer is no.

No soap boxes here. If someone wants to eat vegetarian that's great, and I'll give them recipes and support! And I don't question people on their motivations for it, that's up to them. But it will not help the OP achieve their goal. So if weight loss is the only motivation why waste so much effort on something that won't get results?

Let's just tai ho on the whole "big picture" thing, cos it gets nobody anywhere, and look at the little picture which is:

what can we offer that can help?

If you have some vegetarian recipes, let's have at them!

Let not those recipes go to waste! Vegetarian food is cheap, often low calorie and delicious.

And even if us meat eaters only throw 2 vegetarian dinners into a week, that's probably half a cow that survived per year... :D
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    I went vegan (for animals) and put on weight lol, but before that was vegetarian and lost 25kgs.
    It all depends on whether you're tracking i think, as i haven't been in ages. Maybe i ate too many cashews.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Only if you think being vegetarian means eating only salad..

You'll have more success eating the foods you enjoy and give you energy by portion control!

Life is to be enjoyed and you will succeed in weightloss by training yourself good habits so unless you intend to stay veggie then how will you cope when you go back on meat? What cravings will you have?
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Sorry, becoming a vegetarian does not guarantee that you will lose weight. Whether you are vegan, vegetarian, a carnivore, it's the amount that you put in your body that counts. I was a vegetarian for 10 years, but honestly all that meant was that I didn't eat meat. I ate lots of crap, mostly breads, and I was overweight that whole time. Right now I am on a vegan diet, and have lost weight, but it's not because I've gone vegan. It's because I count every calorie that goes in my body, and I exercise almost every day so I can eat more calories and enjoy food instead of feeling deprived. I think being a vegetarian is a great thing. It is definitely my personal preference, and I think it's great if it's something you would like to try, but that alone will not guarantee the scale will go down. Whatever you do decide, good luck in your weight loss journey! It gets really exciting once you get going. :flowerforyou:
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    As a vegan, I believe this is a bad idea. You want to lose weight and keep it off? Change your lifestyle from today till your last one. Doing something you'd only keep doing as long as you're still losing will make you gain it back.

Why not just log your food and eat less?
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    You can lose weight on either a meaty or a vegan/vegetarian diet.

That being said, you will be healthier and live longer if you eat a vegetarian or vegan diet. About 2 months ago the University of Southern California completed an 18-year-long study which reported that eating meat was as bad for us as smoking. This upsets a lot of meat eaters, and a lot of blogs have been written about why this is false etc. because in today's society people think that opinion equals fact (Even a blog or magazine article written by a medical expert does not carry any weight in the academic community. It has to be a proper, long-term study done in a clinical setting through a university or research hospital and published in a respectable medical journal, such as this 18-year-long study.) However medical experts take these kind of studies such as this 18 year long study by USC as fact, or at least the best information we have, even when average laypeople do not understand their significance. It often takes a generation or two for this type of information to be accepted by the public. A similar study was done in the 1960's by the surgeon general and they found that smoking caused cancer. Most people believe that now, however at the time there were stragglers who refused to believe it.

This is not the first major academic study to conclude that eating meat will kill you. In the 1990's, Dr. Dean Ornish devised a diet that was nearly vegan, except it allowed fat free dairy, eggs, and fish for people who did not already have heart problems. This was the first diet in the history of medical science which was able to halt, and in some cases, reverse heart disease. His research has been covered on major news networks, most recently of which was a program called 20/20 which concluded that, with this information, heart attacks were completely a choice, based on diet.

Before this was the China Study by Campbell and Schurman, Professor Emeritus of Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell University, who had the same findings, that animal products such as meat or dairy were responsible for the "diseases of affluence" of western society, such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, arterioscelerosis etc. etc.

In the 90's, the American Journal of Medicine said that Vegetarians live 7 years longer, on average, than meat eaters, and that 97% of heart attacks are caused by eating animal products. There are many other studies as well if you want more academic references - I have loads.

I used to be a vegan (now vegetarian) for purely ethical reasons however science also supports this as being the right choice for health. That being said, you do not have to be veg to lose weight.
  • Loralrose

Let's just tai ho on the whole "big picture" thing, cos it gets nobody anywhere, and look at the little picture which is:

what can we offer that can help?

If you have some vegetarian recipes, let's have at them!

Let not those recipes go to waste! Vegetarian food is cheap, often low calorie and delicious. Look at all those tiny skinny little indian women: it's all that daal and cachumber. and it's easy, too! Who knew it was easy?

And even if us meat eaters only throw 2 vegetarian dinners into a week, that's probably half a cow that survived per year... :D

About 70% of urban indians are overweight or obese. What keeps those ladies you're talking about slim is an active lifestyle and not eating more than they burn. Yes, eating lots of vegetables can help you be satisfied with less calories. But unfortunately eating vegetarian does not necessarily mean eating more vegetables. Grain, sugar, dairy, nuts, and many other foods have loads of calories.

I don't think the OP would be very happy with my (vegetarian) recipes for vegetable korma, lasagna, quiche, etc. all of which are very calorie dense.

If the goal is ethics - save as many animals as possible - then cutting down on meat is great. Like you said even one more vegetarian meal per week will make a difference. But the OP did not say they want to do this to save cows. They want to lose weight... which simply cutting out meat will not achieve.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,885 Member

Good idea, now take your own advice.
  • neanderthin
    I was wondering if any of you's would ever consider going vegetarian as a method to loose weight? or have any of you's done it and had success from it?
    Vegetarian is a very healthy option compared to the SAD diet for health and if in a deficit will also lose weight.
  • neanderthin
    You can lose weight on either a meaty or a vegan/vegetarian diet.

That being said, you will be healthier and live longer if you eat a vegetarian or vegan diet. About 2 months ago the University of Southern California completed an 18-year-long study which reported that eating meat was as bad for us as smoking. This upsets a lot of meat eaters, and a lot of blogs have been written about why this is false etc. because in today's society people think that opinion equals fact (Even a blog or magazine article written by a medical expert does not carry any weight in the academic community. It has to be a proper, long-term study done in a clinical setting through a university or research hospital and published in a respectable medical journal, such as this 18-year-long study.) However medical experts take these kind of studies such as this 18 year long study by USC as fact, or at least the best information we have, even when average laypeople do not understand their significance. It often takes a generation or two for this type of information to be accepted by the public. A similar study was done in the 1960's by the surgeon general and they found that smoking caused cancer. Most people believe that now, however at the time there were stragglers who refused to believe it.

This is not the first major academic study to conclude that eating meat will kill you. In the 1990's, Dr. Dean Ornish devised a diet that was nearly vegan, except it allowed fat free dairy, eggs, and fish for people who did not already have heart problems. This was the first diet in the history of medical science which was able to halt, and in some cases, reverse heart disease. His research has been covered on major news networks, most recently of which was a program called 20/20 which concluded that, with this information, heart attacks were completely a choice, based on diet.

Before this was the China Study by Campbell and Schurman, Professor Emeritus of Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell University, who had the same findings, that animal products such as meat or dairy were responsible for the "diseases of affluence" of western society, such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, arterioscelerosis etc. etc.

In the 90's, the American Journal of Medicine said that Vegetarians live 7 years longer, on average, than meat eaters, and that 97% of heart attacks are caused by eating animal products. There are many other studies as well if you want more academic references - I have loads.

I used to be a vegan (now vegetarian) for purely ethical reasons however science also supports this as being the right choice for health. That being said, you do not have to be veg to lose weight.
    Thankfully gullibility doesn't inflict all vegetarian/vegans.