Vegetable diet

Options
Hi all!

I am not a vegetarian, but I love veggies and hardly ever eat meat. I love pasta and potatoes, oh my how I LOVE potatoes... :(
I am used to making a great big pot of rice or pasta stew with loads of vegetables and potatoes and I would have that for the next 2 days. And sometimes I would mess everything up by having crappy snacks like pakoras from the supermarket deli. I am not creative and I want to know if anyone has a tried and proven vegetarian diet that has helped you lose weight. I started running, I am only running once a week for 45 minutes and I'm hoping of increasing that to 3 times a week.

Any veggie or even pescetarian proven diet plans out there?

Thanks!

More info:

I am 31
I weigh 79 kilos
I am 169cm tall

I need to lose 10 kilos minimum

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight on a vegetarian or vegan diet just like any other if you cut calories.

And just like any other diet, there isn't a magic bullet that will make you lose weight without cutting calories.
  • holliehatesyou
    holliehatesyou Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you're really interested read "The Starch Solution" by Dr. John McDougall.

His way of eating (potatoes, grains, produce, beans with no oil) was the only thing that kicked me out of a long plateau. I was already a vegetarian with vegan tendencies, though, so it wasn't a huge change.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    You can certainly lose weight on a vegetarian diet. You just need to make sure that you are not overdoing it on the calories. Also, be sure that you're getting in enough protein. Running is good, but if you throw in some resistance training, that'll go a long way to helping you get the scale moving.

Allan
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian. My diet plan is "eat proper portions of foods I like and try to hit my macros". Pretty simple, yet effective.

One thing that I make a bunch of at one time and can eat for several days in a row (other than the obvious choices) are veggie-type patties. I basically just finely chop a bunch of different veggies (mushrooms, spinach, zucchini, celery, onions, peppers....anything really), saute them in garlic and spices, mix them together with a couple of eggs, cheese (I like feta best, personally, but have used goat cheese and cheddar, too), bread crumbs, quinoa or couscous, form in to patties, and bake them for about 40 minutes, or until they're a little crisp on the outside. They taste awesome and you can make a bunch at once. I've also added tuna to them before.

Pasta salad is also another really easy favorite. Boil noodles, mix them with whatever chopped veggies you like, some vinaigrette and cheese if desired...and I'm good on lunch for several days.

Be sure to pay attention to your protein intake. I didn't eat any meat or fish for about 18 years....had no idea how low my protein was until I tracked it on here for a bit.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

His way of eating (potatoes, grains, produce, beans with no oil) was the only thing that kicked me out of a long plateau. I was already a vegetarian with vegan tendencies, though, so it wasn't a huge change.

Forks over knives Documentary talks about this too. It is very interesting. I did this for a month- It really tough for me to maintain- so I quit. I did adopt many recipes and ways to prepare things. Many healthy habits that came from that month. I do not regret it at all and honestly my boyfriend (who eats really crummy most of the time) lost almost 20 lbs durring that month.

Google: Dr. Robert W. Esselstein, MD
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

I'm not trying to bash McDougall. I basically followed his plan with some added fish oil for my brain. And eating his method, I maintained my weightloss without counting calories.

HOWEVER, to the OP, if you want to run, McDougall might not be the best diet plan to model. Just my opinion.
  • faeryraine
    faeryraine Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments, guys.
    I really appreciate the responses.
    I do know how to take care of myself as a runner, and I know there aren't any magic diets.

What I am looking for, and can't seem to find any, would be veggy diet plans online.
    I was hoping for any of you in my same situation to share your veg diet plans, I need to eat 1100 on days I am not running. Remember also I am starting to run, so I am aware that once I start running regularly I will need to increase my cals. Thing is I have an office job and I'm pretty much on the pc all day, so when I am not out running I will need to only eat 1100.

Also super thanks to the ones who linked me with that Dr. I will look into his plan. Any other actual veggy diet plans are warmly welcomed. :):*

may I add, I find it difficult to count calories every single day, so an actual plan would help me stick to the cals I need and make sure I don't go over, hope that makes sense.