Keeping it Lean

Options
I've recently started getting into strength training again and LOVE it! With that love comes the edge of worry that every time in the past that I have started to get serious about working out and especially with strength training, I bulk up like it's nobody's business! We're talking bulky and rippling calves and back and though I know there are others who try for that - I am not one of them. My calves will usually get so big that they are the determining factor on the size of jeans I can buy.

So my question is... how do I tweak my workouts/diet so that I don't turn into a female-Hulk? I don't do really heavy weights with smaller sets. I do just as much weight as I can handle to do 3 sets of 12-15 reps for any given exercise. I'm not a huge fan of cardio, but I do try and get in two half hour sessions in a week. Strength training I shoot for 2-3 half hour circuit training or HIIT sessions per week. Advice?

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've recently started getting into strength training again and LOVE it! With that love comes the edge of worry that every time in the past that I have started to get serious about working out and especially with strength training, I bulk up like it's nobody's business! We're talking bulky and rippling calves and back and though I know there are others who try for that - I am not one of them. My calves will usually get so big that they are the determining factor on the size of jeans I can buy.

So my question is... how do I tweak my workouts/diet so that I don't turn into a female-Hulk? I don't do really heavy weights with smaller sets. I do just as much weight as I can handle to do 3 sets of 12-15 reps for any given exercise. I'm not a huge fan of cardio, but I do try and get in two half hour sessions in a week. Strength training I shoot for 2-3 half hour circuit training or HIIT sessions per week. Advice?

Heh well I really doubt its muscle to be honest, muscle gain is long-fought and hard to come by. You don't get it in months and you don't get it at all with high volume sets like the ones you are doing (12-15 reps). What does happen though is if you do strength training with weights is your muscle ends up swelling with retained water associated with glycogen stores and repair. They get physically bigger and feel much harder but its water, not muscle. That happens when you lift weights and there isn't really a way around it. If you make lifting a regular routinue your muscles can become more efficient and retain less water over time so that will decrease a bit.

You are not hulking-out though, actual substantial muscle gain takes years and heavy lifting.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well...bulk is not something women do easily without steroids...nor at a deficet...nor without a progressive load lifting program.

no need to tweak anything as you wont turn into a female hulk...

I have been lifting heavy for 7 months and I have yet to go up in size...in anything...just down...

The weights you are lifting are not going to build strength or muscle...what you are going to get is muscle endurance.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    well...bulk is not something women do easily without steroids...nor at a deficet...nor without a progressive load lifting program.

no need to tweak anything as you wont turn into a female hulk...

I have been lifting heavy for 7 months and I have yet to go up in size...in anything...just down...

The weights you are lifting are not going to build strength or muscle...what you are going to get is muscle endurance.

This. By doing low weight high volume you are at most going to get more vascular and your muscles will gain some strength and a lot of endurance but no size other than the swelling associated with water retention I described.
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Heh well I really doubt its muscle to be honest, muscle gain is long-fought and hard to come by. You don't get it in months and you don't get it at all with high volume sets like the ones you are doing (12-15 reps). What does happen though is if you do strength training with weights is your muscle ends up swelling with retained water associated with glycogen stores and repair. They get physically bigger and feel much harder but its water, not muscle. That happens when you lift weights and there isn't really a way around it. If you make lifting a regular routinue your muscles can become more efficient and retain less water over time so that will decrease a bit.

You are not hulking-out though, actual substantial muscle gain takes years and heavy lifting.

Why do you doubt it's muscle? What else can it be?
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Heh well I really doubt its muscle to be honest, muscle gain is long-fought and hard to come by. You don't get it in months and you don't get it at all with high volume sets like the ones you are doing (12-15 reps). What does happen though is if you do strength training with weights is your muscle ends up swelling with retained water associated with glycogen stores and repair. They get physically bigger and feel much harder but its water, not muscle.That happens when you lift weights and there isn't really a way around it. If you make lifting a regular routinue your muscles can become more efficient and retain less water over time so that will decrease a bit.

I think he covered that already: What does happen though is if you do strength training with weights is your muscle ends up swelling with retained water associated with glycogen stores and repair. They get physically bigger and feel much harder but its water, not muscle.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Did you not read it?
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    12-15 is in the hypertrophy range for women. Up the weight and lower the reps.

But it's not muscle. It's glycogen that's adding mass. If you cut, and you see ripples all over your body like a bodybuilder or figure competitor, then you can say it's adding muscle.

Also, eat at a deficit. Any muscle gained will be minimal, and with the fat loss that you get from a deficit, you'll shrink, not swell.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

Would suggest re-reading.

ETA: Or ACTUALLY reading in the first place
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    12-15 is in the hypertrophy range for women. Up the weight and lower the reps.

But it's not muscle. It's glycogen that's adding mass. If you cut, and you see ripples all over your body like a bodybuilder or figure competitor, then you can say it's adding muscle.

Also, eat at a deficit. Any muscle gained will be minimal, and with the fat loss that you get from a deficit, you'll shrink, not swell.

I agree with the reps. You want 4-8 reps to failure to build strength.

As for everything else, we're all pretty much rewording the same info. You might swell up at first but if you're eating at a deficit, you're not "building" or gaining muscle mass. It's mostly water and glycogen rushing in those areas to repair it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

It can be water and most likely is water. The fastest you can really put on muscle is about 0.5-1 pound a month and that's if you are full on bodybuilding eating at a surplus. People don't just accidently slap on pounds of muscle especially on a diet and especially doing high volume sets.

The retention of water associated with repair and glycogen storing causes muscle to swell and become harder without actually adding muscle mass. This coupled with people dieting often losing fat covering the muscle adding to its definition they get the false impression that their muscles are bigger when they aren't at all.

Your calves might actually become physically larger, much harder and much more defined...but that doesn't mean you are adding muscle mass.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    OP honestly high rep weight lifting in a circuit or with HIIT is more cardio than it is strength training. I do a fullbody weight llifting circuit myself but I consider it cardio. Its good for you, it will help you retain your muscle, it will get your heart rate up as well which will improve your fitness level..but its not what people do to put on muscle and there is a reason for that. If you like doing it then keep it up and rest assured that you will not "hulk out"
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Sorry to spam you with posts but I had one more thought.

If you somehow doubt this and are convinced that no, no this is actual muscle you are gaining then you can do the following to test it.

Stop lifting weights for one week. During this time lower your carb intake and drink lots of water, I mean lots and lots of water much more than you usually would. Then after about 5 days of that cut your water back to a low level.

If you put on real muscle this will do absolutely nothing to the shape and size of your calves. If, however, as I suspect, this increase in size is just due to water retention then your calves are going to deflate like a pricked water balloon when you stop lifting (decreasing the need to store glycogen and surround the muscle with water for repair), start eating low carb (decreasing the pool of available glycogen), drink tons of water (flushing sodium from your system) and then cut back on your water (your body will flush most of the retained water at this point).

I'd bet that increase in diameter of your calves will vanish in a week.
  • reisingmel
    reisingmel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the numerous replies! I almost feel silly for thinking it's muscle now... I just know I've never gotten smaller with the routines I've done in the past. I never wear shorts because my calves look ridiculous. I have all brothers who are quite muscular and I put them to shame, ha! I will continue with strength training and try upping the weights and lowering the reps for a couple months and then try the week off with tons of water. The only time I've ever had skinny calves was when I was stuck in a hospital bed for 1.5 months and not allowed to eat. I know that was muscle atrophy and it was not pretty, but it was kinda nice to have girly calves for the first time in my life :)