what activity level should I set at?

Options
Hi Everyone,

okay, so after a while away from fitness, I still need to lose around 30lb

I have an office job where I sepdn most of my day behind a desk.

however.

I am in the Gym every morning from 6.30am to 7.45am doing cardio work.

so am I sedentary? or another setting?

Replies

• ahkennett
    ahkennett Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A lot of that depends on what you plan to do about your exercise. If you're planning to log those morning workouts, then I would pick a lower activity level, as you're going to take that activity into account with the logging. If you're not going to log that exercise, then select a higher level of activity to take into account the calorie burn.
  • norulesjustplay
    Options
    I would suggest taking the first activity level above sedentary, or select sedentary and log your activity manually (like ahkennett mentioned).

When I was cutting, I settled with eating 2000 cals/day. Not because my TDEE calculator gave me that exact same number, but because I kept track of my weight loss and lowered/ raised my calories depending on my results.

These calculators aren't 100% correct, they are just guidelines. Look in the mirror, track your weight and you will be able to determine your TDEE yourself.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Few people are truly sedentary even with a desk job. MFP's sedentary setting is very conservative. I would at least start with lightly active and evaluate from there.

Keep in mind that MFP's activity setting does not include exercise. They expect you to log it later and eat at least some of those calories too.

ETA - TDEE is not the same as MFP. TDEE includes exercise. Since you are asking here and the wording of your question I am assuming you meant MFP settings.
  • jdavis2386
    jdavis2386 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would go with lightly active...I have a desk job but on a busy day at work I can get in 7,000+ steps.....on a slow day i can get in 3,000ish. I feel unless you lay down all day long and only get up to use the bathroom you can no have a sedentary life.....have fun on your adventure.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

okay, so after a while away from fitness, I still need to lose around 30lb

I have an office job where I sepdn most of my day behind a desk.

however.

I am in the Gym every morning from 6.30am to 7.45am doing cardio work.

so am I sedentary? or another setting?

Are you a couch potato other than your gym workouts? Or do you cook dinners, clean the house, laundry, etc? Your gym workouts are separate from your normal lifestyle activities. I have a desk job, then do light housework and cooking in the evenings, then moderate housework/laundry on the weekends. This makes my lifestyle activity "lightly active." Sedentary is someone who basically never leaves the house, virtually doesn't move at all, like couch potato all evening just watching TV and eating microwave meals.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    This! The exercise you log should not be figured into how active you are for MFP purposes. I too have a desk job, but I pretty much never sit down in the evenings except to eat dinner. I have custom goals sett for my calories and macros, but I do have it set as lightly active.