Going to Germany for a month

Options
Hello I need some help.
Back in 2012 I reached my goal using MFP, then I got sick and was put on meds which made me gain 30 pounds. Now that my healthy has return I have lost most of the weight and I am pretty happy with my progress and not obsessive about anything. I am going to Germany in July, but my weight is quiet unstable right now. My goal is to get back to what I was before becoming ill and then start maintaining again. When I begin again weight my body fought so hard to maintain all the weight I lost but the side effects of those meds are weight gain which I knew about.

I am a bit worried about gaining weight while on vacation. Once my weight stabilizes I will not gain, but for now I am not sure what I should do. I don't want to hear your on vacation eat whatever you want. I'm going to be there for a month and I don't want to keep yoyoing my body between weights because I know this can also be very bad for the body.

I will be eating dinner out everyday but have control over breakfast and lunch. If anyone has any ideas on what meals are healthy and what I can order in Germany that would be great.

Thank you.

Oh I guess I should point out my fiance has food allergies and is from Germany but moved (US) here for me. So we're not eating at he "normal" places it will make him sick.

Replies

• GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If you are having the traditional tourist foodie experience in Germany, expect that it is very fatty and carby (bread, cheese, cake, pastries). You'll just have to be conscience about portion control if you choose to eat traditional German cuisine. Ich wuensche dir viel Spass. Deutsche Kuchen sind lecker!
  • prettylolita
    prettylolita Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh I guess I should point out my fiance has food allergies and is from Germany but moved here for me. So we're not eating at he "normal" places it will make him sick.
  • SixFt5DocRice
    Options
    I have to agree. I've been to Europe (Spain, Romania) and have to say that a BIG part of the experience is the different cuisine. Just eat smaller portions of the things you know are a negative for your Goals. You've gained the willpower and now you'll be called on to exercise it. Just remember, whatever you gain while you are away from your routine here in the States, you'll have to work just as hard (if not harder) to drop it again when you get back.
  • angraham2
    angraham2 Posts: 128
    Options
    You shouldn't have too much trouble. Just watch portion sizes and order appetizers instead of meals. Drink lots of water and do tons of walking. You should really enjoy yourself, splurge on a meal once or twice a week. Think of it as the same thing you would do in a restaurant here. Share your meals with your Man! There are many ways to cut down on calories and still have a great time.

Take Care.
  • waterskh
    waterskh Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am a German American dual citizen and have lived in both countries, so I can try to help. First of all Germans are typically quite a bit lighter than Americans despite the stereotype of chubby Germans and this is mostly because of small portions and active lifestyles.
    You will most likely be walking A LOT! Germany is big on walking and public transportation. A lot of people bike everywhere as well, so if you can get access to bikes that can be a great way to work out while on vacation.
    The tourist experience of food is very different from the German experience. While we love our sausage, cheese, chocolate, and potatoes, we generally eat MUCH smaller portions than in America.
    One thing to watch for is the cost of water. Germans generally do not drink tap water, opting often for the bubbly stuff. Bring a water bottle and fill up at your fiancees familys house or hotel or wherever you are staying since it can be very expensive to drink water at a restaurant. Beer is often cheaper than water which is both wonderful and terrible!
    Let me know if you have any more questions, and HAVE FUN! It can be a wonderful place to visit. Where are you going in Germany, if you dont mind me asking.
  • redhotsc
    redhotsc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would definitely be watching portions sizes. Drink plenty of water. If possible, always try to start a larger meal with a soup. It should sit heavier in the stomach and offer a feeling of fullness. Obviously, make sure to eat the fruits and veggies- full of fiber and mostly low in calories (depending on how they are prepared). In addition to watching the food, I have heard- never experienced- that most of Europe is very active. Try taking walks or riding bikes to get in a little exercise and see the area.
  • prettylolita
    Options
    @Waterskh

My fiance is from Stuttgart, but we'll be in Erlangen, because he'll be there for his job. I'm very excited to go. I really want to meet his family, but I also don't want to go crazy with food, because overeating is what caused me to gain weight in the first place. I do not feel full like others so I have to be extra careful. I really want to try all the wonderful breads and cheeses. I will be at home alone most of the time and do plan to walk everywhere. What kinds of places have the best types of food?
  • waterskh
    Options
    Ooh food. Well if you want to eat healthy, your best bet is to go to Aldi and buy groceries to eat at home. If you want deliciousness that is not particularly healthy you cant really go wrong. I personally adore Doener Kebabs which are basically pita pockets with meat, cabbage, and garlicky type sauces. They are usually Turkish owned.
    Any bakery will have wonderful broetchen which are bread rolls but, again, those can be calorie bombs. Any touristy German Brauhaus will have great food too, schnitzel and spaetzle and Sauerkraut oh my! I am really hungry now...I miss my Grandmas cooking.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am a German American dual citizen and have lived in both countries, so I can try to help. First of all Germans are typically quite a bit lighter than Americans despite the stereotype of chubby Germans and this is mostly because of small portions and active lifestyles.
    You will most likely be walking A LOT! Germany is big on walking and public transportation. A lot of people bike everywhere as well, so if you can get access to bikes that can be a great way to work out while on vacation.
    The tourist experience of food is very different from the German experience. While we love our sausage, cheese, chocolate, and potatoes, we generally eat MUCH smaller portions than in America.
    One thing to watch for is the cost of water. Germans generally do not drink tap water, opting often for the bubbly stuff. Bring a water bottle and fill up at your fiancees familys house or hotel or wherever you are staying since it can be very expensive to drink water at a restaurant. Beer is often cheaper than water which is both wonderful and terrible!
    Let me know if you have any more questions, and HAVE FUN! It can be a wonderful place to visit. Where are you going in Germany, if you dont mind me asking.

Germans thought I was weird for drinking tap water as the norm. I hate how the word for "water" in German refers to club soda by default.
  • prettylolita
    Options
    I will be sure to try all of these things. They sound very good. Thank you so much for your help. I feel more confident going now.
  • waterskh
    Options
    No problem! Have fun! It is a great place and I miss it a lot!
  • Wigguru
    Wigguru Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I manage fine when I go to visit my other half's family and that includes eating out. It's all about portion size and selecting anything other than bratkartoffeln when dining out (mostly impossible I'll admit). My family are rather traditional in the sense that it's eat big at lunch time which is fairly useful as a lot of restaurants accommodate for quick small portions as a result of lunch being the main meal of the day.

As for eating in, I pretty much live on what I would do at home since we tend to cook a lot of Germanic dishes anyway and anything bland can be instantly improved with maggi liquid seasoning. Most butchers in Germany are a bit more helpful than what I'm used too in the UK and even at Edeka or Aldi you can always ask for lean cuts of anything and they will generally do their best to help. Plenty of fruit and veg os available, and white asparagus is delicious when it's in season.

The only issue you may come.across are the German love of adding sour cream to most potato dishes, all their delicious cakes and desserts, their proper Italian ice cream (I could so go for Spaghetti Eis right now), and as mentioned their distaste for tap water. Oh and Mezzo Mix. Stay clear if anyone offers you that. Ew.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I know this is an inactive topic, but I was excited to see another headed to Deutschland for July! I am leaving on 30. June and will be there for the month. Hubs is staying here in the States :cry: Don't know where you will be but I am headed to the Pfaelzerwald, coming out only long enough to visit museums in Berlin and Nuremberg.

I lose weight without any effort or meal watching at all every time I go over. I credit the difference in lifestyle and lack of stress. There, I use public transport or walk everywhere. It is just easier to me than even renting a car. I eat cleaner because I actually have easier access to healthier food choices at the open-air farmer markets and ubiquitous produce stands. Hiking trails lace the landscape. Beer is the beverage of choice LOL although I do enjoy the mineral water.

Have fun on your trip!