White at a wedding

Options
Vicxie86
Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
I just wanted to know everyone else's thought about the issue of wearing white to a wedding. Tradition says it's a no no and i'm all for it but a friend of mine says that is what she wants to wear. So, is tradition out the window? would you wear white to a wedding? how would you react if someone wore white to your wedding?

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I don't wear white to a wedding. If someone showed up to my wedding wearing white? I probably wouldn't care, but I doubt I'd be a bridezilla about anything anyway. I definitely wouldn't care enough to ever say anything about it.
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't...too many bridezillas out there :laugh:
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I'd never wear white to a wedding. Heck, I'm probably not even gonna wear to my own wedding, if I ever have one. But it's considered rude to wear it if the bride wears white.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I've worn white to a wedding, in fact I have several white dresses. I didn't even know that was a thing! Wear what you like (except maybe a wedding dress if it's not your wedding!).
  • Lady_Clarington
    Lady_Clarington Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Depends who it is.

For instance if the mother-in-law / mother of the bride wore white I would be horribly confused as to what they were thinking and wondering how much in their minds the wedding was as much about them as the happy couple and this would piss me off (if it were my wedding) terribly. Because I am a very prone to tantrums like that.

If it were a friend wearing a nice simple white dress I'd be jealous that they think they'll manage to keep it free of wine stains.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Bridezilla says:

wUFn861.gif

Wearing white at someone else's wedding is tacky.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    It's rude. Period. Your friend needs to be properly socialized before being released among other humans.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I think it would be an insult to the bride, unless it's a dual wedding and they've agreed beforehand. Tell your friend to have some freakin' manners.
  • hig17
    hig17 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Well, I am getting married June 14th and I better be the only one in white that day. (haha spoken like a true bridezilla, which I am not.....yet) LOL
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Dear God, no! I would be pissed if some woman did that at my wedding. Not cool. But maybe it's just me. It depends on the bride's opinion.
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Why would someone want to wear white at a wedding other than the bride? It's just going to cause issues. Bridezilla's are not to be messed with.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I would never wear white/ivory to someones wedding. I think the bride should be the only one in white/ivory on that day. I think its thoughtless and lacks good manners for anyone else to.

If someone wore white to my wedding, I wouldn't make it an issue, but I would wonder if they were trying to make a statement. I don't like huge weddings anyway - so I would never expect my close family & friends to feel the need to do that. I doubt the type of person who would consider wearing white to a wedding, would be on my invitation list in the first place.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I guess my only hangup would be not to wear all white. If you have a nice white top or white pants, go for it. But, white on top and bottom (like a white sundress, for example) would be a big no-no, in my opinion. That's pretty much how I feel about if people wore white to my wedding too... White top or bottom is fine, but IMO there's only 1 white dress at a wedding! There are so many other colors you could wear (heck, even cream is better) that if someone else wore a white dress to my wedding I'd assume it was just to be rude... especially since my wedding is in December and the "it's a nice sundress" thing won't apply!

Edit: How I would react... I probably wouldn't create a scene AT the wedding, but I'd probably at least talk to the person afterward and tell them that I felt it was rude and ask why they felt like they had to do it. I know the people I'm inviting well enough to know that if they chose to do that it would be a conscious decision just to be rude, so that's why I'd be upset. I wouldn't feel like I needed to steal the show, but rather why they felt like they needed to try to piss me off.
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I've worn white to a wedding, in fact I have several white dresses. I didn't even know that was a thing! Wear what you like (except maybe a wedding dress if it's not your wedding!).

:laugh: that would be awkward
  • KatieLouWho19
    KatieLouWho19 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine got married and said that if she saw anyone wearing white - she would kick them out. LOL. I love her. :love:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't wear white ever as I hate it, but it wouldn't bother me if someone wore it to a wedding.
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    White dress? No. Just no.

White as one part of an outfit with other colors, would be OK.

The bride is the one who wears white as a wedding. Common courtesy.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Pure white is a no-no. Not tradition, it just detracts from the bride. If your freind is going to wear white I suggest she checks with the bride first that that would be acceptable.

I've worn a black and white dress with a yellow cardi to a wedding, though.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    White, or red, or wearing anything that is going to distract from the bride and groom is a no-no.