Yoga?

Options
I have been wanted to try yoga for some time now. Does anyone here do yoga? Can you recommend an online site to go to? Or any beginning advice ?

Replies

• Pucks_and_Balls
    Pucks_and_Balls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I can't offer much advice seeing as I'm just starting out too, but I went to my first class last week at a new-ish studio (only open for a few months). I wanted to find a laid back place to take classes and not a studio that was really into the hippie-type culture, as that really didn't fit me. I'm also going to try a class at the Y I go to. I'd say finding a place that meshes with your personality and has patient instructors will be key in wanting to stick with it.

As far as videos, I don't know, but I'd be curious for others' input for days I can't make it to class.
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Take a class! .. Try something fun! I did yoga at home for years, now i religiously go to Moksha for hot yoga and i love it. I have been doing yoga for 7 years, best thing i ever did.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I suggest you start by taking a live class. With videos, if you have never done yoga it will be hard to correct your form.
  • Laney2r
    Laney2r Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use an app on my I-phone called Yoga studio. I would recommend if you are just starting out in yoga to go to a studio so you can learn the correct way to pose. Even though yoga is a good strengthening and stretching workout, if you try poses that are to hard for your skill level or do a position wrong it is possible to hurt yourself. As you look into yoga you will find many different forms and practices, try them and see which ones you like. :)
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    YouTube has many segments on yoga, there are a lot of DVDs available too. I have been performing yoga on and off for 12+ years. There are many benefits from regular practice.

Starting out, look for an instructor (live or online/DVD) that will cover breathing and proper form. On YouTube, type in beginner yoga and you will get a lot of options, I would watch a few before trying one to find and instructor you can follow as well as the type of yoga you can perform.

yoga.com could help you too!

Have fun!
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Started in December. Love it. Take the classes first as stated here, you'll learn more. Don't try to do too much too soon. People have different levels of flexibility.

I found buying my own mat helpful. The supplied mats were a bit "slippery" and I didn't feel I could relax while stretching or I would slip. Mine is tacky and solves that problem.

http://www.yogajournal.com/
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I like videos by Gaiam. I bought them from Amazon and I think you can find them on YouTube.
    Look for things that are aimed for beginners and shorter in duration. (Most of them will be an hour, so look for the run time)
    It would be very beneficial to go to a studio for your first couple of classes, because yoga is all about alignment and even tiny differences in a position can make a huge difference on where you feel it and whether you will feel benefits.
    Make sure you tell your instructor that you are new and he/she will keep and eye on you and correct you.

With that said, classes can be expensive and long. But I've found that the basic Gaiam videos have clear enough explanation and adequate pace that even a beginner can do it at home properly.
  • MyNaturalHue
    Options
    There are various types of yoga classes and each are beneficial in their own right. As a beginner Id suggest finding a studio that will either allow you to take a private class with an instructor to learn some of the different poses or take a class that specifies that its for beginners. When I first started taking yoga I started off with Hatha Yoga and even level one Vinyasa. I've taken hot yoga and thats pretty intense if you arent used to being in a high tempered room going through various moves.
  • jamielann
    Options
    Although I agree with the others above that it's probably best to start at a live class, I know not everyone feels comfortable with that kind of thing - I'm one of them. So if you do choose to do it at home, I recommend "Yoga for Beginners" with Desi Bartlett, the lunar practice on there is particularly good for beginners and it's quite cheap on Amazon. A youtube search of her name brings up some videos, but mostly full length prenatal videos, or sample clips.

But youtube in general is quite good for having full length fitness videos on there, you just have to search for them.
  • MelissaA007
    MelissaA007 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice. I will definitely check out classes today and hopefully find the perfect fit. Thank you all for the drama free thread!,,,
  • GDowning2Fit
    GDowning2Fit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Erin Motz has a great 28 day yoga program that is good for beginners. You can type in "28 days yoga" in YouTube and it will bring it up. It's free and full length, but only 20 minutes or so per day which is a great start for newbies. I used to purchase so many workout programs, but now YouTube is my best friend...
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I love Rodney Yee's DVDs!
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice. I will definitely check out classes today and hopefully find the perfect fit. Thank you all for the drama free thread!,,,
    Hang on, lemme fix that..

Drama.gif
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I agree with all those who said to start out taking some classes. You can then move on to doing it on your own, once you know the correct form. Yogadownload.com has loads of free 20 minute video and audio classes. I ended up buying a membership so I could purchase the longer ones.

Congratulations on picking up yoga, by the way. It's a wonderful practice that will carry over into so many other aspects of your life, and not just other physical activities. I had toyed with it for years, but started doing it in earnest in January. I've done yoga over 100 times so far this year; not only have I gained strength (especially in my core) and flexibility, but I discovered this week that my blood pressure has dropped to the lowest it's been in 11 years!
  • GDowning2Fit
    GDowning2Fit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Here's the link to day 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wJtQjQ4HI8

Here's another link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRlzPXHP_Jo ( 28 day program provided by BeFit) All Free on YouTube

Not sure if you like pilates... but here's a link to 30 day pilates challenge! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT5r2NR7oAA
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I love Rodney Yee's DVDs!

Agree 100%! I also agree with the poster who mentioned Gaiam dvds. After I bought my first Gaiam dvd, they are almost all I buy now. I've only done beginner yoga at home. I don't really want to take a yoga class here in germany because I tense up when anybody speaks to me so I'm not sure I'd be able to follow everything the instructor says. I will be visiting my family in California this summer and plan to find a studio where I can learn proper technique. So far, absolutely love yoga. I find a 20 minute video is perfect post workout.
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yoga Journal also offers a free 21 day yoga challenge. Every day they email you a video link, for 21 days. You can choose beginner or intermediate. The links to all 42 workouts are available here: http://www.yogajournal.com/21daychallenge/dailynewsletter/ . Or you could just sign up for the challenge (http://www.yogajournal.com/21daychallenge/) and have them sent to you daily. Some of these are pretty challenging; some are very easy. I really enjoy the variety. I've been going back to them, and it's interesting to see how much I've progressed when returning to a challenging one, say, a month later.
  • kablewi2
    kablewi2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been doing some videos that I find on Amazon. I think I'll look into Leapin_Lemur's Yoga Journal though. That sounds cool.
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Classes are good! However I would recommend by starting with some youtube videos to learn proper form for basic poses. (like downward dog, pigeon, cobra, ect..) Yoga With Adrian on youtube is a great place to start for that!

I also love to use a website called .yogajournal.com. You can build your own sequence and print it off so you can work on poses wherever you are! They also explain each pose and its proper form, ect..

Yoga is awesome and will make your body feel fantastic! Good Luck :)