Healthy dinner to make at home?? HELP

Options
jecka93
jecka93 Posts: 415 Member
Hey MFP's!!
So I'm 20 years old, so I don't have a lot of cooking experience!
I'm looking for easy healthy meals to cook for dinner time!!
I hate FISH!! So no fish recipes please, also chicken is my favourite meat do anything chicken I'll try!
Help? :D

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy"...
  • LouLoulost
    LouLoulost Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    chicken tacos

ground chicken -brown in a pan
    shredded cheese
    green salsa
    fresh tomato's
    light sour cream
    easy yummy whalah!

linguini-
    sauté mushrooms and onions in olive oil
    cooked linguini drained pour veggies over it sprinkle with parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes
    yum
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This site has been mentioned many times here, but is worth mentioning again - skinnytaste.
    Another site that has some pretty good healthy meals - budgetbytes There are tons more out there but that might help give some ideas.

A super easy versatile way to cook chicken:
    2-4 pcs chicken (can be frozen or partially thawed) in a crockpot on high for 4 hours.Tip: I always use cooking spray on the inside of my crockpot.
    Seasoning options:
    Bbq sauce (may want to thin with just a tiny bit of water)
    Ranch hidden valley dressing mix mixed with a bit of water
    Italian dressing mix mixed with a bit of water
    Italian seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder
    paprika and garlic powder

You can add a bit of extra water if you feel it may be too dry, but, I normally don't as the chicken thaws and cooks, you will get plenty of broth.

Add your choice of veggies in with chicken or add on the side separately. If cooking the vegetable with the chicken, I would recommend not adding any extra water.

Edit: cooking directions
  • shanindy
    shanindy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    the site I use is www.cookinglight.com. I have been using a lot of their recipes, and so far have liked all of them.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Get a crock pot! Super easy~ dinner makes itself while you are at work :)

Toss in a few chicken breasts, cover with salsa.
    Serve with tortillas, cheese, lettuce, etc
    Instant tacos!
  • stephaniebeaudin5
    Options
    Hey try pintrest it has alot of neat things and worst comes to worse why not grab some friends have the
    Come over and you can all cook together! Why not if you say you don't have the expeience it is a lifeskill that will
    Change you for the better. Start small and like I said don't do it alone do it with friends. I ALSO Recommend incooprporating fitness into this cooking day maybe it could be your group workout and cookinh day? If you want to know
    More message me my boyfriend is a professional chef. Goodluck
  • deeleyn
    deeleyn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    something I really like that isn't to difficult is an open-face sandwich.

For the bread you want something that is really crusty and has structure to it. I like sourdough and tend to make it homemade, but you can always buy it at the store. For the meat I use thin cut chicken breast, or you could just buy regular chicken breast and pound them out with a mallet. All you need to do to the chicken is sprinkle it with salt and pepper, then pan sear it in some olive oil and it will cook through in a few minutes. I also like to added some form of sautéed or grilled veg. Personal favorites are zucchini or shredded Brussels sprouts. Once everything is cooked take your slice of bread, put a light layer of brie cheese on it (this make the sandwich really gooey and creamy, plus holds the veggies in place), place your veggies on next then your chicken on top. It is a really delicious sandwich that is fresh and feels a lot more decadent then it really is.
  • pecan110
    pecan110 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite recipes easy and yummy --
    Buffalo Lime Chicken

1 lb boneless chicken breasts or tenders
    1 cup Frank's hot sauce or wing sauce
    1/4 cup lime juice
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    1/4 tsp salt

Whisk together hot sauce, lime juice, garlic, oil and salt. Pour over chicken and marinate a few hours to overnight.

Remove chicken from marinade and sauté or grill until done.

another one;I use TURKEY meat instead, I also use fresh spinach and I stopped using the dipping sauce cause they really don't need them and to many calories. I make these up and freeze into individual servings so you can just grab defrost and be ready.

Chicken Spanikopita Meatballs with Tzatziki Dipping Sauce
    (makes 18 meatballs)
    recipe adapted from Rachel Ray
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, finely minced
    1/2 lb frozen spinach, thawed then squeeze out excess water
    3/4 C crumbled feta cheese
    1 lb ground chicken or turkey
    1 Tb McCormick Montreal Grill Seasoning
    Olive oil

Tzatziki Sauce:
    1 C plain Greek yogurt
    1/3 cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated
    1 1/2 Tb fresh dill
    1 Tb fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, add all the ingredients for the meatballs, being sure to separate the spinach into small pieces as you add it. Add a liberal drizzle (2-3 Tb) of olive oil over the top, then mix it all together using your hands. Form the mixture into 18 - 1 1/2 inch meatballs and place them on a cookie sheet. Bake for 13-16 minutes until the juices run clear.
    2. While the meatballs are cooking, mix together all the ingredients for the tzatziki sauce and serve on the side with the hot meatballs.

***For a freezer meal, follow the recipe up through forming the meatballs. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer until the raw meatballs are frozen. Toss them in a freezer bag and mark with the cooking directions. Thaw them on a cookie sheet before baking, so you don't end up with a one big meatball in your freezer bag :)