What to order at a Mexican restaraunt

Options
Hi! My husband and I LOVE Mexican food and love to eat out. I am looking for some main dishes that I can order that won't totally blow my calorie count for the day. Any ideas? I do eat fajitas w/out the tortillas, but I'm looking for some other ideas. :-)

Replies

• poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    I like to order an avocado tostada with refried beans (on the tostada, not as a side). It's like a salad on a crisp tortilla without the dressing. I love cheese enchiladas, but too much fat, so sworn off until I reach my goal weight. I try to avoid a lot of cheese, fried components, sour cream. I go for salsa, keep the chips to a minimum (4 or 5), and don't order a marguerita.
  • jec228
    jec228 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Listening in.... mexican always ends up being a treat for me becuase I can't limit those tortilla chips
  • melissajane83
    melissajane83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i usually get the chicken fajitas and don't eat the tortillas. Most places will even let you just order the meat. I also love Chicken Tortilla soup. The place I get it from will give it to me without the chicken and without the tortilla strips. They put avocado in it. Its very good and low calorie.
  • stephaniebeaudin5
    Options
    Hello,
    So I love arroz con pollo with no cheese and lettuce on the side. Opt for corn tortillas and always have chicken as your meat source. I have two sins for food due to being in a realtionship
    With a chef and that's asian and Mexican. Here are some basic tools of success when eating out in general see if this
    Helps. Opt for the vegetarian option no chees no sour
    Cream and watch those sauces some are loaded with unwanted oils. Try to go for something that had veggies in it so it helps
    To fill you faster and corn torts before flour. I also would like to add that if you can skip
    The corona and margaritas that youll save calories there too. Try tacos with meat,
    Lettuce, pico, cilantro just no creams and no cheeses, use the free chips Through the meal and use them as utensils for eating with your food instead of as a presnack before. That my friend is my two cents. Please feel
    Free to message me for more
    Advice on food or whatever. Goodluck enjoy your food.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I like soft tacos, and some places may allow you to sub a side salad for rice and beans (doesn't hurt to ask). Or order the tacos ala carte and get a cup of soup with it (watch out for cream based soups or if they put tortilla strips and cheese in it). I also really like taco salads. I get it with chicken, skip the sour cream, and use salsa instead of dressing. It usually ends up not being to bad, and it's easy to customize based on your calorie goals. I try to save 700 or more calories for dinner, so I usually keep the guacamole and cheese, but you could chose to leave those off if need be.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Soft tacos with CORN tortillas. Often they'll give two for each taco. Eat one. A corn tortilla is around 60-80 calories.