Running my First Half

Options
I have a large FL, but rarely post in the forums..... I am running my first half next Sunday.. I was going to wait until July or August to do one but fate intervened... I defiintiely wanted to do one before my 50th birthday

A friend from my running group who has done 6-7 halfs and a couple fulls has graciously volunteered to pace with me and sacrifice his race time to see me fulfill this dream and get my medal

I run pretty fast 5k's but am more trained for speed than distance.. Fastest 5k is about 25 min..........
I have done one 10k race in 55 min or so
I have run 7-11 miles a few times but never 13

Most times our running group runs a 5k and the longer runners get there first and run 5-7 miles beforehand.. so there is a little break between longer runners and when the whole group goes off

If I can just do first few miles slowly and not speed out of blocks , with his help Lord willing I will be ok

My FL has heard all this but wanted to get some tips from the general masses

Any help would be appreciated.... I am scared to death and part of me wants to bail into the relay , but I know id regret it

My point is ITS NEVER TOO LATE TO START !! .. DREAM BIG.. whether it be running or lifting or whatever.. try to eliminate those CANT's from your thoughts

Replies

• _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, just encouragement! You've totally got this! Thanks for being such an inspiration to all your friends here. :D

GO CHARLES!!! WOOT WOOT!!!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    It's completely normal to be scared before a race that's a new distance. There's a lot of questions in your mind because you've never actually run 13 miles...will I actually make it? How much is it going to suck? How tired are my legs going to be? What if the hills are worse than I'm expecting?

It's good that your friend will be pacing you. You might think he's starting out a little too slow, but stick with him and let him pace you. Remember that he's experienced at these distances, and he knows how much you need left in the tank for the last couple miles.

Race day is always exciting, and the adrenaline will help carry you the distance. I had been training for a 13:49 pace for my first half. I ran a 13:07. At my second half just a few weeks later, I ran a 12:05 pace. That adrenaline really helps! :laugh:
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    So proud of you Charlie!! You're going to do great! Very exciting!