Work and Eating! Help!!!!

Options
Hey guys, I'm very new here; and I have a few questions for you all. I just started a new job at Tractor Supply and I am constantly moving around and lifting heavy objects for about 7-11 hours a day including lifting 50lb bags of feed and large amounts of hay. I estimate I am burning at least 3000 calories a day or more. I have lost about 8+ pounds so far in two weeks. I know I'm losing too fast, and I find it difficult to eat enough because of my lifestyle and income. I only drink water/green tea, and I don't like to eat out unless it's a special occasion, so I have not been eating at work. Some days I'm not able to eat at all. Any tips on what I can do to increase my caloric intake on a terrible salary and a poorly stocked kitchen?

Replies

• Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Peanut butter, ice cream, cook things with a little extra butter or oil. Canned soup is good & cheap. Dried fruits or raisins, trail mix etc.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You can buy nuts or trail mix in bulk and portion it into smaller bags to carry with you. Buy a bottle of olive oil and use it to cook your meals. Get rid of anything lower calorie that you're eating and replace it with the full-calorie version (whole eggs, full fat milk, full calorie dressings and sauces, etc.)
  • orangeyellowkayak
    orangeyellowkayak Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you are not packing a lunch to take to work. You are not losing too fast it is always fast at 1st and it will slow down. I have had a lower income for decades. Make soups and stews. They go a long way. I make a big pot of something then eat on it for a few days then make a pot of something else. I raised 3 kids on a lower income and it really isn't that hard. If you are working hard all day you have to eat. Just pack yourself something to eat.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat during the day and with as much of a workout as you are getting, heavy on the protein. If cash flow is a problem, then you will just need to watch sales like crazy. I assume that you have pockets and access to a locker, but not necessarily a fridge?

Find a good protein bar that also has fiber in it. Always have one in your pocket. Bring in some dried fruit. A piece or two of fresh fruit. Carrot sticks (buy carrots and peel and slice yourself, don't waste money on baby carrots). Hard boil some eggs.

If you can buy a little softsided bag and a freezer pack, you could make little chicken salad or tuna salad pita pockets. A yogurt cup. Cucumber slices. Sharp cheddar and apple slices.

If you have a friend with a Costco or Sam's Club membership you might save by buying in bulk, especially if you can split certain items. (For example they have 12 packs of Chobani greek yogurt.)

With your hit or miss of eating, I would definitely be taking a multivitamin every day!

You're best bet for money is to buy raw ingredients and make your own whenever possible. That might mean instead of buying frozen pre-cooked and sliced chicken strips, you buy raw chicken breast and cook and chop it yourself.

Look into crock pot recipes. You could make a simple stew and freeze half in single serving containers and eat the other half for lunch for several days.
  • morningdoobie
    Options
    Thanks for all the quick responses. To answer your question OrangeYellow, the reason I have not been able to pack lunches is because I am literally living paycheck to paycheck in the worst way. I sometimes have to donate plasma just to pay for gas, rent, etc. But at the moment, as a college student, my paychecks are practically spent before they come because I am not able to get enough hours, and honestly, I don't think I could pick up a second job and still go to school. But I do like the idea of fixing a huge pot of soup, or buying bulk nuts. Once again, thanks for all the replies.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If money is that tight, you need to see if you qualify for SNAP.
  • morningdoobie
    Options
    I wish I did! But, I don't because my household income. It's all good though, maybe I will be able to fit into my middle school clothes again by the end of next month. haha