Anyone with IBS?

Options
I recently found out that I may be suffering from IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and that would indeed explain why I always feel bloated after a meal, small or big.

Now I wonder if there's anyone else who suffers from this as well? If so, do you succeed with your weightloss although you've struggling with bloating etc? Do you do anything to decrease the symptoms?

Please share, since I'm new to this whoe IBSthing!

Replies

• virlomix
    virlomix Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ~ whoops, double post
  • virlomix
    virlomix Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stay in contact and continue to follow up with your doctor.

I have celiac disease, which causes IBS like symptoms if I eat certain foods. Good luck! :)
  • Hello! I've also got IBS, so I know how you're feeling. I have succeeded with weight loss, even with IBS. IBS is triggered by what you eat, stress, hormones, etc. I recommend following a food map diet, where you take away certain food groups from your diet (soy, dairy, gluten, nuts, etc) for about a month, and then re-introduce one at a time. If one of them makes you bloated/have symptoms, then you should try to avoid ever consuming that food. I also recommend avoiding stressful situations, as that can help reduce the symptoms. Best of luck to you, and I hope you feel better soon!
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have IBS. I tend to forget about it. Then it flares up, I start thinking I have cancer, go thru all the tests, and get re-diagnosed with IBS. lol

Anyhoo.. I do have a terrible time losing weight. I eat an average of 800-1000 calories per day LESS than what I burn. Am I losing 2 pounds a week? Nope! Maybe 2 pounds a month.

They tell you to eat more fiber. My body doesn't like fiber. I do eat it, but I don't go out of my way to include it since it plugs me up really bad. But I think IBS is such a thing that varies with everybody. Maybe your body will respond well to fiber? You will know better than any doctor. That's probably the important thing is to just listen to your body and see what it tells you.

It might be helpful to do exclusionary diets and see how certain things (carbs, gluten, fiber, caffeine, nitrates, added sugars, processed foods) affect you. I have far less gastro problems when I eat clean. I've recently stopped (for the most part) with the added sugars - no more coffee, no more mounds of brown sugar in my oatmeal. I'm also eating/drinking chia seeds all day long. Those two things have done A LOT to help my gut, and my belly is even flatter.

Good luck!
  • healthyme_2013
    Options
    I have had it for over 20 years. It's been a lot of trial and error for me. For a couple of years I was so sick that I was unable to work. (Thank goodness for my husband). Keep a diary of your foods and how your body reacts. You can definitely still lose weight and for me personally, losing some weight helped me with my IBS. Also increasing fibre (I was a none believer at first) will help with the symptoms. I added Metamucil into my diet, I tried the mix but quickly went to the pills. I don't use it too often now, only when I have flare ups. Water, water and more water.
    My main trigger is red meat, I can have ground beef but give me a steak or roast and it's a definite couple of days of suffering.
    It truly is a lot of experimenting, keep notes of what causes you issues. Later on once you figure out some of your triggers, you can reintroduce the foods slowly. Some foods will never agree with you again.

Good luck!! Be patient with yourself, it's tough but you can figure it out. (as much as it can be figured out, sometimes there just isn't any rhyme or reason)
  • Andy7319
    Andy7319 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was also diagnosed with IBS a couple of years ago. It started out really bad having terrible intestinal cramps and bloating causing 12 hours of continuous and quite severe pain every other day. The doctors put a camera down my throat to look in my stomach, there was a little soreness in one area but they said there was no other issues there. They then gave me a barium enema and xray'd my intestines, again nothing unusual there either. But after I had that enema i had very few attacks after, maybe 1 or 2 a month and now maybe 1 or 2 a year. I do get bloating now and then but I think thats where i used to each too much too fast.

I did also change my diet and ate smaller portions of food and a little more healthier, cut out a lot of coffee also as apparently there is a chemical in coffee that can trigger stomach issues. I used to take tablets for a few months called omprezole to regulate the acid generation in the stomach to stop bloating, i don't need these anymore.

I now eat a lot more healthier and exercise a lot more. I would start looking at what your eating and start trying to cut things out you think maybe triggering it.
  • gkalmbach
    gkalmbach Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from IBS for nearly 20 years.. It wasn't until this year that I started getting healthy. I've started eating clean foods, no more processed foods. Since this change I've not had 1 issue. It's only been a couple months but I used to have bowel issues multiple times per day.. so that's quite a lot.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't have it so much anymore, but I used to have it really horribly. I 100% believe that issues like that can be largely mitigated through diet. Cut out the processed foods, sugar, etc., and I'd be willing to bet things get better. :)
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm on a strict diet for my IBS. I was in agony for a long time. I was desperate for help. I was already eating healthy but it turns out a lot of those healthy foods caused me pain.

I really recommend you looking into FODMAPS or the Specific Carb Diet. I do a mash up of both and it works for me.

IBS is hell. I hope you can manage with diet like I am. I still get flareups randomly but they are much more rare than they were and MUCH more mild.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I have suffered (truly suffered!) with the awful IBS symptoms for 8 years. Although, it hasn't even been a year since I finally figured out what was causing it. I kept internet and library searching and trying to diagnose myself. I finally sought a doctor 10 months ago and was given the answer. IBS with constipation. (Terrible constipation)
    I was just starting on medication and diet changes when I got pregnant. Both medications were not safe during pregnancy, so I stopped taking those.
    Pregnancy has really really complicated the problem. Mostly because constipation is a problem during pregnancy anyways all on its own, partially because while I am pregnant a lot of the treatment options are out.
    Currently all I can do is to avoid my trigger foods and to walk as much as possible.
  • WittLace
    WittLace Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have IBS. I tend to forget about it. Then it flares up, I start thinking I have cancer, go thru all the tests, and get re-diagnosed with IBS. lol

This is me 100%

I have it but have figured out my triggers... I cut out coffee, dairy, processed sugars and fatty foods. I also drink and Advocare (no I dont sell it, I just like it) fiber drink every morning. If I eat off track, I feel it.
  • lipinskij
    lipinskij Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Snuffs,

Sorry to hear you're struggling with IBS. I was diagnosed in 2009 with IBS. My advice is to start keeping a journal and track what bothers you and what doesn't bother you. Myfitnesspal.com is a great start. Try to keep notes on your daily intake and you will eventually find out that some foods just don't agree with you and those are the ones you probably need to avoid. Changing your diet can be difficult and IBS will undoubtedly make it more so. Look at it as an opportunity to learn more about what your body wants and needs to be receiving. We all are diffferent and specific diet advice from others may not work for you individually. Good luck!

Jimmy
  • superdeformedchibi
    Options
    I have similar issues. I had my gallbladder removed two years ago and every since then it's been kind of rocky with the digestive issues. I thought I was handling it well and kept just thinking it would go away, but then it got worse and I had to go the doctor.

I'm very slowly coming to understand what triggers me and what doesn't by eliminating certain foods groups for awhile and then adding them back in.

I've been doing very well on fruits (not citrus), sweet potatoes, vegetables (not broccoli)lean chicken breast, brown rice, hot rice cereal, oatmeal, while I try to add things in once in awhile to see how it goes. It's been difficult to get my daily intake of calories; I end up eating something weird at the end of the day just make the goal (like half an avocado or another cup of grapes), but the pain and bloating have decreased dramatically.
  • ale62406
    ale62406 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've had IBS for about 25 years, and this is the first time in my life I've felt good and been able to lose some weight. I'm exercising more and trying to stretch, especially my core muscles. I also take Florastor, a probiotic. This has been amazing for me. I also take Lexapro routinely which helps with the anxiety triggers. My doctor has prescribed me Librax and Xanax to take when I know I'm going to be in a trigger-happy situation, but I find I don't take either one too often. If you can find a way to keep IBS at bay without meds, please try.

As far as limiting foods, I know I can't handle a lot of dairy like straight milk, cream, or ice cream, however cheese and yogurt seem to be fine. The richer the foods, the more symptoms I have. Since I've been working to lose weight and get healthy, I've limited my processed foods and increased my fiber. It is working and my IBS symptoms seem to be in check. I also eat throughout the day which prevents me from gorging myself at one sitting. I have always found that if I don't fill up my stomach, my IBS symptoms are better.

Good luck!
  • happyjack1976
    happyjack1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have it as well. Like many other people have suggested, keeping a diary of food will help to find your trigger(s). Mine are artificial sweeteners, caffeine (sometimes) and greasy foods.