C25k - Beginner

Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft4. Basic and good enough for me.

I really wouldn't worry too much about HR at the moment, just focus on getting a consistent run going for the duration. Once you've got that then you'll be in a better place to think about HR and how it's moving around.

I've been doing a lot of hilly trails recently and on Monday night flew through a 10K and knocked ten minutes off what I'd done on Saturday on the hills.
  • queenjustine03
    queenjustine03 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just just just got home from Week 1, Day 3 and (hypothetically) ran to my computer to share:

I took the advice and slowed my pace down a lot. A slow jog (which is probably what it was supposed to be, but didn't realize how fast I was going). BUT, even on my hilly hilly road, I RAN ALL THE INTERVALS! It was tough, but I did it! I may repeat one or two more days of Week 1 before moving onto Week 2, just to make sure I don't push myself too hard and hurt myself. I am really motivated to actually complete this program.
    I've always wanted to be excited about running because it's one of those things you can do WHEREVER you go. No equipment really, just a pair of running shoes and you can get a great work out (which is currently what I'm stuck with at home for the summer anyways!) So I figured I may as well start now!

Thank you all for the advice, I'm so pumped right now that I was able to complete it, despite the hilly disadvantage!... but in the end I'm sure it will be a great advantage!
    Thank you for all the motivation as well!
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I just just just got home from Week 1, Day 3 and (hypothetically) ran to my computer to share:

I took the advice and slowed my pace down a lot. A slow jog (which is probably what it was supposed to be, but didn't realize how fast I was going). BUT, even on my hilly hilly road, I RAN ALL THE INTERVALS! It was tough, but I did it! I may repeat one or two more days of Week 1 before moving onto Week 2, just to make sure I don't push myself too hard and hurt myself. I am really motivated to actually complete this program.
    I've always wanted to be excited about running because it's one of those things you can do WHEREVER you go. No equipment really, just a pair of running shoes and you can get a great work out (which is currently what I'm stuck with at home for the summer anyways!) So I figured I may as well start now!

Thank you all for the advice, I'm so pumped right now that I was able to complete it, despite the hilly disadvantage!... but in the end I'm sure it will be a great advantage!
    Thank you for all the motivation as well!

Woot, keep it up! And coming from someone who had to learn in a hilly area, it's quickly turns into an advantage!
  • huntermaz
    huntermaz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!
  • R_Woodruff
    R_Woodruff Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 4th week of c25k, tomorrow will be my 2nd day. Yesterday was brutal, let me tell you! I had to go as slow as possible because my HRM kept yelling at me that my heart rate was too high, so I listened and it made it so much better. Even if you're going slow you're still making progress. At the end of my run I like to gather what energy I have left and sprint my last minute. I was really surprised that with being dog tired and completely worn down I could still do it (I have never been much of a runner and that is one HUGE accomplishment). I also run down my road which has a few hills and then turns into level ground (I'm from Oklahoma, you can't have one or the other lol) and I can say that I would much rather run outside. Treadmills are by far easier, but I feel like I see real results outside running in the elements. Good luck!
  • philschick
    philschick Posts: 22
    Options
    I am also a beginner at the C25K.

Any apps better then others?

I am not really looking at counting calories, just time, distance, etc.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'd repeat week 1 until you don't have a problem. And like everyone else said - slow down! :)

A poster above me asked about other apps that could be helpful. There is a Zombies! Run! C25K training program that I love. When you graduate from that, there is a Zombies! Run! app that is just for steady state running. It's entertaining to run from zombies (listening to my own music when the zombies aren't about to eat my face, of course).
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    An app for distance ... you can try runkeeper. It also does time and pace.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Any apps better then others?

Five main options really; Runkeeper, Endomondo, Strava, Runtastic and MapMyFitness

Personally I prefer Endomondo as the amount of analysis information is significant, which becomes more important as you start onto longer distances. The subscription version is also comprehensive and has a training plan option.

Runkeeper is solid and reliable, the free version is pretty comprehensive, personally I don't see that the premium version goves a huge amount more. Training plans are included.

Runtastic I found to be a battery hog and the free version is next to useless, it forces you into a fairly expensive premium model with a lot of pay options. PErsonally I'd recommend against this one unless you have a circle of friends who already use it.

MapMyFitness is a suite of apps; MapMyRun, MapMyWalk, MapMyRide etc, so lots of self contained silos of information. from that perspective it's a lot less usable than the others. I also have had issues with synching it from iPhone.

Strava is very popular amongst serious runners and cyclists. Personally I haven't used it but it comes well recommended by those whose opinions I'd trust.

There are some dedicated C25K apps as well but I'd recommend just going sttraight to a grown up app that'll be useful to you after you've finished the programme.

I used a podcast alongside Runkeeper, more recently I've been using Endomondo alongside Runkeeper as I'm doing a 10K speed improvement programme.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I really love the Zombies, Run! C25K app. Just did Week 6, Day 2 yesterday. As a highly *unmotivated* runner, this app has been the only thing to get me running on a consistent basis.

I like that there's a story that you're a part of - a reason that you're doing this training - that advances each time you do the next workout. The overarching plot line develops, you meet new characters, learn more about other characters, get sent on missions, and get chased by zombies!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I just just just got home from Week 1, Day 3 and...I RAN ALL THE INTERVALS!

Congratulations! Hills are tough, but they'll make you a stronger runner.