Help! I'm getting discourage ...

I've been working out for a month now. I have been doing Hip Hop Abs at least 5 days a week sometimes 6 days and anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour. I took the advice of myfitness pal and been on a strict 1200 calorie diet. I've lost almost 4 lbs the first 2 weeks but nothing since, not even in inches. I feel like I should be losing more with the low calorie and exercise. What am I doing wrong? Is my calorie intake too low?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    Four weeks is still early. And you've lost 4lbs in a month; that's pretty great.
    If you feel good on what you're doing, and you continue to make progress in the following weeks, great. If not, reassess at that point.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    You may not be eating enough. As counter-intuitive as that sounds, it's true. I'm only 5'3" and I still need to eat more than 1200 calories to even maintain a deficit and lose weight. You shouldn't really eat less than your TDEE (total calories burned on an average day including your normal activities) minus 10-15%.

My goal is 1430 and I'm not losing at the moment because I keep going over my goal. It's graduation, lots of celebrations after lots of stress, and I've given myself permission to take a break from trying to lose as long as I keep up my workouts.

First, check to see that you are eating enough. Undereating will derail weightloss.

Second, how are you measuring your portions? Are you using a scale? Many issues come from underestimating the amount we eat. A food scale is a very inexpensive way to know whether you are eating 100 extra calories of salad dressing every meal. You can get a good one for less than $20.

Third, are you working out? And if so, are you logging those workouts in MFP? MFP tends to overestimate calories burned in workouts, so if you're eating those calories back, you may be led to overeat accordingly. If you have the money to spare, invest in a heartrate monitor and use it instead of MFP's calorie burn estimates.
  • missiontofitness
    You may not be eating enough. As counter-intuitive as that sounds, it's true. I'm only 5'3" and I still need to eat more than 1200 calories to even maintain a deficit and lose weight. You shouldn't really eat less than your TDEE (total calories burned on an average day including your normal activities) minus 10-15%.

My goal is 1430 and I'm not losing at the moment because I keep going over my goal. It's graduation, lots of celebrations after lots of stress, and I've given myself permission to take a break from trying to lose as long as I keep up my workouts.

First, check to see that you are eating enough. Undereating will derail weightloss.

Second, how are you measuring your portions? Are you using a scale? Many issues come from underestimating the amount we eat. A food scale is a very inexpensive way to know whether you are eating 100 extra calories of salad dressing every meal. You can get a good one for less than $20.

Third, are you working out? And if so, are you logging those workouts in MFP? MFP tends to overestimate calories burned in workouts, so if you're eating those calories back, you may be led to overeat accordingly. If you have the money to spare, invest in a heartrate monitor and use it instead of MFP's calorie burn estimates.

^^ Yep yep yep.
    I sometimes log my exercises with less time to compensate for this.
    Ex: until I get a HRM, I'll be logging a Zumba workout as 30min instead of 60min, since I know I probably didn't burn the 400+ calories it's recommending.
  • beautifulrwe
    beautifulrwe Posts: 10 Member
    I do use a scale but usually for my meats or vegetables. How do you use a scale for meals that consist of multiple items for instance homemade chili. I was actually looking in to getting a heart rate monitor/calorie counter any recommendations of a good brand? I do exercise 5-6 days a week. A coworker of mines who is a gym rat told me I'm not eating enough so I'm a bit confused right now.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    I do use a scale but usually for my meats or vegetables. How do you use a scale for meals that consist of multiple items for instance homemade chili. I was actually looking in to getting a heart rate monitor/calorie counter any recommendations of a good brand? I do exercise 5-6 days a week. A coworker of mines who is a gym rat told me I'm not eating enough so I'm a bit confused right now.

Polar is a good brand in heart rate monitors. They tend to be the gold standard.

I have an old Polar, but I also have a Zephyr which connects to my smartphone to a bunch of different apps.

I've tried the activity trackers, and I'll tell you that the technology is not up to par yet. They're all terribly inaccurate and have major flaws. For example, the Polar Loop tells you when you've been still too long so that you'll get up and move. But it tells you by flashing it across the little screen for about 2 seconds, so if you're not looking directly at the armband then you miss it. Most of them will ignore steps taken while pushing a buggy around the grocery store, or carrying something which requires that your hands be kept still and steady. Only a few of them work with MFP, like Fitbit (the best Fitbit was recalled and isn't for sale any more) or BodyMedia (which requires a monthly subscription)

If you don't have a newer phone, you won't be able to sync the fitness tracker with your phone. There are more coming out in the next year that might resolve some of these problems. The Amiigo looks promising. I would recommend waiting.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    MFP typically recommends 1200 if you set your weekly goal to 2lbs a week and sedentary.

With 40lbs to lose 1lb a week is a good rate.

As well any new exercise will cause water/glycogen stores and that can take 4-6 weeks to go away. HRM are only good for steady state cardio so not sure it would be good for hip hop abs...and since MFP can over esitmate the suggestion is to eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Be patient, check your weight loss goal and keep doing what you are doing...

Remember your goal should be to eat as much as possible and still lose a reasonable amount of weight...not least amount you can handle...
  • Ho do you use a scale for meals that consist of multiple items for instance homemade chili.

Myfitpal has a good recipe builder. Use it like your food diary by adding ingredients that made up the chilli and it will calculate cals per serving.

As far as weight is concerned....that's more difficult. Though I don't think it would be hard to estimate an accurate total. Using a pound of lean meat, two cans of beans, some vegetables, and spices...that would be enough to feed 4 to 6 people and be relatively low on calories. (I'm thinking in terms of serving sizes.)

Calorie counting is just a semi rough guide estimate.
  • craig29973
    craig29973 Posts: 2
    Very useful advice, I use walk meter but the results are varied, sometimes i am stuck fast, sometimes I lose a few lbs quite quickly.
    I may definately invest in a heartrate monitor, i take it these also log time, do they also work out the calories burned? :happy:
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member

Comments like this just absolutely blow my mind.

Stop spouting ridiculousness and do some research. If she isn't losing at 1200, she won't lose if she eats more. The problem is she is consuming much more than 1200 (which she admitted by saying she doesn't weigh everything) So now you tell her TO EAT MORE!? Get off this site.
  • missiontofitness

Stop spouting ridiculousness and do some research. If she isn't losing at 1200, she won't lose if she eats more. The problem is she is consuming much more than 1200 (which she admitted by saying she doesn't weigh everything) So now you tell her TO EAT MORE!? Get off this site.

I upped my calories and I still lost weight.
    It's about creating a deficit. You can create a deficit at 1,500, or 5,000. Calm down.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member

It's about creating a deficit. You can create a deficit at 1,500, or 5,000. Calm down.

dmen is 100% right. Google "Starvation mode myth", besides 95% of the time when people say their not losing it's because they are eating much more than they realize, because they are not measuring and weighing everything. It's not helpful to people who are clearly overeating to suggest they eat more.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member

Without a doubt. I encourage to eat as much as you can while still at a deficit. But the OP in particular is obviously NOT at a deficit right now because she is not losing. Therefore it is extremely irresponsible to suggest she increase her caloric intake.
  • beautifulrwe
    Great info, thanks!
  • beautifulrwe

Polar is a good brand in heart rate monitors. They tend to be the gold standard.

I have an old Polar, but I also have a Zephyr which connects to my smartphone to a bunch of different apps.

I've tried the activity trackers, and I'll tell you that the technology is not up to par yet. They're all terribly inaccurate and have major flaws. For example, the Polar Loop tells you when you've been still too long so that you'll get up and move. But it tells you by flashing it across the little screen for about 2 seconds, so if you're not looking directly at the armband then you miss it. Most of them will ignore steps taken while pushing a buggy around the grocery store, or carrying something which requires that your hands be kept still and steady. Only a few of them work with MFP, like Fitbit (the best Fitbit was recalled and isn't for sale any more) or BodyMedia (which requires a monthly subscription)

If you don't have a newer phone, you won't be able to sync the fitness tracker with your phone. There are more coming out in the next year that might resolve some of these problems. The Amiigo looks promising. I would recommend waiting.

Thanks I will look at the Polar brand on Amazon
  • beautifulrwe

Why do I have to weigh every single thing. The things I don't weigh are things that have nutritional labels so I go off of that.
  • beautifulrwe
    Great info, thanks!

Disregard this quote I was trying to reply to someone post. Still figuring how this forum works :ohwell:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    I've been working out for a month now. I have been doing Hip Hop Abs at least 5 days a week sometimes 6 days and anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour. I took the advice of myfitness pal and been on a strict 1200 calorie diet. I've lost almost 4 lbs the first 2 weeks but nothing since, not even in inches. I feel like I should be losing more with the low calorie and exercise. What am I doing wrong? Is my calorie intake too low?

Ding ding ding ding ding!

Find your TDEE, and eat 10-20% fewer calories than that.
  • beautifulrwe
    Great discussion but now I'm even more confused since some are suggesting I'm eating more then 1200 calories. I did go on Fat2Fit and gathered this info:

BMR is 1524 calories.
    TDEE Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2093

With that info I shouldn't be eating less then 1524 and no more then 2000, right?
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member

Why do I have to weigh every single thing. The things I don't weigh are things that have nutritional labels so I go off of that.

Peanut butter is a good example. The serving size is 2 tbls / 32 grams. If you weigh what you put as 2 tbls, it probably will not be 32 grams, and therefore a calorie discrepancy. Does that make sense? It's better to measure solid foods in grams or ounces, not in table spoons, tea spoons, or cups.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Great discussion but now I'm even more confused since some are suggesting I'm eating more then 1200 calories. I did go on Fat2Fit and gathered this info:

BMR is 1524 calories.
    TDEE Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2093

With that info I shouldn't be eating less then 1524 and no more then 2000, right?

Correct. You need 1524 to live if you were in a coma. You need 2093 to maintain your current weight at your supplied activity level. Try eating at 1600 or 1650.
    Just remember that if you use the TDEE method, exercise is already calculated and you would NOT eat back those calories.