Tired Old Lady

Options
I am 80 years old and must/need to lose weight in order to live the rest of my life healthier. I am limited in my physical abilities partially because of excess weight (270 lbs.) - I can only exercise minimally because of back and leg weaknesses but do move this old body with caution, walking with a cane. Am undergoing pt and hope my mobility improves. I no longer have the "vanity" motivation; not looking for compliments; just want to be healthy. I have a wonderful supportive family and that helps but I lack a young person's motivation. I have no one to impress but myself (and my doctor) at this stage in my life but I really want to succeed to feel better. Thanks for any help/motivation/tips you can give.

Replies

• rucaenel
    rucaenel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good for you; jumping in and trying this to get yourself going! I hope you can live a healthier life each day so you can reach your goals!
  • deetee6718
    deetee6718 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Wow, you just put it all in perspective for me. Unfortunately I still have the vanity motivation but at the end of the day it all comes down to health and longevity. Even though you are limited physically, any form of movement will work together with eating healthy. The healthy eating, drinking water and setting small goals will help improve your spirits and in turn will motivate you that at this point in your life you are not giving up and working to improve. Good for you, all the best!
  • OutlawQueen
    OutlawQueen Posts: 13
    Options
    GO AHEAD WITH YOUR BAD SELF!

Thank YOU for the reminder.. I've been in a slump need to jump back up.

At the end of each day, give yourself a smiley sticker SOMEWHERE for doing something good for YOU :)

I play volleyball with an 84 year old woman who had 11 children............. smazing! And don't give up on the vanity, we all need a little!
  • medaud10
    medaud10 Posts: 20
    Options
    Deetee6718 about sums it up just right! You also might consider joinging a gym. The machines will help you gain muscle strength and the more muscle you gain the more you will lose. Just one healthy choice at a time!!
  • thirteeninches
    thirteeninches Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi! My mother is 79, with osteoarthritis and is currently in the hospital primarily because she stopped moving around. It hurt too much, she said. But I warned her-if you don't use it you lose it. It was touch and go, what with a blood infection, but she's on the road to recovery and she is determined to move. She's looking great and when she gets out of rehab, she will be hell on wheels. I can tell she is better because she's started ordering everybody around again!

So, don't do what she did! Move! Move your arms. Do (gentle) armchair aerobics while you watch tv. Don't ask family to get you something that is in the room.. Get up and get it yourself! You can do this, because you want it, yes? I know you do.

And do your homework, too :) Your pt will give you home exercises. No excuses! I know you can do it, because it's what you want.

My mother has a terrible sweet tooth. She loves donuts and junkies and chocolate. Well, I tell her, nope and nope and nope. If you have a sweet tooth, too, it's nope and nope and nope! :wink: Reward yourself with other stuff, like a paid pedicure or a lunch with friends, or a new blouse. That junkfood makes you feel good for a little bit, but it doesn't last. I bet you already know that. :)

I wish you all the luck in the world. I'm sure it seems impossible and hard and I know it hurts, but I bet you can do it. Like my mom, if you want it, you will. You've got it in you to make this happen. :smile:

Happy day!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Baby steps! Set small goals that are attainable. (Today I will walk 10 steps further than yesterday for example.)

Start tracking everything you eat. You might be surprised at how much you have actually been eating. You will find things that will be easy to cut down on or cut out of your diet. (I still eat pretty much whatever I want, just in smaller portions.)

You will be surprised how much your energy will increase the more you move! There are tons of things you can do in the chair, without walking too much (Sit and Be Fit). If you have access to a swimming pool, that might be good for you to try too.

My community has a senior fitness center (yes I'm a member!) geared for older folks with staff who will help with what can and can't be done based on physical limitations. Your PT can probably help with that if you don't have a gym to use.

Good luck- you can do this!!!
  • Mariang165
    Mariang165 Posts: 2,127 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your post and reaching out! You don't have to be a fitness guru to lose weight and even a small increase in your daily movement in good for you. Your pt is full of info, now you have to do your light movements regularly! I agree with previous posters small steps are really positive and important. I joined the over 60 group and they are also a very supportive group, so you may enjoy reading some of their posts, though I have found there are so many encouraging MFP members regardless of age or fitness level! For me the daily diary logging in so helpful as it keeps you on track and really opens your eyes to how MUCH you are really eating. Be honest with yourself and soon it will be fun to discover how much more food you can eat in place of that one sweet muffin or cookie. You are very lucky to have a supportive family and you sound very special, 80 yrs young and still ready to try new things, way to go. If you log on regularly then feel free to send me a friend request as my profile is open. I wish you great luck!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Glad to see you are here and that is wonderful. Baby steps. You will get there, you'll see!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You have a fantastic perspective, and the folks on this site are great motivators!! Best of luck to you!!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight!

Start logging your food accurately as possible. When I started logging and really saw the amount I was consuming, it was an eye opener, and gave me places that I could trim back. A digital food scale was a lifesaver, this is where I really started learning portion sizes. Best $20 I've ever spent!

You don't have to do tons of exercise. When I started I couldn't do any, getting out of my chair was a workout, but I was able to slowly build on that. I always strive to be better than I was yesterday.

You can do this glad you've taken the first step!! Good Luck to you!!!
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You have been given some great advice already
    I want to applaud you for not giving up
    lots of people of all ages do
    The biggest key to weight loss starts in the kitchen
    log and weigh and measure your food
    eat real portions
    move the way your PT tells you to
    like the other poster said set yourself some baby steps move 10 steps more tomorrow than you did today

As the weight comes off you will find it easier to move
    and it won't hurt so much

You can do it !!
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Another idea is to check into a local pool and see if they have any exercise classes for people with limited mobility
    even if you don't swim these classes take place in the shallow end of the pool and can be great for when joints hurt
    if they do not have classes go there during the open swim times and walk or bounce in the water

if you can swim all the better

remember you are not trying to beat anyone else the only one you are competing with is yourself

do a little more today than you did yesterday and keep at it

talk to a nutritionist at your doctors office find out what you should be eating
    and how much

friend me if you like
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Hello Punky,

Congratulations on making the commitment to improve your health. That's a huge step.

I can't improve much on what others have posted-great advice here.

You don't have to workout/exercise to lose weight. It's all about creating a calorie deficit which you create by eating less. You do however have to exercise for fitness and to maintain muscle and bone strength. Walking is a great exercise-it's a twofer. It improves your cardiovascular health while creating bone density and that will keep you on your feet and make you less dependent on the cane. And walking is just about the safest exercise there is and it's free. Hard to go wrong there. Your PT will be able to help you find a safe, effective workout for you.

Absolutely take it one day at a time, one meal at time. There's a recipe board under the community tab and lot's of other boards that offer support and motivation. There are all kinds of groups on the board that you can join for support for a particular topic you are interested in. Some are based on age or sport or whatever. Find one that will motivate you and dig in.

You can do this.

Send me a friend request if you'd like. I'm in my late 50's and close to my goal. I'm a serial dieter-:laugh: Bet I've lost over a 1000 pounds in the course of my life. But MFP is working for me. The Food Diary is so easy to use and the support I get from my MFP Pal's is phenomenal.

Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • TexasGal1
    TexasGal1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Punky,
    Yay you! for starting your journey! All the posters above have great info for you. I won't reiterate any of their info.

I'm so happy for you! You made my heart smile this morning! :smile:

I'm sending you a friend request. I'd love to be a part of your support team for your journey.