Recent Struggles - How to Change Your Attitude

Options

Replies

• ScottG_9905
    ScottG_9905 Posts: 46
    Options
    Good Morning Team!

The weekend is upon us and this is really where the brick hits the road! Our schedules are about to be thrown off by the weekend so that can lead to impulse eating and that is something that we do not want to do. So stand your ground this weekend team! Prepare yourself and do not let all your hard work through out this week be thrown away because of one bad day during the weekend!

Here are some things that have helped me in the past and still do to this day.

- If you are going out with friends to eat and have drinks. Eat a small healthy meal prior to going that way you can still enjoy what is being served but you will not be as hungry and you will keep things in moderation

- If you find yourself in a situation where you are about to cave GET OUT! Leave and go for a short walk just to clear your head. Just a quick 5 minute walk around the block can help you get your mind right. This works great for birthday parties and pretty much any kind of party! When you get back drink a large glass of water..

- BYOF if you are heading to a BBQ this weekend ask your host if it is ok if you brink your own food to grill? Normally they will say sure bring what you need! This way you get to enjoy the BBQ but on your terms..

- Alcohol: It is best to stay away from alcohol while trying to lose weight. But I understand if you want to have a drink then make sure you keep your alcohol intake to a minimum. Remember moderation is key! Also a good alternative is be the designated driver for your group. You can still have fun and save lives in the process!

- Plan.. Plan.. Plan.. Don't go into your weekend without some sort of plan. Keep yourself busy and prepared!

This weekend my wife and Daughter are heading to Kansas for a soccer tournament. So me and my son are going to be home alone again. This usually ends up with me over doing it with food but this weekend I am not going to do that. So I am making a plan for me and him to follow so we are busy and we have the food we need to keep me on track!

Chad: It is a true mental marathon with trying to stay healthy. We have to muster up the courage to stick with things that make us uncomfortable for a sustained period of time. That is really hard to do when we first start off. I find it easier to stay on track when I put my goals down on paper so they are something physical I can look at. We have two choices to make and it all depends on that choice that determines our success or failure.

Teeladog: Go make your class sweat! Glad to hear the weather is lifting so you can enjoy the sun! I love hearing that you are already planning on what to do for dinner. You know you are going to a place that can easily give you over 1000 calories in one sitting so way to start planning!

NO EXCUSES TEAM! WE NEED TO STAY ON TRACK THIS WEEKEND!
  • gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    add me please. I have never exercised and no diet for years....now metabolism (and lack of knowledge of what I am doing) really have me down. I started in Jan. walking 1/2 mile and needed a chair and fan (thought I was going to die) but I have kept with it! slowly I have built up to 4 miles a day and my endurance is much improved! I am not losing but I figure I am losing fat/gaining muscle...right...? you sound like you are having a super hard time and I understand that (I am a nurse and I had a broken leg/ankle that the doctors said that I would never walk again.....well, I am pretty suborn and I proved them wrong! I want to eat healthy and get my body healthy. you sound like you really had all of this down and going. I would love to travel this journey with friends that support and help keep each other motivated and support when life...happens.:drinker:
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    gieshagirl: welcome to the team! Many of us fall into that same category as what you just posted! No exercise and no diet for years and now things have caught up with us! I was the exact same way until about 3+ years ago when my health really started to fail. I took aggressive action and lost a lot of weight and put myself an a new way of living. Until unfortunately my accident over several months I allowed old habits to creep in and the weight started to come back. So I re-committed and I am going to find a way to make it work again until I can start truly working out. I love that you were stubborn and didn't listen to people when they gave you the word YOU WON'T or CAN'T! Glad you will be joining us and I look forward to seeing you succeed! :smile:

-Scott
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos and am on dessicated prescription meds, which work a lot better for me, the synthetic stuff just doesn't cut it.

I do T-Tapp, Pilates, and lifting weights, and I have to say it is working for me so far, I still do some cardio, but not as much anymore as I did to get out of obese range.

I also did a radical diet to get out of obese range, but now I am all about the fitness as I want to keep my muscle and I could not see doing that for longer than a few months.

Over the past yeart I just didn't work out as I normally would, I felt sorry for myself because I got a hiatal hernia from doing HIIT, I am pretty sure all that jumping rope and sprinting contributed, and I became more and more depressed, eventually ate too much, till my physical in December was wake up call.

Now I am in overweight range, and into the fitness like I said. What keeps me motivated is looking in the mirror at the muscle tone I am developing.

I think strength/reistance training may be a better way to go for a lot of us, but that is just my opinion.

Please add me, will try to be encouraging.
  • bluesy8899
    bluesy8899 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! I haven't contributed much here so far due to a crazy schedule but hope to look in now and then to see how you are all doing. I'm finishing up a grad school semester along with an assistantship and my job. I am really proud of myself for sticking to my nutrition and exercise goals through all this. It hasn't been pretty and I haven't always made the best choices but I'm trying to make lasting changes.
    As I mentioned before, I have thyroid cancer and am on levoxyl. I have some cells that never responded to treatment and as a result, I'm on the highest dose to repress them. It could be an excuse for how heavy I was and I have played that card before but I am capable of losing weight. It is ultimately my choice.
    I started strength training and exercise back in October and it has been a huge blessing. I can do things I didn't think possible a year ago. I had to plug in my computer yesterday and the nearest plug was under my desk. I did a lunge to reach the socket and just reversed it to stand back up. A year ago I would have been looking for a chair to balance on or better yet asked someone else to do it. It makes me grateful that my body is recovering from all the terrible food and poor lifestyle choices I was throwing at it for so many years.
    I hope you all have a great day! I hope to be here more often to see how you are all getting along with your goals.
  • mewood72437
    mewood72437 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have had a good week. I Joined our local women can run program back in March and signed up to do a 5k next Saturday. I've had a hard time getting motivated, but FINALLY this week I have walked 3.4 miles on Monday. Again on Tuesday and again yesterday. I am going again this evening and again tomorrow morning. We've been walking up and down hills. Monday I was practically hyperventilating while going up the first hill, but yesterday I did not have any trouble walking up it.. Yay me!! I have also been eating much healthier, but still craving sugar. and have managed to lose a pound or two this week.
  • Refrigerator1
    Refrigerator1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi!!

Just like Scott said-weekends are tough. And I feel he is absolutely right about planning, planning, planning. I do so much better if I get up think about the day and log my whole meal plan while I am drinking my coffee. If I am going to dinner, I look at the restaurants menu and log all the nutrition data too. No surprises and I hold myself accountable to my food diary. It doesn't always work out (stuff comes up) but for the most part it works. I do the same with exercise. Just make a plan according to schedule, weather, physical and mental condition and then figure out when I will get it in. Needless to say, I am not a fly by the seat of your pants kind of person. LOL

So, what is everyone's plan for the weekend?
  • majomi1579
    majomi1579 Posts: 20
    Options
    If you have room for another - I'm in! I also have a hypothyroid controlled by meds. In addition, I am diabetic and maintaining a low carb diet is so important (and difficult). I used to be extremely active and was in the gym every day. After I was diagnosed diabetic I sort of lost my steam and fell off. I gained a lot of weight and felt worse than I ever felt in my life. I am now back on track, I have lost 15 lbs. and I try to do some sort of cardio at least 3 times a week. My goal for May is to increase my cardo to 4 times a week. So, I need lots of support and am glad to take the journey with you :flowerforyou:
  • Addylouise
    Addylouise Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody sounds like things are going good, my leg is better now and I have had a busy day. My 2 yr old grandson is spending the weekend with me and boy is he keeping me on my toes he is very active and ornery. Spent part of the day taking care of things here on the farm had to repair the gate on the goat pen because Nanny figured out how to get out, she's just as ornery as my grandson LOL!!! A lot of the work I did today I couldn't put down as exercise I couldn't find anything to match it with in the list. Everybody have a great healthy, fit and wonderful weekend and remember nothing taste as good as absolute health and energy feels.
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,

Thought I would post early get some things done around the house and then head out to see what kind of trouble me and my son can get into today! Going to first start off the day with walking the dogs. For breakfast going to mix up my shake and then prepare a few snack bags for me and the my son so we have some go to snacks in the car.

What is everyones plans for today?

bluesy8899: It may not alwasy be pretty or right on point but you are making an effort to do something and that is the key to success is to keep trying. We may fall 7 times but we have to get up taht 8th time and press on! Earlier in the posting I posted something that has helped me tremendously is just focus on one thing a week! Make one small change a week and in a few months you have made significant changes in your lifestyle! Keep up the great work!

mewood72437: Congrats on joining a run club! This will give you some extra motivation once you meet up with the group and start forming some bonds with the ladies! In the mean time if you find that you are struggling with motivation to get your run or workout in here is a little tip that a good friend taught me a few years back.

If you workout after work: When you get home imediatly changing into your workout gear! Don't sit down for a rest get in your gear and sometimes this alone will help you over come that lack of motivation to get it done.

If you workout in the morning: The moment you step out of bed put your workout gear on! Again it can help you bust through those mental road blocks that keep us from getting it done!

Refrigerator1: Indeed it is a small thing to do but it has huge impact on the success of our reaching our goals!

majomi1579: Heck yeah we have room! Congrats on the recent weight loss! That is a great start and we are here to help you take this to the finish line! Keep up the great work and let us know what is working for you so maybe someone else can take advantage of your success.

Addylouse: Great to hear you leg is feeling busy! Oh you are in for some activity with your grandson! :smile: You have a great weekend with your grandson and keep and eye on that goat! :smile:

Well off to put my plan into action!

DIG DEEP TEAM! WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER!

-Scott
  • rkmeyer41
    rkmeyer41 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the add Scott you and your group sound like you have the motivation going that I can really use right now!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @mewood - Good for you! It's great to have others to walk/run with. Good luck with your 5k!

@addylouise - maybe log it as gardening or yardwork - will probably give you a reasonably close estimate

@scott - sadly (or maybe gladly, I'm not really sure) the cardio stamina/endurance isn't the issue - it's the ankle. But I'm afraid that every day that passes, I lose a little more of my fitness.

I agree with everyone about planning being key. During the week I generally pre-log all my food for the day. Weekends it's harder to do, but I try to at least have a general plan of attack.

Did 15 miles (my "short route") on the bike yesterday. Pretty painful by the end, but I was glad to have finished it. Red sox game today, but came home and lifted some weights after. Have a wedding shower tomorrow. Going to try to get in an early morning ride. I wish it could be an early morning run, but I'll have to take what I can get right now.
  • Addylouise
    Options
    Thanks ka97 I thought about doing that but wasn't sure if it would work. I am so excited and happy, since I have been in this group with all of you with your tips and encouragement I have been able to fight the false hunger and not over eat. My blood sugars were down to 134 today and that is quite the feat, my sugars had been running up towards the 400's for a long time. I finally feel like I am in control now and not my body. Thank you so much everybody for the motivation and the encouragement. God Bless :flowerforyou:
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Addylouise - Yea! That is a great accomplishment.

Yesterday was only ok for me from a food perspective. I went over a little on calories (about 100) but I didn't eat badly - just a bit too much. And, I didn't really exercise except for a little tennis with my kids before dinner.

Today I went to the gym and worked out for a little over an hour. I am going to eat lunch in a few minutes then my daughter asked me to go play tennis again. I have tons of other stuff I "should" be doing around the house. But, the weather is nice and how can I say no to an 8 year old that actually WANTS to do something that gets her outside and moving around.

Have a nice day everyone!
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My whole family ran the Sprint into Summer 5k yesterday. way great we all finished within seconds of each other with the exception of my 5 yo, who ran the kids 1/2 mile fun run. He's a bit to young for a full on 5k yet. But soon. Wore me out though. Had to take an hour nap later that day and biofreeze the knees. Still walking around a little stiff today. I must have ran hard. It's weird, I can run 4 miles and be fine the next day, but run an actual 5k race and I am sore for a day and a half. Oh well, that is life. Week 5 of combat starts for me tomorrow. I am really liking this program.
  • MichiganJen
    MichiganJen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Busy weekend here, so just checking in. Welcome all newcomers!

Took an unexpected rest day Friday, so walked 3 hilly miles yesterday (into the wind both ways - how does that happen?) and hit the gym for a full body strength session. Let me just go on record as saying I hate lunges with a singular passion!

I usually try to make lunches for the week on Sunday. This week I have minestrone and broccoli and cheese mini omelets from the Skinnytaste site. I highly recommend her site for great healthy recipes using mostly whole foods. We make at least four dinners from her recipes a week.

Tomorrow will be a challenge...lunch at Olive Garden and no convenient time to hit the gym. Give me strength!!

Have a good evening all!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Injured/f'd up Achilles since the end of January. Missed a half marathon that I really wanted to do along with missing out on dozens and dozens of running highs. Tried to turn the negative into a positive by focusing on core and upper body. Now I realize crap happens and I'm happy with what I have accomplished in just over two years.
  • morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I really need to hang out here. I was very depressed to find upon reflection in January that not a single thing that I was trying to change the year before had changed for the better. I let losing a friend push me off my exercise path and then ate horribly through the holidays and gained 25 pounds. Because of a long history of abusing my body with purging, my metabolism is a fickle thing. It took me years go get my metabolism to trust me and to not gain weight on 800 calories a day. I am eating a healthy 1500 calories (a nutritionist did a Resting Metabolic Rate and this is mine) and working out for an hour a day. All that said...I don't lose weight. I have been evaluated for every medical condition and was being pushed by my husband to get Gastric Bypass because he is worried about the health risks of my being overweight but I want to do this in a healthy way.

I am committed to health. I am going to continue eating healthy food in sane proportions and I am not going to start throwing up again. I am going to find healthy relationships and do new things that excite me. I would love any support you have and I would love to support you in your journey.

I am in a good place emotionally right now but I know that after a month or two of really hard workouts, my lack of weight loss is going to hurt. I am going to need help pushing through those feelings.
  • Addylouise
    Options
    I love reading all the post from everyone, we have a lot of runners, swimmers and strength training and reading about all the activity that you do motivates me to be more active. I had a great weekend but didn't do as well with my food today had a bbq with family, but I still stayed within my calories. I will get back on track tomorrow and I think I am going to break out my resistance bands and get a better cardio than counting my house and farm chores. I want to try yoga and see if it will help with the muscle and joint pain, I have I found an app to download to my computer I want to try out tomorrow. I realize it will probably take sometime to see good results. Thanks for the advice and the encouragement, everyone have a great Monday. :bigsmile:
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!

I didn't get a chance to log in yesterday! We had a very busy day with scouting and with getting some chores done before my wife and daughter got home from their trip! For the most part this weekend was a success. I also didn't really need to prep anythign as I still have a good amount of food from the previous week so looks like Wednesday or Thursday I will need to get some prepping don. Good news is I am down 1.5lbs from the last time I weighed in!

Have to jump on some calls and will be back to follow up with all the post! Keep up the great work everyone..

-Scott